The Great Cycle

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

The Great Cycle

Post by HEEGZ »

This thread is for any OOC planning for my Saturday night campaign: The Great Cycle

The story is open to PCs of all levels, and I am challenging myself to include more social intrigues than combat.

Rumors of these major plot hooks abound:
  • 1. The discovery of an ivory card, from the Deck of Many Things, near Baldur's Gate. [Law vs. Chaos]

2. An increase in monster activity, particularly dragonkind. [Good vs. Evil]
I am also working with a different approach to DMing this time around. I am generating lots of plot hooks and will leave it to the players to drive the narrative. So far, this has worked pretty well, with this allowing me to DM a diverse group of PCs each weekend across multiple plot threads. There is an over-arching narrative, which I will gradually weave together. I will leave things mostly up to player initiative to drive future plot revelations and thus the story.

What designs, if any, do your characters have for the next Saturday session?
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: The Great Cycle

Post by Zelknolf »

Once Teresa hears about this Great Cycle thing, she will likely want to talk to the reading man about it and would likely invite the established heroic sorts in the region to the talk.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Aglaril and Calil have already asked about picking things up tomorrow. Perhaps they will respond to your call, and we can have a planning session in the Spires tomorrow, and all interested parties can attend? I'm willing to go wherever this takes us, and we could probably stand for some IC organization of the various PCs on the server.

BTW, anyone interested in some meta info about the two plot points see:

Turning of the Great Cycle

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... 83#p619783
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonfall_War
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dracorage_mythal

Deck of Many Things

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm

I would just ask that you limit your PC's actions and knowledge to those things that they have discovered in game.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Kata is in Ruqel currently

and has interest in pursuing the card info certainly and the lore-masters info has piqued her interest in the dragon issue
Spoiler:
Just waiting for Toby to tell her what he has learned on both it and the dragon from the library at Candlekeep
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

It would be good if all parties from the Rogue Card/Candlekeep quest line, plus the Red Dragon/Velsaert quest line would attend the assemblage at the Spires for tomorrow night's session. I'll be on hand to handle any questions and NPCs. It will be nice to see all of the PCs have a moment in the spotlight and help to shed some light on what is known so far.

Depending on how long the meeting takes, there should hopefully be some time to have a follow up session where the PCs can decide on a course of action at the meeting, and then pursue a quick first step before we call it a night.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Good stuff; I'm guessing Aglaril probably won't be available tomorrow night but I look forward to participating in future sessions. He obviously has rather keen interest in this stuff especially after hearing Velsaert's recitation, which alarmed him a good deal.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Planning to log in around 10pm CST tonight. Session should be at the Spires, and be a Rivendell-esque meeting of sorts. All of this pending which PCs show up of course.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Sorry Mael still has the card and R l has me away this weekend.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

oldgrayrogue wrote:Sorry Mael still has the card and R l has me away this weekend.
Last week we went with the card being in someone else's possession. You can return it to me later.
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

Cant wait for game tonight!
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Gamespy: BigDaddyBones
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I have company over, I should be able to start at 10pm CST, the normal time. Might be a bit late if they stick around longer than I expect.

Have any plans been made for this session by the PCs involved?
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

Sadly been absent this week due to a very sick family. Ill go with flow i guess.
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

We were expecting word from Bozwell's contacts.

Teresa was also going to rummage through her library/ the stacks at Candlekeep and flex her crazy-high knowledge (arcana) skills to try to figure out which if any goodly dragons can be contacted in the region.

It didn't sound like anyone else had plans.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Kata was planning on being around

Provided her handler can get decent connection tonite
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

Oh, as far as the card goes, I think a detailed drawing had made of it to do the research etc.
PC