A Guardgoyle is Born

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
Ksiel
Frost Giant

A Guardgoyle is Born

Post by Ksiel »

*Thwomp thwomp thwomp*

A lavender book with gold bindings flapped around the room. If one was observant and not completely mystified by the fact that a book… no… books were flying around this room like birds over a field one may notice the small petite lady sitting in the far end of the room at a tiny desk. A single candle burns shedding it’s flickering light. She sits book in hand…

*Thwomp thwomp thwomp*

Nova sat at the desk in the small library down deep below the House of Wonder. Besides the lab, this study was her favorite place to spend her time. For such a small library, there was more than she expected as far as topics and knowledge in regards to the weave and arcane. It was a place of respite that reminded her of home in the halls of Candle keep. Using the light from the candle on her desk, she read through the small green covered book, Blades of the Moon by Danilo Thann. Completely enthralled in the pages, the footsteps coming down the hall never registered, and it was until one of the flying books nudged her that she took notice of someone coming to the study.

“Oh! Thank you!” Setting the book down not marking the page, she never forgot the page she was on in any book. A gift from Mystra her guardian would say as a kid. Listening to the footsteps getting closer, Nova stands, sits, and stands again. Excitement beginning to wash over her. “Did he get it? Do they know that I was asking for it? Oh, Mystra do not let them know, I had to… no other choice…even from the Thayans… “ A myriad of other thoughts flashed through her mind in the brief few moments until the door creaked open.

A common looking elf steps in closing the door behind him. Walking towards her, he mutters a phrase under his breath and his body begins to shift and meld into his true form, a robed dwarf with a perfectly manicured beard. “What a blessed spell…” she thinks to herself for a moment.

Grommrick, a rune mage of the stout folk made his way to her. His blue robes like his beard, always in place and immaculate. While a bit frictional, Nova had come to trust and rely on him greatly. She knew that between the two of them, her prayers and his spells, they could weave together new creations.

Grom made his way across the small library, “Hey ya!”

“Oh Grom! Did you get it? Do you have it? Did anyone know it was you?”, Nova hops forward ringing her hands nervously blurting out question after question not allowing Grom a chance to speak.

“Take ye a breath…" speaking over her. "Did ye not send me after it? Course I have it and none the wiser!”, Grom reaches in his satchel and pulls out a gray covered book with black bindings. To Nova even the style of their books and penmanship, conveyed their desire to control and their pervasiveness. How could that be said by just how a book appeared, but Nova could see it. It disgusted her to get such a book through them, and why Grom was willing to take on the task. For the creation of something new, new magic, and for the Weavmother. This is what she kept telling herself.

Hopping forward again, Nova reaches out for the book. Her eyes and hair start to twinkle as if starlight was captured in her locks. Another gift from Mystra her guardian would joke about, a joke she would say as she had never seen it herself. “Oh Grom… this is so wonderful! You are marvelous! I wish we did not have to deal with the Thayans... but...” Quickly flipping it open she sets it on the small desk under the single candle.

“Lassie... what in tha hells you doing? A candle? Really? Ye be in the halls of magic, and ye have flame in a room full of books? Ye lost yer mind?” Grom snaps his fingers and the orbs mounted to the walls of the library begin to glow with a soothing gold light brightening the room. Grom walks over to the desk and takes the candle and pinches out the flame with his thumb and forefinger.

Nova not even knowing what Grom was talking to her about, “uh huh, sure Grom…Oh! Why would they use that? Have you looked at this yet? Look at the symbols… they are so barbaric… purely force the weaves together, there is no symbiotic relationship… yes yes… once we break this down, we will make a much stronger guardgoyle… and if we intertwine the arcane and divine… yes yes… Oh! Look at this! No no… so rudimentary…”
Her hair was twinkling even brighter than before, Grom lets out a huff of breath through his beard then quickly straightens any miss aligned hairs. “Mystra be merciful, I know what this mean…see ye like this before. I will go get us some food and drink. I can tell we will be here awhile… do not get too far ahead!” Never peering up from the book, Nova just nods in agreement obviously not a word had registered, “sure Grom… whatever you want…”

With a sour face, Grom turns and makes his way out of the library. Grumbling under his breath every step, but a dwarf would see it. A grin lay underneath that perfectly groomed beard and while he would never admit it, even Grom had a little hop in his step as he went to gather supplies. Thinking to himself, “what marvels shall we make…”

As the door to the library slowly closed, Grom looked back and the flying books circled over Nova, and he speaks softly, ”aye… marvels we shall make” The eerie but comforting sounds of the books flying followed him as he made his way to the portal.

*Thwomp thwomp thwomp*
Current PC: Anovallis "Nova" Starmane

Retired but not forgotten: Bhael Ezri, Blaise Dawnbright, Bastian Cross, Tristan Celvante, Logan Castill, Dorian Orthallas, Kharak Aza'DeDuin, Nyx