Letters Home

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
forwhat
Goblin Scout

Letters Home

Post by forwhat »

A letter written in flowing elvish, with near perfect handwriting. It is addressed to the estate of the Arandels of Taltempla of Evermeet.

Dear Eltaor Arandel

I bring greetings from this strange and horrifying city of Waterdeep. This missive is long overdue, and for that you have my deepest apologies. Boats do not often make for Evermeet, and I have been absorbed in my work. So much has happened since I was sent on this trip, that I'm wondering where to even start. I suppose I shall begin with how my art has developed..

This city is loose with its arcane secrets. For a mere bag of coins, one can obtain spells capable of wreaking havoc, and slaying countless civilians. Incredible power is traded among the cities inhabitants like one would trade for silks and jewels. A far cry from the decades I spent slowly winning over the masters of Taltempla, where every cantrip one pries from their lips comes with a screed on the virtues of patience. My own art once a mere candles flame, has been set ablaze, this city my kindling. I have mastered many of the lady of mysteries secrets, and I now command a potent arsenal of magic. The genius of the ar'tel'quessir shines brightly here. The humans lavish me with praise, and heap treasures at my feet. Under these conditions, I have reached the fourth circle far faster than my masters intended. When I return home, it shall be on a ship laden with arcane marvels, and fabulous wealth. I shall have an estate befitting our station built, and those that doubted the authenticity of our art will look like fools.

The catch is that these studies are funded mostly by mercenary work. I have joined an organization whose purpose is to sic themselves on the enemies of Waterdeep. The dangers of this profession are many, but without their facilities, camaraderie, and sponsorship, my work could not proceed at this pace, so my inclusion in their guild is necessary. Transactional as our relationship may sound, I have found the lot of them to be quite agreeable. So much so, that I find myself frequently visiting their fallen's graves. It was a pity what happened to them. I'll spare you the gory details. I am quite disappointed in myself for letting it happen. I shall master some spell, reach some new height, such that an incident like that does not repeat itself.

During my first weeks in Waterdeep, a woman by the name of Solenne swore herself to me, and our house. It seems she was bewitched by the grace of The People. We can consider her our (first) retainer, as she has proven herself loyal to us, and vital to my well-being ever since I arrived here. I would like very much to bring her back home with me. I shall ensure she is well fed, and teach her some of our tongue. I believe I am ready for the responsibility. I hope you'll not think too poorly of me for bringing an n'tel'quess to the emerald island. You two will get along.

Much more has transpired since I arrived here, but this letter is growing long, so I shall save it for the next. If my masters ask, try not to divulge to them the circle I have reached. I would hate to be recalled before taking full advantage of my position here. Despite this, I look forward to the day I return home. Until next time,

-Liathel