Clues riddles and mysteries.

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
ravin
Brown Bear

Clues riddles and mysteries.

Post by ravin »

Dark clouds slumped over the city like a sodden blanket threatening to dump their contents on the streets below. the Moon elf was glad for the hooded leather jacket that she had worn since taking the advice of that copper back in Baulders Gate. He had said that cloaks get caught on all manner of things but a close cut jacket would keep you warm and dry without the heroic nonsense.

Besides, Adventurers wore cloaks, and she was definitely NOT an adventurer.

She had come to Waterdeep looking for closure. The gold in her purse had come seeking information about the vanished daughter of a merchant family

Lyra Evergarden had been her friend. probably the only person who tolerated her for more than five minutes. probably because Lyra was an idiot. She ran off to Waterdeep when some bad promised to make her a star. her letters were promising at first but then became more and more erratic and less and less frequent.

so the family called upon her friend the self-styled consulting detective, Finnea Chaestina.

in truth Finn's skill, while considerable when compared to normal people, were still developing. she doubted she could actually find much on one woman in a city of a million people.

but what she could do was take the opertunity that had been handed to her.

"there must be as many mysteries and crimes as there are people" she thought.

it was with this in her brain that she set out toward the watch house.

before arriving there she happened across one of the city's men in uniform an elven male named Constable Aeldre Feyblade. He was skulking under the eves of the Adventurers Guild (adventurers again...) to keep out of the rain, smoking a pipe.

After a cursory exchange with him she found him to be exactilly what she would have expected from a typical city watchman

a slacker.

after hearing of her search for Lyra he even asked "have you spoken to the watch?"

she blinked at him "i just did...."

in truth she had no intentions of bringing her case to the city watch. doubtless they had far to many issues on their collective plates to care about one empty headed woman who's been missing for six months. No, she would figure it out on her own.

Feyblade reinforced that this was the best thing to do, not that she needed his praise or support. but somewhere deep inside her a small little ember flicked to life. it was nice to be validated for once.

OK, he's a slacker, but maybe not a total loss.

with that the two parted ways

Finn retired to a nearby inn to arrange her notes and rest from the journey

she watched from the window as Waterdeep, under the cloak of rain, whispered promises of secrets and mysteries to be solved
Current PC:Wren Bluefeather
Finnea Chaestina

<Maxcell> as I was saying, nobody steps on a virtual crotch like Ravin
ravin
Brown Bear

Re: Clues riddles and mysteries.

Post by ravin »

the Fun-eral, one to watch

Finnea escaped the rain into the dimly lit interior of the Elfstone tavern. She was hoping to find a friendly respite from the everpresent downpour. What she found was Constable Feyblade sitting in congenial conversation with a Sun Elf female. the pair were enjoying a casual drink. Finn almost winced as he called out to her and motioned her over, even going so far as to offer his chair. Finn, out of some strange, curious fascination , didn't refuse.
After the initial pleasentries were exchanged the woman introduced herself as Luva. Little more of her character was divulged other than she was adamant that she had not been acquainted with a recently deceased member of the elven community. Finn felt that she may have been protesting a bit too strenuoiously.

that being mentioned Feyblade excused himself to go prepare for the funeral of Valyar Floshin , the aforementioned deceased. Luva also excused herself as well saying that she would see the gathered at the funeral.

"funeral?" Finn thought " i wasn't aware i was invited"

After Luva left she looked at Feyblade

"how can I help" she offered

" Stick close to Luva, watch her. She knew Valyar Floshin. i'm curious as to how" he smiled before going off to order the necessary libations

the funeral was an average affair, the deceased was missed by friends and toasted in turn. Until finn spotted a Dwarf dressed in pink mingling amid the mourners. his face was not the mask of sorrow that adorned the others. he was annoyed, huffy and ill at ease. in short, trouble.

it was not long before her initial assessment proved correct.the suspect in question one Leopold Lapworth began a meandering story of a singed robe and his hatred for the deceased before proceeding to dump the cremated remains on the floor and stomp on them like a fitful child. the whole time Luva seemed quite distraught, her fingers tracing her ear her eyes searching the faces of those assembled common tells of one who is in distress. Finn felt it in her gut that this was more than just distress at the dwarf's behavior.

what happened next shocked, and surprised everyone and annoyed the seven hells out of Finn. Feyblade stood before the assembly and said
"I want to try and end this on the sort of exciting and dangerous note that I believed Valyar chased and enjoyed in life.

We though have a special guest, someone who may have known Valyar Floshin longer and better then any of us...I now invite Luva Sine'de to step forward and tell us what Valyar meant to her, and means to him still....and accept his Urn."

Finn nearly choked on the wine she was drinking. he had just undone all of her careful observation. the target now knew she was being watched, more over she was now the center of attention. Everything Finn had done was worthless. if this place weren't peopled with mourners she would stuff HIM in the urn,

Luva gave a few half-hearted protests to his statement. Fin added her own observations as backup.

"i'm sorry, but your tells say otherwise"

eventually she moved to take the urn. She spoke at length and with affection about legacy and the future all while clutching the urn to her chest before turning to leave

"his daughter" the words escaped Finn amid the crowd milling around in confusion. her gut again spoke to her and it was saying that Luva had a close familial attachment, daughter was likely from the way she cared so much about legacy and how people remembered him.

"of course it could just be the same soul in another body...." she postulated.

as the funeral broke up she approached Feyblade and trying to control her anger spoke as evenly as possible.

"Why did you have me watch her if you were going to do this? why waste my genius?"

Without a word he motioned for her to be silent and follow him. she complied, begrudgingly.

Feyblade grabbed a bottle of wine and led her into a nearby portal that let out into a shaded forest grove.
Fin had no idea that such a place was so close at hand, she was aghast.
the two exchanged thoughts on Luva's relation to Valyar Floshin. he tested her knowledge and deduction skills at length he said
"did you think that maybe it was less about watching her and more about weather you COULD watch her?" he sipped his wine
"the Community needs good and capable people, think about it. you may have a lot to offer."

With that, the enigmatic self-indulgent slacker stood, finished the bottle , said his farewells and headed back through the portal leaving Finn to ponder

" was that just a job offer?"

would she even fit in with the watch?

Current PC:Wren Bluefeather
Finnea Chaestina

<Maxcell> as I was saying, nobody steps on a virtual crotch like Ravin