The Gambling Pawn

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
jmecha
Illithid

Re: The Gambling Pawn

Post by jmecha »

"REVENGE!"
"Ya! REVENGE!"
"Lets kill everyone of them shadow sucking bastards for what they have done!"

"Easy there Prawns, let us not start swearing blood oaths before breakfast. Perhaps it would be best if we examined what Revenge in this case may actually be, before making that the primary object of our united War Effort?"

"Na, fuck that! We want revenge against them murderous fucks!"
"Ya them sons of shadow killed Timmy Timbers, and Sammy Storm, and Willy Winds!"
"Not to mention everyone else them fucks killed!"
"Ya! Not even counting our own they killed the Siren! They got death coming for that shit alone!"
"We need to do them Dock Side Style!"

With both hands open and slowly raised, Pawn Xandos Klaxxan gestured for the Prawns to slow down while he took a demonstrative deep breath and slowly controlled the exhale. "Perhaps what you want is Justice?"

"No fuck that, We want Revenge!"
"Ya! Revenge!"

"Alright then.....who here can tell me the difference between the two?"

"Justice involves the Magisters and shit, and the other actually gets shit done!"

It was times like these Pawn Klaxxan's hand instinctively raised the knuckle of his index finger and his thumb to massage the bridge of his nose as if to get a preemptive strike in against the headache that was to come. "First off...Justice, while perhaps poorly administered and at times and can be questionable here in Waterdeep, is vital to motivating those who need motivation to behave in a manner that allows civilization to exist. Where as Revenge is a desire to take external actions in an effort to avoid coming to terms with our own internal thoughts and feelings."

Their internal review of his words was almost audible as the child sized gears began to spin between their ears, and then came to a stop.

"Na! Fuck that! We want Revenge!"

"Very well, You all want revenge. I will not argue the idiocy of it with you any longer, in time perhaps you will come to terms with the reality of things, but for now let us move on."

"Ya lets move on to the Revenge!"

"No....I am going to share with you my desired end state for this War."

The silent disappointment was almost deafening.

"Ideally I want to end this War as quickly and swiftly as possible, while preserving as many lives as possible. Secondary, I would like to leave the enemy in a position in which a second war is not a viable option for a long time to come, so Waterdeep may recover from this war and be prepared for another should it come."

"What sort of shit is that? Why not kill'em all?"

"Fair question, lets begin with most of them are already dead and simply animated undead. Secondly I am fairly certain that We do not have the means to hunt down and kill everyone of the Nightsinger's Followers, and even if we did, She would inevitably attract and draw new followers to Her nocturnal flock. So instead of making an impossible and rather meaningless goal, my desired end state, I am aiming for something practical.....such as preserving what Waterhavian lives and infrastructure we can, so when the War is ended there remains a functioning Waterdeep full of life worth living in."

"Fuck that! We want Revenge!"

Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith