Citadel Correspondence

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
jmecha
Illithid

Citadel Correspondence

Post by jmecha »

*Three separate copies of the letter are sent to the Citadel of Strategic Militancy addressed to the Order of the Pawn using different courier services. Each is encased in a sturdy water proof box containing copies of the first three chapters of the Adventurer's Guide Xandos Klaxxan has been working to research and write. Each box also contains a Trade Bar.*

Mirtul 12th,The Melting
1400 Dale Reckoning the Year of Lost Ships

Order of the Pawn
Citadel of Strategic Militancy

Region: Sword Coast
City: Waterdeep
Address: Southern Ward Adventurer's Quarter, Shop Street,
Madame Garah's Boarding House, Room Six
Source: Pawn Xandos Klaxxan

Report: I arrived to Waterdeep Tarsakh 1st, 1400 DR, and have lived amoungst and adventured beside various members of the City's adventuring community, most of which have been members of or allies of the City's Adventurer's Guild located in the city's Southern Ward in a section known as the Adventurer's Quarter.

Currently the Dock Wards of the city are experiencing the violent turmoil of rival gang factions competing for control of the city's poorer districts. The two competing factions appear to be the City's previously established Thieves Guild known as the Forsaken of Tymora and the recently arrived Plague Rats. It appears the Forsaken are rapidly losing ground as the Plague Rats use the spread of disease as a form of conscription.

Many of the people of the Dock Ward are impoverished and incapable of maintaining good health or seeking proper medical care while the Plague Rats have worked to aggressively see the spread of sickness and illness amoungst their numbers. Then in turn the Plague Rats offer a place in their ranks to those who are made most desperate by these withering diseases. Teaching these desperate new recruits how to weaponize their illness and how to further spread it amongst others while turning to depraved lives of debauched murderous thievery while celebrating the Goddess and Mother of All Plagues.

The City's Officials have yet to declare any formal address in regards to the rise of the Plague Rats, though the City's Watch in the Dock Wards can often be found combating both criminal factions during their patrols in an effort to keep citizens safe from the violence.

A Church of Selune sponsored Soup Kitchen in the Dock Wards appears to have had some success in slowing the rise of Plague Rat numbers. The Soup Kitchen is ran by a man named Tomas and offers nourishment and respite from the ravages of illness that is an alternative to joining the ranks of Plague Rats. Tomas himself is also interested in capturing Plague Rats and offering them a chance of rehabilitation.

The Adventurer's Guild has decided that defeating the rising Plague Rats is to be their current goal. I suspect this is because several of their members having been slain by Plague Rats in the last month and or contracted what appears to be a currently incurable disease or curse placed upon them after coming in close contact with an altar dedicated to the Mother of All Plagues. In an effort to see the poor of the region defended from further ravaging and to strengthen bonds between the Guild and myself, I have worked to provide the Adventurer's Guild efforts some direction and organization, as well as fought alongside them against the Plague Rats in several conflicts.

The time I have spent with the Adventurer's Guild has revealed to me a systematic lack of leadership, organization, and discipline throughout the entire organization. It is more or less little more then a crowded Estate House filled with individuals lacking anything resembling discipline, direction, or standards other then a willingness to expose each other and themselves to danger in order to acquire quick riches and boasting rights.

I was offered a position of Battle Commander within the Adventurer's Guild by it's current leader, an Elf by the name of Dorian Orthallas. It was Dorian Orthallas desire that the Battle Commander could instill discipline and organization upon the various battle fields without working to develop and maintain discipline or standards within the Guild off the battlefield. I declined his position.

Request: With the permission of the Order of the Pawn, I would like to use some of the resources acquired from successful adventures to begin a saving to invest in acquiring property within the City of Waterdeep to establish barracks capable of providing housing for a small team to further facilitate the continued research. It is my concerned that the disorganization of the Adventuer's Guild coupled with their lack of standards and discipline makes continued reliance upon them a liability to not only the continuation of the research, but also to the lives of the researcher. I make this request in hope that the wisdom of the order will see fit to approve of this investment. If so it is my intention to work to select those I trust to help facilitate the continued research to live and work together in an effort to better train and prepare for the coming challenges. In time if successful I would also with your permission see funds generated by continued success directed towards cultural and community works within the City of Waterdeep. I believe that with time great works could be done here through careful investments and alliance building amoungst reputable organizations such as the Third Circle, the Church of Selune, Oghma's House of Knowledge, and the Temple of Tempus here known as the House of Heroes.

I intend the next chapters of the tome to include means and methods of combating in fiery environments, combating undead forces, and mitigating the risks of underwater combat and navigation. I patiently await what guidance I may receive.

Pawn Xandos Klaxxan
Last edited by jmecha on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
jmecha
Illithid

Re: Citadel Correspondence

Post by jmecha »

wrote: Your missives have been well received and we have begun archiving your duly written strategies. They should make for excellent material for future delegations should you fail to complete your duties there.

We are in concurrence with your desire to expand the Order of the Pawn and have enclosed two letters of introduction for the Temple of Tempus and for Torm. It is our strong suggestion that you seek out these allies as you try to bring order to the more chaotic areas of the city.

We have also enclosed a helm that befits your stature as you build a new order and spread the influence of the Red Knight.

-Grand Pawn
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Once more,three separate copies of the letter are sent to the Citadel of Strategic Militancy addressed to the Order of the Pawn using different courier services. Each is encased in a sturdy water proof box containing copies of the next three chapters of the Adventurer's Guide Xandos Klaxxan has been working to research and write. Each box also contains a Trade Bar.*

Mirtul 31st,The Melting

Order of the Pawn

Address: House of Heroes, Temple Ward

Report: Contact with the House of Heroes has been made as advised. High Sword of Tempus Turik Bloodhelm proved eager to see the long abandoned shrine to the Lady of the Lanceboard and barracks beneath the House of Heroes once more filled with the faithful and worthy.

In an effort to see the shrine and barracks improved upon a Lanceboard Tournament amoungst the City of Splendor's Adventuring Community has been organized with all proceeds being used to cover the costs of the renovations needed to improve upon the House of Heroes existing capabilities.

Contact with the Third Circle servants of Torm have not yet been made.

The current residents I have invited to stay within the House of Heroes Barracks and work towards furthering the research are as follows.

Rako Ca'tra former student of the Citadel of Strategic Militancy, Master Crossbowman and Weapon Forger. Should I fall Rako Ca'tra will have instructions to carry on with the research until a replacement is sent.

Nawiethralia Yanoset, an elven maiden who claims to have studied reconnaissance at the Citadel of Strategic Militancy and I have yet to see prove her claims.

Faenor Grok Brightblade, Dwarven paragon and armor smith who has proven himself not only an impossibly stalwart ally on the battlefield but a must trusted companion.

Kull of Ruathym, a savage barbarian and follower of Uthgar who is as much a liability as he is an asset. In time and training I believe it is possible he may transition the dangerous amateur he is into a most competent and capable warrior.

A few chapters remain before the first book of the series is complete.

Pawn Xandos Klaxxan
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Once more,three separate copies of the letter are sent to the Citadel of Strategic Militancy addressed to the Order of the Pawn using different courier services. Each is encased in a sturdy water proof box containing copies of the final chapters of the Adventurer's Guide Xandos Klaxxan has been working to research and write. Each box also contains a Trade Bar.*

Eleasis 28th,Highsun

Order of the Pawn

Address: House of Heroes, Temple Ward

Report:

The Adventurer's Field Manual's final pages are enclosed with this letter and I thank you for the opportunity you have provided me by sending me to learn and serve by researching the lessons I have scribed to the pages. It is my hope that they reach you safely and the works prove valuable to those who read them.

In the time since my last correspondence the war against the Plague Rats has been won through decisive action upon the battlefield to break their base of power. In a Strategic efforts to cripple the Plague Rat's ability to easily conscript from the local population I have created the Foundry, which is a nonprofit crafting facility capable of refining ore into workable metals, and allows the previously impoverished and unemployed staff livable fair wages in exchange for their honest work which provides arms and armor for the Lord's Alliance and the Field of Triumph. Many of the current staff are children who would have otherwise resorted to crime or selling their bodies for coins. In time those who are willing will learn the disipline needed to become craftsmen, and develop the skills needed to keep the Lord's Alliance well equipped for future armed conflicts.

In addition to this I was asked by High Sword of Tempus Turik Bloodhelm to represent The House of Heroes by leading a team in competition within the Waterdeep Invitational Games upon the Field of Triumph. Our victory earned the House of Heroes possession of the Champion Belt and the honored prestige that comes with holding such.

Request:

Now that my assigned research and writing has come to a close I await your orders, and humbly request that you grant me permission to await said orders here within the City of Waterdeep where I may continue to oversee the Foundry and the development of those employed there, as well as work to organize future competitive games upon the Fields of Triumph which may serve to inspire others to compete as their best selves and learn the lessons of participating in such fierce competition.

Pawn Xandos Klaxxan