New campaign on MS

The Crew of the Queen Robyn is a player group operating on The Moonshaes, with plot centered on seafaring intrigue in the service of Queen Alicia Kendrick. The premise of the campaign is that all of the player characters are privateers, and joining the campaign involves being recruited to serve on The Queen Robyn.

Moderators: Zelknolf, FoamBats4All

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: New campaign on MS

Post by Zelknolf »

Welcome aboard, then!

Looks like our group breakdown is something on the order of...

Will Attend...
Rumple_C
Witchdoctor
Mick
kiyoti
Peter_Abelard
oldgrayrogue
pangolin

Expressed Interest, but did not respond to timeslots...
dergon darkhelm

Waiting for group to include current level, and will join then...
Xanthea

Waiting for group to include current level, but participation is conditional...
Adanu

I've also added a tl;dr version of my particular set of DMly rules, if the wall of text is too intimidating. I know I can be wordy sometimes.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

So! Tooled the Queen Robyn over the weekend. We'll probably have to spend a little bit getting all of the features to work (e.g. balance check when running in rough seas; penalties for swinging large weapons in the more-cramped spaces; some distinct areas for boarding/being boarded; convenient ways to transition between those two sets of areas), so we at least have decks, quarters, a kitchen, and a big meeting/dining/surgery table (because what's sanitation? It'll be centuries before we get a germ theory of disease!). And super cramped spaces. Also working ballistae. They look amazing.

It's at least enough to get started.

I've got to work on another ACR release to fix some stuff, so we might have to get creative if you guys manage to get on a boat and get boarded and/or board someone on your first day. Seems unlikely though.

Also turns out that a lot of the ship models in our haks would absolutely not be available in Forgotten Realms in 1381, but they seem to have shipped with the game. So that's fun. I'm not sure we can do anything about that except try to have fun anyway. Brigs (the boat type) are definitely not a thing IC, though; I shake a fist at Heero.
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

Yay! A kitchen! :D
...and some other really important stuff.

Thanks for all the work your doing on this and the rest of ALFA!
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Gamespy: BigDaddyBones
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Zelknolf wrote:Brigs (the boat type) are definitely not a thing IC.
Yet.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Awesome. My future Privateer is rolled and IG. Kiyoti's PC and mine have already met in Trapper's and discussed the QR. The rest of you get IG so we can start to RP and get to know each other =D.

Zelk among the millions of things on your list please note that for some reason none of the merchants I have come across on MS seem to sell cloaks.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

And I keeping getting booted on log in "Booted because CD-Key records could not be updated in the database" -- :shock:
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

oldgrayrogue wrote:And I keeping getting booted on log in "Booted because CD-Key records could not be updated in the database" -- :shock:
MS seems to be having some database issues. We're looking into it.

EDIT: Give it a try now.
pangolin
Shambling Zombie

Post by pangolin »

Greetings,
I am just now getting back into ALFA after a loooong hiatus and I wanted to see if there was still room to get in on this campaign.
"...And when they catch you, they will kill you.
But first, they must catch you..."
Richard Adams
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

If the timeslot is agreeable, we'll see you on Friday. Or I guess Saturday if you're an Aussie or a kiwi, or a self-punishing Euro.

On the building end, I've gotten cramped spaces handling in-- which is an adaptation of the squeezing rule, just for spaces where you're only really "squeezing" if you're using large weapons. So, in such spaces, light weapons, throwing weapons, scimitars* and crossbows work without penalty, as does fighting unarmed. Other weapons get -4 to hit, per "moving through too-narrow a space" rules.

*It's as close as NWN2 will have to a cutlass. That's the actual weapon that's easy to swing around on a ship, and gets a special exception because actual sailors in times when sword fights in boats were a plausible way of fighting thought it was the right size for ships, and gave up rapiers-- which were way more popular on land-- to use them on boats.

Also got ACR changes in the works to make fighting while swimming work. It needs some testing, though in the works would be to-hit and damage penalties for fighting in the water (namely, -2 to hit and half-ish damage for budgeoning and slashing weapons), and preventing spellcasters from using verbal components when they can't breathe. I might sneak another release to cover that and some errors we're getting while sending messages to swimmers before Friday's session. It would be server-only with no recompile, so the lowest-fuss release to release.

Also, for the interest of folk peering in, who might not get to see the Queen Robyn (or for anxious players who need to tide themselves over a few more days)
Spoiler:
queen_robyn_1.PNG
queen_robyn_1.PNG (818.6 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
queen_robyn_2.PNG
queen_robyn_2.PNG (960.76 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
queen_robyn_3.PNG
queen_robyn_3.PNG (240.22 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
(though I guess the exterior is decidedly unfancy from a building perspective. That's actually only a dozen placeables, and two clever scripts)
pangolin
Shambling Zombie

Post by pangolin »

8pm Fridays work great for me. I am thinking about a Halfling swashbuckler/fighter/rogue type (you need a toe to toe fighter, yes?). He can be the ship's rigger/ look out. If this sounds ok, then I will flesh him out a bit and then go ahead and roll into MS. Please let me know what you think about the concept and if there are any other needs to round the group out. Really looking forward to this game!
Richard Adams
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Well, when there's 7-10 players involved, you can pretty much get up to whatever and still be able to contribute.

Just keep in mind the original requirements-- gotta be good or good-leaning and can't screw the other party members.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Don't screw the crew.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
pangolin
Shambling Zombie

Post by pangolin »

I am comfortable with a chaotic good character.

Theres one group you should never screw
the handsome and bold that are your crew
I can make one promise that if you do
The sharks will have you with their stew

YO HO!
Richard Adams
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Everyone ready for the fun tomorrow? Probably won't be much time between me getting home from work and me having to focus mostly on setup, so if you have problems getting a character ready, probably best to figure that out sooner than later.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I'm ready! (still to roll a pc but i can manage that), though advance notice is given i wont be there the week after (sorry!).
12.August.2015: Never forget.