Shadowdeep War Planning

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Shadowdeep War Planning

Post by Cleasor »

"The only thing worse than fighting with allies, is fighting without them." Winston Churchill

Game Session Thursday, Mar 18, 9 pm EST, the Prime Material Plane Adventurers Guild Hall

The Masters of the Adventurers Guild invite all interested parties to a war planning meeting. While many, many past instances have driven wedges between us, it is time to recognize a common vital interest. The Lord Vanrak Moonstar threatens to destroy Waterdeep, and the Masked Lords have proven incompetent to stop him. It is time to form a Coalition of Adventurers to end this threat. The purpose of this meeting is to determine the following, which we all have in common interest, and whom will lead each effort:
1) Intelligence - What are our enemy's objectives? What threat are we facing? Where are they located? What are their strengths and weaknesses?
2) Plans - What are our common desired objectives? What actions should we take to seize the initiative from our enemy and then take the offensive?
3) Tactics - What are the most effective team tactics against the enemy? Where and when are we at a position of strength and they are at a position of weakness?
4) Force Protection - Which arts or prayers are effective in Shadowdeep to protect and heal ourselves?
2) Logistics - location of portals into Shadowdeep, when and where Moondoors appear, location of safehouses, how crystal mana is collected and used
5) Leadership - Who is best positioned to lead and unite our efforts during sorties?
6) Communication - How and when should we share all that is learned and accomplished?
RSVP with Vana. Thank you.

//My apologies for players where this time does not work. I'll get everyone caught up with another post.//
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Re: Shadowdeep War Planning

Post by Galadorn »

*Lorrin approaches Vana at the entrance to the Adventurer's Guild and offers his aid in the war within Shadowdeep. He tells her if he's needed at all, he can be found at the Safehaven Inn, or leave word at the Safehaven Inn with Bannor and he will meet whoever wishes at the Guild if called upon. He tells her his sword will always protect the City of Splendours and those within above and beyond what past relationships or events may imply or expect....*
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Rumors and tales circling about the Adventurers Quarter and Dock Ward relay some version of the following. Most conclude this is all bullshit.

Several adventurers recently gathered within the Adventurers Guild Hall. Vana expressed concern over something she had noticed ... the light within the Hall did not cast a shadow from some of our forms. Dorian, Gael, Cornelius and Vana all lacked shadows. Selu and Dijumi still cast a shadow. A red void door appeared in the middle of the entrance hall. Shortly after, Sarenna unexpectedly entered from the main door. She too noticed she cast no shadow. The void door remained, inviting all brave enough to enter. Four proceeded.
Within the Shadow Adventurers Quarter, they found the Guild main door open. It had been previously locked. They entered and found within the Guild members' missing shadows. These shadows spoke and reflected alternate personalities from their owners. Sarenna's shadow was not there.
They conducted a cursory search of the main floor. Doors leading upstairs or downstairs were boarded and locked. Worse yet, the liquor cabinet was empty. The smithy had two bodies lying on the floor, each near the workstations for crafting weapons and armor, respectively. The shadows did not see these individuals arrive, nor what caused their death.
They attempted to convince these shadows to accompany them back to the Prime. The shadows refused. They asked if anyone besides themselves had entered the Shadow Adventurers Guild and the shadows replied negative. They departed and found a moon door in Mouse Alley and returned to the Prime.
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Tales about the Quarter continue to speak of the Shadow existence of Waterdeep.

The Llorkhan exile Cornelius Tauber returned after more than a week of abscence. The Guild receptionist Vana Swift was later overheard within the Safehaven complaining about her job and her boss' lousy grammar.

Several adventurers left Kerrigan's Court and were later seen about Virgin's Square, at which time they disappeared for sometime. It was said that they had travelled Down Under within the Shadow realm. It seems that the notorious bard and widow, Sarenna Irithyl, struggled with and defeated her own shadow.

The cause of the conflict was apparently the shadow's terrible singing.

It is heard that a dragon flies freely about the darkened, grey skies within the Shadow world. The bravest of adventurers had confronted this menace. //Picture depicts three cowering and under cover.//

Additionally, it was said that upon returning to the Quarter, all of these adventurers save one were again casting a normal shadow. The locals were thankful that at least for now, things had returned to some normallacy. All knew that with the adventurers' meddling, this respite would not last long.
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

The following is dictated by Meister Tauber, translated then transcribed by Vana White. It is sent throughout the city.

(Fine, I'll do it. But you're paying me overtime.)
It is with great sorrow and regret that I send news of the death of Guildmaster Dorian Orthallas. He fell in the (what was that word again? Schatten what?? oh) Shadow War. He and I were on a mission to record enemy patrols and mine crystal mana, when he was slain by a Sharran Priestess. He will be gravely (sort of, he was very arrogant) missed.

The War continues. Myself, Soosh Mieroc, and newest Guild Associate Valyar Foshin (How come that totally hot Flynn didn't join you?) set out today with the purpose of capturing a Shadow Collector (Is that like the tax collector?) in order to question it to locate the Collector's Tower within Shadowdeep. Our plan was to use the spell Dimensional Anchor upon the Shadow Collector to hold it in the Prime Material Plane (like, literally?), then use Hold Monster spell to freeze it in place. We would then question it. After Wyk Whitehorn (he's a dirty old gnome) cast wards upon us, we set out east and north to find a collector. As a precaution, we cast Dimensional Anchor upon ourselves before leaving the Quarter. Immediately north of the Quarter, a collector assaulted us. He attempted to strike and seize me, but was unsuccessful. I was patient (yea, I'm so sure) and did not strike him, letting Soosh and Valyar attempt their anchor and hold. It seemed frustrated at its unsuccessful attempts to drag me into the shadow, lept into the air and flew away. We decided to try the experiment again. We walked back south to the Quarter, recast the Dimensional Anchor me, then east to the city wall. I was soon confronted with another, who was just as frustrated by its inability to pull me into the shadow. It flew away.

While we did not achieve our primary objective, we did learn that Dimensional Anchor is an effective protective spell against the Shadow Collectors' attempts to pull one into the Shadow Plane. Using this knowledge, we will hunt them on our plane until destroyed.

Signed, Master Cornelius Tauber
(and the one who does all of the real work at this place, Vana)
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Four Moon Elves arrive at the Adventurers Guild, speak to Weapon Master Tauber, then some minutes later depart, bearing the body of Guildmaster Dorian Orthallas. They leave word that the Memorial will be held on the Full Moon, in the Glade of the Stars. All who wish to celebrate Dorian Orthallas' passing to Arvandor should arrive via Seldarine Temple.

Thursday, June 3, 2100 EST.
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

On a clear, warm day in the month of Kythorn, with flowers blooming in the planters, the denizens of the Adventurers Quarter felt and heard a strange rumbling.

Faustus, a human who recently returned to Waterdeep, turned to Travis and said, "What was that? All this talk of some supposed shadow war and now you have earthquakes? I'll have another port."

Meanwhile, in the basement of the Adventurers Guild, trapped within a Magic Circle Against Evil, and held with a Dimensional Anchor, a summoned Shadow Demon spoke to its captor. It knew exactly what had caused the tremor.

jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*A letter delieverd by Pawn Xandos Klaxxan of the House of Heroes to Vana, and addressed to the Masters of the Adventurer'sGuild.*

Kythorn 8th, 1401 Dale Reckoning, Year of the Sheltered Viper

Masters of the Adventurer's Guild,

Legion records suggest there were Fourteen pieces of Resonator that was their responsablity to protect and see delievered to Vanrak's Enemies.

Missives intercepted from the enemy suggest that if only one of the Fourteen pieces were denied from us it would be a boon towards the success of Vanrak Moonstar's forces.

Intelligence indicates that the Fourteen pieces of Resonator have been gathered despite the Enemy efforts to deny them from us. I believe that together they may reveal their true value and prove a boon to our war efforts and a bane to the forces of darkness.

I am inviting you to bring the piece in possession of the Adventurer's Guild to a gathering of all Fourteen pieces so we may together learn their true value. I suggest we make this effort some place where any violent interference will not easily put civilians at undue risk. The House of Heroes has proven defensible in the past and I invite you there, though if you would preffer to assemble the collection within the Adventurer's Guild I will support your choice.

I will be reaching out to the House of Wonders so they may send a representative of the Church of Mystra to this gathering to bear witness and offer their expert opinion.

Pawn Xandos Klaxxan of the House of Heroes
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Upon a hunch from Soosh Mieroc, a few Guildmembers search a mountain and cavern complex north of the city. Their suspicions paid off. They discovered Vanrak's secret portal.Image
Peter_Abelard
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Peter_Abelard »

Not so many days ago Cornelius, Soosh, Birdsong, Valyar, and Pawn Klaxxan ventured into the Plane of Shadow through the Void Door in the northwest section of the city.

The intent of the group was to examine how casting of spells both arcane and divine, as well as the use of herbs, would be affected by the Plane of Shadow, and what benefit the use of Crystal Mana would bestow.

The group had as secondary aims to mine deposits of Crystal Mana where they could be found, and to assess the dangers posed by the forces marshalled against us, and indeed posed by the very nature of the Plane of Shadow itself.

From our various attempts at casting it appears that divine spells and beneficial herbs are unaffected by the Shadow Weave, but as one might expect the manipulation of arcane energies is hampered. Where an arcane caster may be unable to cast the intended spell, the presence of Crystal Mana provides the necessary magical energies for the spell to succeed. In the process the Crystal Mana is consumed at a rate of one piece for every Circle of the cast spell.

The importance therefore of mining this Crystal Mana is clear: without ample supply of the substance, any arcane caster venturing into the Plane of Shadow will be quite limited in harnessing the Weave for their purposes.

- Valyar Floshin, of the Adventurer’s Guild

Amendment:

After consulting with Alain at the Hall of Heroes, I wish to correct what I wrote earlier about divine magic. Alain has reported that his divine spells as well have been rendered ineffective within the Plane of Shadow on occasion, and are also made successful by the use of Crystal Mana. All casters, whether divine or arcane in nature, are advised to carry Crystal Mana with them when venturing into the Plane of Shadow. And, it must be said, the need to mine Crystal Mana to support our casters is made all the greater with Alain's contribution. - Valyar
Character arcs are sharp, pointy little things. A little blood may spill!

Now Playing: Luva Si'nede, Olivus Angustian
Past Characters: Valyar Floshin, Sarenna Irithyl, Millicent Riverstone, Dev Revels, Catarina Helms, Fenris Estelmer, Arryn Temple, Penrose Hawke, Kara Ravensfell, Arana Belecthor
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Delivered to Vana Swift of the Adventurer's Guild by Pawn Xandos Klaxxan of the House of Heroes with the instructions that he is bringing the information Adventure Guild Member Valyan Floshin requested.*
wrote: Field Guide for Crystalized Mana Mining

Crystalized Mana can be found almost everywhere in Shadowdeep and can be used to feed the raw magical energy needed for the successful casting of Magical Spells both Arcane and Divine in the otherwise Weave starved environment of Shadowdeep. There are many similarities between successfully mining ore from caverns filled with hazards and hostile creatures as there is in successfully mining Crystalized Mana from Shadowdeep, it though can not be stressed enough that Shadowdeep is an extremely hostile enviroment to the living due to the negative energy properties of the plane of shadows slowly siphoning life from those who enter the plane, as well as Shadowdeep currently being occupied by a large and very capable army of undead known as the Legion which is lead by fanatical and deadly priestesses of the Nightsinger.

Mining Crystalized Mana
Mundane Mining is brutal and dangerous work, where as the mining of Crystalized Mana actually creates an eruption of violent and dangerous raw magical energy with each strike of the pick axe. The injuries suffered from striking Crystalized Mana can very quickly seriously injure a Miner, and coupled with the Negative Energy of Shadowdeep and hostile enemy forces leave said Miner vulnerable to a fatal attack.

Steps need to be taken to mitigate these risks
  • 1) Focus your Mining Efforts upon the high walls surrounding the City and the few places where legion Forces are rarely found or encountered. You will want to send in people capable of scaling walls and effectively escaping and avoiding Legion Forces.
  • 2) Work in highly mobile and capable pairs that share the responsibilities of mining, vigilance, and tending to each other's wounds with field surgical kits or using potions.
  • 3) Plan your entry and exit points in advance as well as your route between them with a focus upon avoiding contact with Legion Forces while minimalizing your time spent in Shadowdeep.
Mistakes to be avoided

1) Do not rely upon magical spells to tend your wounds or to provide you with the mobility you need to effectively avoid combating Legion Forces. It is very easy for those depending upon such spells to use more Crystalized Mana during the course of Mining Crystalized Mana then they manage to acquire.

2) Do not bring more people then are necessary. The larger the team, the more likely there will be complications. The work of avoiding Legion Patrols while Mining Crystalized Mana leaves very little room for error.

3) Do not get drawn into a fight that you can avoid. The goal of mining Crystalized Mana is to gather the resources needed to effectively use magic inside the plane of shadows, so you may fight more effectively another day with a larger team prepared to fight.

Marked upon the Map above are areas where I have managed to successfully mine Crystalized Mana in the past. This has always been accomplished by actively avoiding enemy engagements through superior mobility, small capable teams, and avoiding the use of Crystalized Mana. The largest and safest deposits I have found are outside the City Walls in the North Western Corner of the City as well as Outside the City Walls west of where the Shadowdeep analog for New Olmann stands.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Vana Swift has been asked if she would please share with the the rest of the Guild Members in their comings and goings some news from Aeldre Feyblade. Written neatly on a sheaf of paper is the following.....
There is a new substance called "Midnight's Kiss" that is rumored to be coming into the City of Splendors from Shadow Deep by way of the Dock Wards. I have heard customers are paying as much as three hundred gold coins a serving for this chalky black substance that dissolves upon the tongue.

WHAT I DO NOT KNOW
I do not know how Midnight's Kiss is made.
I do not know who is making it.
I do not know who is selling it.

I do not know how important or meaningful to the War effort it is, but if the Enemy is using it to fund the war, then that seems important.

WHAT I DO KNOW

It is best to enjoy Midnight's Kiss someplace comfortable, and make sure you have a few uninterrupted hours available.
Midnight's Kiss is a powerful hallucinogenic, which means it allows you to see and feel things you would not normally see, feel, or experience.

I personally went on a life altering mind expanding journey of spiritual awakenings through both time and space experiencing the unimaginable vast nothing of nonexistence, and woke up without any noticeable side effects beyond a greater understanding of all of existence.

WHAT I WILL DO

I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open for more of this stuff, and learn what I can about it, and if possible make some available to the rest of you, especially you Master Soosh.
Peter_Abelard
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Peter_Abelard »

Settled into his room at the Guild for the night, Valyar writes a list of his chief concerns for the next tenday:

Write to Lord Elorfindar of the situation in Waterdeep, to inform him of the city’s efforts against the Plane of Shadow, and of potential threats to the Ardeep Forest and Floshin Estates.

Continue to provide potions enchantments, and Crystal Mana for the use of the Adventurer’s Guild, to aid them in their efforts to locate and destroy the Collector’s Projection Device. Negative Protection enchantments, goblin ears, skeleton’s knuckles, trollskins, and lesser healing vials would all be most useful. Seek means to secure them.

Speak with Serpentil in his Folio Shoppe, of writings that might be illuminating with regards to Shadow Weave magic, the Collector and his Device, and Telamont and the Shade City of Thultanthar.

Seek out the brigand Ascoft again, to speak of our prior arrangement to have him continue surveillance of the Moonstar Estate for evidence of Alathene Moonstar’s presence within. Speak also with him of the gang he wishes dispatched, and if he suspects they may be involved in the trafficking of Midnight’s Kiss from the Plane of Shadow.

Continue scouting within Shadowdeep to make reports of enemy locations, numbers, and types, of paths to Crystal Mana deposits that may be travelled in relative safety, and of sections of the shadow city that are enshrouded in fog. Visit the Potion Shoppe in Shadowdeep’s market area, for potions that may serve the greater good, and their cost. Seek allies to accompany me, if possible.

Arrange for mining trips within Shadowdeep and the Hope Valley, to provide Mana and metals necessary for the cause.

Speak with Tsarra Chaadren about arranging a meeting with the Grey Hand Enforcers, to congratulate them on their fine work, and to offer them what assistance I can.

** If any of these scenes sound like something you’d like your character to be part of, please let me know and we’ll set up a good time for all involved. I’m eager to move on all of these points in the next week or two. Thanks for reading!**
Character arcs are sharp, pointy little things. A little blood may spill!

Now Playing: Luva Si'nede, Olivus Angustian
Past Characters: Valyar Floshin, Sarenna Irithyl, Millicent Riverstone, Dev Revels, Catarina Helms, Fenris Estelmer, Arryn Temple, Penrose Hawke, Kara Ravensfell, Arana Belecthor
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

The Demise of the Guild.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Written in flowing and bold script is the following document submitted to the Adventurer's Guild Records.*

On this day of Eleasis 29th in the Year of 1401 Dale Reckoning, the Adventurer's Guild of Waterdeep marched valiantly through the streets of Shadowdeep to assualt the dark crystal tower of the Collector.

The Guild Master Cornelius Tauber lead the formation with his Warhammer held at the ready and his full plated foot falls falling in the cadence of a man on the March.

The Dwarven Guild Master of Blacksmithing Kharak Aza-DeDuin acted as the Guild's defender with both his shield and axe every prepared to intercept any and all enemy attacks against his Adventurer's Guild Brothers and Sisters.

The Hin Druidess of the North Woods, Master of Nature Birdsong stepped bravely with the glorious stature and grandeur of an ancient old wood tree over watching all the saplings of the forest beneath her as she used her connection and understanding of the old ways to safe guard and watch over all of those who stood with her against the foul twisted evil Magics of the Collector.

The Elven Journeymen Sorcerer and Alchemist of the Adventurer's Guild Valyar Floshin worked tirelessly and with unprecedented glamorous style to see all as well equipped with the potent alchemical concoctions they needed to not only bring the fight to the enemy, but the curatives needed to survive such.

I the Adventurer's Guild Apprentice Aeldre Feyblade was fortunate enough to have witnessed the true heroism of Adventurer's Guild's senor members and live to record these historical events only because of the Martial Prowess of Guild Master Cornelius Tauber, Master Kharak Aza-DeDuin, the wondrous concoctions and arcana applications of Jourenyman Valyar Floshin, and last but not least the fierce heart of Master Birdsong who exposed herself to death and danger to lend aid to myself when I was weakest and most vulnerable.

United in purpose and following the very clear and precise plan laid out before us by Guild Master Cornelius Tauber, the Adventurer's Guild took the Tower of the Ancient Netherese Shade known as the Collector, slew him in his chamber of darkest power and shattered those devices that had once been used to prey upon the good people of Waterdeep.

No longer will this Collector prey upon the innocent, and no longer will the Legion of the Nightsinger fill its ranks with good and honest Waterhavians!