Tavern Tales and Rumors

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 11 DM

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Re: Tavern Tales and Rumors

Post by Galadorn »

Would this be a common rumor spreading about BG?
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

In the empty streets of a midnight Soubar, a pair of mercenaries stand in front of a downed villager, who begins coughing up blood. One of the mercenaries bends down to pick up the villager's frail body, and forcibly pushes him to a wall.

"A name! We know he comes here. Give us a name!" He snarls at the villager, his whimpers heavy with fear and confusion.

"I... I swear, I don't know who you're talking about!"

The mercenary punches the man's face, teeth clattering to the ground. "Last chance!"

"Please...Please... Okay! Fine! Wolf!"
"Wolf?"
"Yes! Wolf! That's his name!"

The mercenary smiles, then unsheathes his blade, thrusting it into the man's side. The man lets out a final yelp, and falls to the ground silently.

The mercenary chuckles, and nods to the other next to him.

"Tell your majesty that we found him.* He spits coldly at the man's dead body.
[22:46] <Ronan_> I once stabbed a man in Reno just to watch him bleed.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

In a darkened corner of a darkened "tavern" in a dark Soubar, a gur performs a song with a bitter look in his eye.

Hey noble, with your nose in the air
Can you even see us down here?
We’re the ax in your tax and the man in your manor
We’re the chaff and the dross that lives under your banner

Hey you, with your gods given divine right
Does that thing keep you up every night?
Well, were up every eve working long hours
That’s our blood and torn skin building your towers

Hey you, with your fancy bee hived hat
With your love for fashion and other such scat
My children are sick, we’ve not eaten for ages
But thanks for the serfdom on starvation wages

Hey you, with your kerchief covered nose
With your love for filigree and petal draped prose
I lost a son fighting for you in that siege
While you lead from afar, my smooth face liege

Hey, I don’t want to sound bitter, really it’s true
When the truth of the matter is I really like you
Aye, I mean who doesn’t like that sneer covered face
With kohled up eyes and that collar of lace

Hey, and your mother she loves you, let it be said
And there nothing wrong with still being breast fed
They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree
But to have your twig in her bush, how can that be?

Hey, I mean really what of your brothers shade?
Well, if he ever gets over that knife in the blades
It must have been awkward losing a lover
Especially since he was also your brother

I’m not really sure where I’m going with this song anymore
I got distracted by your mother, the cankerous whore
Aye, truth be told, the song is slowing...
Actually I really think it was time I was going!
12.August.2015: Never forget.
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

"...It must have been awkward losing a lover, especially since he was also your brother!"

The man and his companions, all situated around a round table, burst into laughter in a dreary inn at Soubar...

"Hehe... Where'd ya get that one?"
"From that dashing Gur from last night! The man's a legend!"
"Aye, aye! He really is!"

A stiff hand is placed on the shoulder of the man who recited the previous line. The man looks up to see whose hand is on his shoulder. It's an extravagantly dressed man, his brown hair slicked back, his skin pale, his blue eyes weary. He carries an irritated look on his face... Which quickly vanishes, and he masks a huge grin.

"Excuse me, lad? I've been hearing that song all day in my time here in Soubar! It's such a riveting and humorous tale, don't you think?" His grin widens. "...Who's the little birdy that made that tune?"

"You don' know?! Why, the legendary Wolf Vard, of course! Everybody knows who he is!"
The well dressed man grins even wider, his fingers placed on his chin... "...Wolf, you say? Hm, what an interesting name, don't you think?"

"Aye, aye! It's Gur, you see!"
"Gur? Interesting."

As soon as the noble dressed man finishes that sentence, he unsheathes a hidden dagger, and thrusts it into the man's throat. The man jumps in surprise, and begins gurgling blood, helplessly calling for help. His companions seated in the table with him spring up in surprise and confusion, and unsheathe their own swords, pointing it to the noble.

"Gods!"
"What in the hell?!"
"You'll pay for this, madman!"

The noble smirks, and snaps his fingers. The front door of the inn springs open, and in comes dozens of armored men, most likely mercenaries or guards to this noble. They pour in, and surround the ill equipped adventurers.

"NOW, LISTEN UP!" The noble barks, after repeatedly jabbing the line reciting man's throat, who at this point, is now deceased.

"IF I HEAR ANY ONE OF YOU, ANY OF YOU, SING THAT IDIOTIC MELODY..." He violently pulls his dagger out of the dead man's fleshy throat, pointing the tip of the dagger to each individual adventurer, snarling at their faces, "...THEN YOU'LL END UP A LOT LIKE YOUR FRIEND HERE. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!"
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

((^If this is too dark for the setting, just say so please, if no one is saying anything then I'm going to assume that it's completely fine for me to massacre an entire village.))
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

((You may want to check with your HDM before wiping out an entire village, i don't think anyone would object to the violence aspect - after all, adventurers often visit murder on un-suspecting humanoids and take their stuff))
12.August.2015: Never forget.
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

Right outside the stronghold of Dragonspear Castle, a noble speaks to a heavily armored man.

"You! You're my best horse rider, aren't you? Oh yes, I remember that face! You served with father, in the war! You ARE my best horse rider!"
"Thank you, your majesty... That means a lot, coming from you."

The noble clasps his hands, smiling.

"Say... How do you feel about a... Promotion?"
"A promotion? I... I'd be honored, my lord."
"Perfect!"

Suddenly, loud, booming stomps echo throughout the barren wasteland. The rest of the battalion of mercenaries and guards stop what they're doing, confusingly looking around for the source of the sound. Suddenly, a deafening shriek comes out of seemingly nowhere. The men, some covering their ears. The others retreat into the "safety" of Dragonspear Castle.

A gargantuan beast, standing almost 20 feet, stumbles forward, growling into the midnight sky. He's plated in black, almost elegant armor, and shows his discomfort of wearing it through it's shrieking cries for help, and his stumbling movement. The beast is led by four red - robed wizards on horseback. On his legs are sturdy rope, meticulously tied to the beast's legs, as the beast is forcefully led by these wizards.

The noble grins, and waves his hands up into the air.
"Isn't he handsome?! I found him when my scouts were scouting the wasteland! Do you like him? I was thinking of naming him Henry, after my uncle!"

The armored men drops his jaw, unable to find the right words to utter.

"...What... What in Gods' name is that?!"
"What do you think, laddy? It's your new horse!"
"With all due respect, sir..."
"Bah! Save me from your complaints! There's a first time for everything, is there not?"
"I... I suppose, yes."
"And besides, it can't be any harder than riding a horse, no?"
"I..."
"Well, it's settled! Congratulations, laddy! Now, give him a joy ride, he's been itching to loosen those giant legs of his! He seems awfully hungry, doesn't he? Well, there's a village somewhere nearby, I know there is...!"
"Your majesty, I..."
"Are you still here? Come on lad, step it up!"
"I don't know if I can..."
"For gods' sake lad, stop the pussy footin' and climb up your new horse!"

JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

Soubar is, for the lack of a better term, a mess.

The Winding Way's walls are splattered in blood. It's halls are filled with stiff, cold corpses of armored men. Tables and chairs are turned. Broken glass is on the floor. It's quiet, and save for the corpses of men, the halls are empty. There's no one inside.
The last thing anyone remembers seeing is a noble, with a blood stained tunic, darting out of the tavern, and also out of Soubar. He screams into the midnight sky, then leaves Soubar on horseback with two bodyguards.

"THIS ISN'T OVER, MISTER VARD! DO YOU THINK I'M DONE WITH YOU?! THINK AGAIN! I'LL HAVE MY FUN WITH YOU, I SWEAR IT!"
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

From Dragonspear Castle, pockets of smoke can be seen throughout the barren desert. Closer inspection reveals the burning of buildings, homes, trees, anything sustaining life. Among each burning village, a noble screams the following monologue... Then rides with his battalion, to a new village, another X on the map, to destroy and relieve of life.

"AN EYE FOR AN EYE, MISTER VARD! AN EYE FOR AN EYE! I KNOW YOU'RE HIDING IN ONE OF THESE SUBURBS, I KNOW YOU ARE! DO YOU THINK YOU CAN GET AWAY FROM ME?! LUCK DOESN'T LAST FOREVER, MISTER VARD! ESPECIALLY AGAINST ME! YOU'RE LETTING ALL THESE INNOCENTS DIE FOR YOUR OWN SECRECY?! YOUR SELFISHNESS SICKENS ME, MISTER VARD! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP, MISTER VARD! I'VE ALMOST HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR JOKES! IT'S TIME FOR MY OWN!"

JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

A nobleman, with his wrinkly tunic, his disheveled hair, his demented appearance, stands on top of a high hill looking over Soubar. He belts out, as loud as he can, loud enough for any local of the modest village to hear.

"Do you know the definition of insanity?! The definition of insanity, Mister Vard, is doing the same thing, the same exact thing, over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!... Expecting different results. These men and women, these SAVAGES, wake up every morning, thinking to themselves, '...This is the day! This is the day I'll get my life in order!' ...And then they go marching into that little tavern of their's, drinking and laughing and WASTING THEIR DISGUSTING LIVES AWAY!... And then they drift asleep. And then, AND THEN, MISTER VARD, and then, they wake up, the next day. 'No no no, THIS is the day! I know it is...!' ...And then the same thing happens! EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THEIR MISERABLE EXISTENCE, MISTER VARD! So... HOW DARE YOU?! HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING INSANE! LOOK AROUND YOU, MISTER VARD! JUST LOOK AROUND YOU! NOW TELL ME?! WHO'S THE INSANE ONE! HUH? WHO IS IT?!""
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

Dragonspear Castle is a massacre.

Adventurers, villagers, children, wizards, mercenaries, armored guards, dinosaurs, horses, dogs, all lie lifeless on the hills and valleys and plains leading up to the castle, their corpses cold. The stench is horrifying, blood trickles down the hills. Smoke is prevalent around the castle.

Among the bodies, a deranged noble, who's face is covered in blood, his tunic covered in blood, his hands, his dagger, his hair, all plastered with bright red blood, manically cackling in laughter, drags an injured man on the ground. The man growls, kicking and struggling to release his grip from the noble.

The noble, still in bursts of laughter, hauls the injured man into the dungeons of Dragonspear Castle.

"Tata for now, Mister Vard!" The noble slams the dungeon gates closed, and walks off, cackling like a Coyotte.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Heard in the bunk room of the Heroes Guild;
"Did you see those fancy merchants that were talking to old Barquentyne last night? Plenty of gold on those lads, maybe there's some work coming up."
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

The Winding Way tavern is a bit subdued this night. As many men as could be mustered out from their inebriation or whoring had staggerred hurriedly out toward the gates as Lord Aelrd's bell rang out in alert of impending goblinoid raid.

At least one caravan guard died by bugbear trying to make the final run into the town. A few bugbears were spotted near the walls but have not yet moved against the village. Their numbers are unknown and no volunteers have yet gone out to scout. The beasts seem not too interested in a full attack, but that does little to ease anxiety in the village.

Now the travellers, outlaws, and vagrants armor themselves with what they can find and keep their swords close by as they drink or take fitful sleep, awaiting potential attack.

"Maybe that guard they felled will be enough for them. THey'll cook his bones and head back of into the wilds without testing the town," a toothless older cobbler says.

"I hear there's gold being offerred to retrieve the cart they lost out there," offers another.

"Have to be crazy or despearate to go out trying into a tribe of bugbears ..... or the cart'd have to be loaded full of gold."
Last edited by dergon darkhelm on Thu May 16, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Rumors around Soubar say to talk to the guard calling himself Hanz for the reward in gold to help with retrieval, the apparent Captain of the caravan attacked. When asked for who's paying, the name "Jafe Croster" is given, a merchant out of Waterdeep.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Rumors of a small scale battle along the road to Boareskyr Bridge from Soubar are confirmed with merely a look at the ruins of a caravan on the road.

The ground is littered with dozens of bugbears and even some kobolds. Scorch marks are all over, and the bodies are burnt to a crisp. Scavengers are already picking the site apart.

The only sign left of the small tribe of Bugbears who raided the caravan are tracks found by local Rangers.

Rumor has it a group of Caravan Guards resting in Soubar, along with a group of human mercenaries, were among those in the fight.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies