Tavern Tales and Rumors

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 11 DM

rorax
Otyugh

Tavern Tales and Rumors

Post by rorax »

Drunks and scoundrels in the Winding Way shared a story about a pair of adventures who recently arrived from the Moonshae Islands…

It seems the pair descended to the undergrounds of the dwarven halls under Dragonspear castle. The pair disappeared for days and people assumed they met their doom, but eventually the adventurers came back to surface, paler from the lack of sun exposure but carrying heavy bags of goods on them.

The adventures told of a huge cave complex they did not fully explore and about an orcish clan that took resident there. They mentioned fighting waves over waves of the creatures as they moved deeper into the ground, until finally meeting with their king. The king was a huge orc, carrying oversized greataxe who raged inanely during the entire combat but eventually was slain like the rest of his clan mates.

Relaxing later in tavern, the stocky, black armored figure was expressing his satisfaction from the high amount of Zhents in the area and the fact he did not meet an elf for days!
rorax
Otyugh

Ancient relics discovered!

Post by rorax »

A brutish, black armored warrior was sharing a story in the Winding Way tavern...

"Aye....th' cursed place 'as right north o' th' road. First , 'as thinkin' it 'as ol' mine or sumthin' like tha' .....'en i foun' 'ay down".

The warrior looks around to see who is interested in his story(very few) before continuing...

"Th' place 'asn' big....but ghosts 'ere floatin' an' sum o' 'em 'ere talkin' odd an' scary thin' abou' Anaurian or sumthin' like tha' , 'as figgerin' i ain' goin' to stay an' talk wit' 'em so i moved on.....

Seem few o' 'em got angry or 'ere suppose to guard wha' i tried to take frem 'here....foun' myself fightin' 'uge masses o' movin' air , an' some corpses 'rapped wit' sumthin' tha' look like scrolls... ah , yes.....'here 'ere flyin' objects an' swords tha' 'ere tryin' to kill me too..."

The warrior stops for a moment as he sips from his tankard and then continues:

"Nasty damn place , an' bunch o' creatures tha' didn' 'ant me to take th' nice items tha' 'ere placed like sumone didn' 'ant anyone to fin' or take 'em...sadly fer tha' sumone i foun' 'em an' 'ow 'ey 'r mine"

The warrior rummages in his bag and places few items(ring, bow , shortsword and longsword) on the table, putting his hands around them as to protect them from theft...

"Aye....just need to 'ait fer master Arbiteroh to find ou' 'hat so damn special 'bout 'em..."
gribo
Gelatinous Cube

Re: Tavern Tales and Rumors

Post by gribo »

Two elves were seen at Serpent's cowl.
Nuclear winter is coming
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

A day after arriving in Boareskyr Bridge, a caravan of four wagons sets up a small pavillion, displaying wares from the Great City of Waterdeep. One of the wagon merchants was overheard speaking with a customer over a freshly drawn ale, and the rumors quickly spread...

"It was the damndest thing I have seen in a long while. We were traveling double file down the road, wagons side by side, with the guard encircling, when we heard the sounds of battle. Not long after, three orcs come tumbling out of the high grass, down the slope, and right onto the damn road like their asses were on fire. Right behind them came the biggest damned ogre I've ever seen! And I shit you not....the damn thing had a goblin RIDING ON EACH SHOULDER! The orcs were screaming bloody murder as they scrambled to get the hell out of the way of this lumbering mass, fast as they can try, mind you. And then out pops another damn goblin from the grasses, following behind the ogre, screaming something like NEEBLE, or some such. I swear, that ogre picked one of those orcs up, and chucked him clear across the road, bellowing the whole time, while the goblins on it's shoulders were trying to stone the poor bastards with slings!!! Needless to say, we all just stopped in our tracks, every one of us with our jaw hanging wide open. When the damn dust settled, the orc that got his ass used as a throwing dart had his head cracked open from the landing, and one of the other orcs got knocked out from one of the goblin stones. Didn't see what happened to the third orc, like as not got away...but the ogre strides right up to the one knocked out on the road...Goblins still on his shoulders, mind you, and stomps that orcs head in. Then...when that was done, all four of them, the ogre and the three goblins...all look up at us at the same time...and I swear to Tymora, they ALL GRINNED! Hells, that goblin that was walking screams out NEEBLE one more time, raises is sword triumphantly in the air...the ogre FUCKING LAUGHS....and all four of them dissappear into the grasses on the opposite side of the road. I swear, we all just stood or sat there, wondering if all of it really had just happened...would have scared me shitless if it weren't so funny to see....
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Reports flow in from those that travel the Moor to all the settlements in the area through the local woodsmen, herb collectors and trail finders that there has been a marked increase of orckish activity in the Moors. It is apparent the steady stream has not affected travel or trade upon the Tradeway, as of yet.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

A little halfling greets those gathered in the Winding way. She makes her way carefully from the debris and rubble of the ramshackle inn. She notes the distress in people's eyes, from the many attacks this simple town of Sourbar has suffered.

"Greetings to you all, my name is Erica Sparrows. I come from afar, and see your pain."

She pauses a moment gauging the reaction.

"No, do not paint me as a priestess to simply coat your mind with honeyed words. I am a bard! Yes... a bard that will lift your spirits to places you never knew existed."

She pauses again looking around trying to make eye contact. Her voice firm.

"You seek heroes and find none... some of you indeed, may even wish to -be- heroes but can not find the way... perhaps you think yourself a lost soul and abandoned by the gods.. I was as you once, but have seen aspects to the world that have lifted me... and now I will sing to you this song. For I believe Soubar can be blessed, but the future is only in your hands. The hands of its people."

Oh Blessed Wings in the sky
From Forests of green so high
Magic that you keep so far from reach
We beseech and pleed, but most of all respect

Oh Blessed people we wish to be
To rest with our families
Let the children be free
Upon houses made from trees

The damned and forgotten
You are remembered today
Your deeds will be granted fame
For longer then a godsname

The scared and the hungry
Do not give in nor hide away
You might be a brother or sister
But we wont know until its clearer

gentle people of Soubar
I have heard your cries
Your spirits may falter
But I have never known any stronger!
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

There is talk circulated among the tents at Boareskyr Bridge that a Red Mage of Thay arrived in camp. As everyone expected, she was arrogant and displayed little tolerance for others in camp. She made many demands, asked many questions, and her only meaningful acknowlegement of the locals was offering some gold to the guard sergeant. The sergeant reveals that the Mage, who did not give her name, and her bodyguard planned to head north looking for a particular set of ruins. The gold was to send word of their last location to the Thayan Enclave in Baldur's Gate should they not return within two days' time. The guard sergeant indicates the two did not return, but that it seemed like too much work to send word all the way to the Gate.

The sergeant instead stops any suitable-looking passers-by (i.e.-adventuring types) and informs them of the situation. He suspects the Mage was looking for the ruined temple a half-day's walk north of the bridge, but who really knows?

Encounter and loot set. Suitable for a handful of PCs levels 3-7 of varied skills. Someone shoot me a PM if you complete and have any questions.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

In light of the recent news of the growing orc threat in the heartlands, a nobleman with the last of his scouts are situated in the outskirts of Soubar, looking for an opportunity to escape to the nearby Baldur's Gate. They can be found idling by a crudely pitched tent. Day and night, their shouts, irritations, and arguments are prevalent to anyone who happens to walk by. Something about a missing map stolen by bandits hiding in Boareskr Bridge.

Nobles, while hotheaded, are rich and hold massive influence. Perhaps a good opportunity for a freelancer to make a name out in the harsh wasteland.

((My schedule is so fucked that it's not even funny. I'm also still learning the client. I guess we'll see where it goes from here.))
[22:46] <Ronan_> I once stabbed a man in Reno just to watch him bleed.
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

(cross post from ALFA Library.)

NO! THIS CANNOT BE! NO, NO, NO, NO!

My brother... My beloved sibling... Murdered, in cold blood! To share the graves with... With... those savages! Those uncivilized, useless savages! Those uncultured swines! Those... Those... Grah!

He knew of the Heartlands, he knew you couldn't just simply walk into that wasteland... Must he continue his dealings with those absent-minded brutes?! Has he put himself on their level?! Bah! I never knew of the coward! He were never my brother!

Despite my brother's foolish nature, no one deserves to die in the hands of those feral beings... The Gate would be more prosperous, safer, grander, if that region were to subside... But, how...? Brother took the rest of the royal guard, who, in light of his recent death, have probably fled and joined the savages. Fools! Father gave them food and lounge and status! They'll be hanged for their desertion! All of them! Hanged!

Ah, but I digress... The Heartlands... I must purify it, for the sake of poor mother. Oh, mother. Are you happy with the burden you left me? Do you enjoy brother's company, now that he's with you? Are you enjoying seeing me fall face first into the ground?! Are you laughing at father's misery?! Curse you! And curse you too, brother!

But... This burden... I am the last bastion of my family's status. Our name? It is a LAUGHING STOCK in all of the Gate. Are there peasants waiting outside our home for bread? Are there ceremonies, dinner parties, events in our name? Are we the first name in someone's mind at first mention of the Gate? No! No, no, no, no, NO! Our name is in stake! My name! Father's name! And father, oh father... Father, father, father... I do not even know how to deal with you. Quite frankly? You are just an obstacle for everlasting glory for our family! I cast you aside! Your servants are mine! Your guards are mine! Your possessions, brother's possessions, uncle's possessions, even MOTHER'S possessions, all mine! MINE! MINE! MINE! Oh my... My mistake. Lowly servant! Replace this table! (I'll need to make a note that only the strongest material of furniture is deserving of my possession.)

Now... Where was I... Oh yes! Protection of the family name! Yes, yes, yes! Hrm... Is Dragonspear Castle still unclaimed? Of course it is! What madman would want that piece of rubble? I will need to send Father's... Oh, my mistake... My scouts to investigate... Nonetheless, claimed or not, it is no matter! Because it's now mine! Brother, may the gods rest your soul... But your pathetic failures will pave the way for our family's... No... Not the family's... My success! Do not worry! Your humiliating death will not be in vain! The Lordington name will be known among the untamed Heartlands, among the primitive natives! They will kiss my feet! They will beg for salvation! Dragonspear Castle! Bah! Never heard of it! All I know of is the Lordington Estate!

Scouts! On me... How do you feel of a trip to the Heartlands, to Dragonspear Castle? You've heard of Dragonspear Castle, yes? Yes! Of course you have! Everyone has...! Now... Listen carefully... Are you listening? SCOUTS?! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?! LOOK ME IN THE EYE! ARE. YOU. LISTENING TO ME? DO YOU HEAR ME? Oh? You do! Wonderful! Now... Where was I... Oh yes! Heartlands, yes? You will... You're listening, right? Of course you are! You will... Venture to the region, you will capture any local you come across... Child, woman, men, anyone, you will put them to chains... What?! Did I say kill?! Did I?! LOOK AT ME. DID I SAY KILL?! NO? I DIDN'T? THEN WHY ARE YOU ASKING?!... Phew! I could use a drink right now... You, lovely! Get me an elegant glass of wine! What kind? Oh! Surprise me, love! Heh heh. Now... Back to you gentlemen... Hrm... Huh... Forgive me if you will, I seem to have lost my train of thought... Oh? What was it, you said, lad? Oh yes! The Heartlands!... You will begin your trek to Dragonspear in... A week? A week is reasonable, yes! Well there you have it! Ta ta, gentlemen! Rest well!

Oh, what a day... I suppose it is time to retire...

((TL;DR : Sh*tty and needless meta attempt to advertise a future event I want to DM on Western Heartlands.))
((Feedback please. I'm not used to this style of writing.))

((I hope this is a good enough of a hook so people can start thinking about playing on Western Heartlands.))
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

((^^To add on to that : Every Saturday night. Time? Whenever. Saturdays aren't exactly busy days for me.))
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

Tales of a magical performance are spread about the Bridge. One fellow sang and played a lute, while a hedge-wizard augmented his performance with colored lights and spontaneous flower growths.

The locals loved the show and perhaps more is to come.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
Fror Ironstar~ eaten by a Dire Boar at Friendly Arms Inn
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

((Cross post from ALFA Library))

Blech. 'Tis is a bit muggy here, isn't it...? You! Yes! You! Don't look at me like that! Come here, lad! You look like a smart one. You know much about the Heartlands...? Oh! You do, don't ya? Wonderful, wonderful! Well then, lad! What do you suppose that big pile of rubble is, right over there? No, no! Over THERE!... Hah! Very funny, lad! But now's not the time for jokes... Oh? Oh?! You cannot possibly be serious! Sigh... Men! Gather 'round here...! You, keep an eye on my horse.

Who here is familiar with the Heartlands? Huh? Come on, now! Don't be shy! Hrm... Alright, alright. So I trust you know what that pile of rubble is, over there...? What? What?! WHAT?!

GRAH! TO DRAGONSPEAR CASTLE, LADS!
JonnyJerny
Gelatinous Cube

Post by JonnyJerny »

Armored men scour in and out of Dragonspear castle, day and night. Some of them go out hunting, some of them venture into one of the villages, hauling back to Dragonspear castle with men, women, and children in chains. Any wanderer that happens to trek near the area notes the scent of blood and battle that lingers in the air. Surely, something suspicious is brewing out in that region, though it'd be a suicide mission to investigate.

The barren Heartlands is filled with these armored men, mounted onto horses, lugging with them giant weapons and gear, a crest plastered onto their armor. A crest of a jester... Is the jester crying, or laughing? Is he joyful, or tormented? The jester's face is bloodied, making it unclear as to exactly what expression is on it's face.

...What's going on in Dragonspear castle? Or rather, what's going on in the Heartlands is a bigger question?
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

The smoke fell off and away as the evening sun set. All afternoon the caravan stop of Boareskyr Bridge had been in frantic motion, digging trenchlines and filling barrels with water, in case the fire out on the moor spread too close. But now, as the smoke died out in the sky, the people relaxed, took the coin offered by the local guard, and went to clean up and perhaps buy a few ales.

Indeed, Boareskyr Bridge has been a frenzy of activity lately. New graves sit behind the Zhentarim camp, whilst new posters are plastered all over the encampment with the Zhent Sigil. The posters are bounties, for five gold an orc head. Indead someone has already been busy working on the bounties, as outside of the town a small forest of pikes have been erected, each one with the head of an orc atop...some in better condition than others.

Near a ride ago, forty to fifty men, and a few women, passed through the Bridge, and out to the Moor. The Zhent Banner was held high as the passed through, and it is commonly, though whispered, told that the host is from Darkhold. They began digging in an outpost some days prior.

And yet now the Zhent host is reported to have been slaughtered. The whole encampment a burned ruin, and none left alive. The bodies of human and orc were said to have been strewn about the place...and an even more ominous warning...Beware of Giants.

rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

danielmn wrote:
And yet now the Zhent host is reported to have been slaughtered. The whole encampment a burned ruin, and none left alive. The bodies of human and orc were said to have been strewn about the place...and an even more ominous warning...Beware of Giants.
Hey,

Any chance Cormac heard about this in BG?

Thanks