Adventure! Lyran's Hold

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 11 DM

Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Adventure! Lyran's Hold

Post by Teric neDhalir »

I'm trying to make some of the content that's been lying fallow on the server for years more accessible, here's something that's been there since the OAS retooled as a static...

Type: Party
Level: 1 - 2 only.
Quest-giver: Polli Falconer in Soubar.
Persistence: None. Dungeon resets on server restart. Those completing the quest cannot take it again.
Special Conditions: The quest must be taken by a Paladin or Good-aligned cleric who gets the access rights to the various stages. Party transitions should be enabled, so party up and let the priest/pally do the talking. Exiting any area is not restricted. Originally designed to be DM-monitored there's a lot of stuff going on that needs resetting between visits so if you get a message saying the quest has been completed already please wait for a server restart (which is at least daily at the moment). Hopefully between partying up, taking the hook and exploring the quest you should get an evening's entertainment out of it.
I apologise for the length of the novella you have to read before you can get going - the backstory got out of control.
Please report any bugs in this thread.
Teric
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Re: Adventure! Lyran's Hold

Post by HEEGZ »

Sounds great. Any way we could drop the level requirement? There is a small number of paladins/good clerics on the server. My PC should qualify but my level is higher than 2.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

HEEGZ wrote:Sounds great. Any way we could drop the level requirement? There is a small number of paladins/good clerics on the server. My PC should qualify but my level is higher than 2.
Hi HEEGZ, the short answer is, "no". I'm trying to make things that are more interesting than just "two spawns down a hole", but that means a lot of custom scripting for things like skill checks, traps, puzzles, etc. Which means everything's got a fixed DC or CR. Obviously you have to have a party level in mind when building it so the difficulty level is going to be too low for e.g a party of level 4s in a CR1 dungeon. I wish I knew how to magically scale everything to be an appropriate challenge for every party in every situation, but I don't. It would be nice if the standard encounter triggers that come with the toolset worked (e.g. there can be between 2 and 6 of monster X depending on the party level) but previous experiments suggest that it doesn't work in multiplayer.
I can assure you that this whole question of who gets to do what content is a torment and I'm trying to come up with a better solution. However, at the moment it's easiest to put a rigid cap on who's eligible and hope it's attractive to someone.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I believe that HEEGZ is suggesting that it would be better that people do it and it would be easy for them, than no one doing because we don't have people who can access it.

I tend to agree. Just a shame for it to go to waste. Even a cakewalk adventure is something to RP about.
I did the Ruqel statics (lv1-5 I think?) with my level 15... was still enjoyable.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Teric neDhalir wrote:
HEEGZ wrote:Sounds great. Any way we could drop the level requirement? There is a small number of paladins/good clerics on the server. My PC should qualify but my level is higher than 2.
Hi HEEGZ, the short answer is, "no". I'm trying to make things that are more interesting than just "two spawns down a hole", but that means a lot of custom scripting for things like skill checks, traps, puzzles, etc. Which means everything's got a fixed DC or CR. Obviously you have to have a party level in mind when building it so the difficulty level is going to be too low for e.g a party of level 4s in a CR1 dungeon. I wish I knew how to magically scale everything to be an appropriate challenge for every party in every situation, but I don't. It would be nice if the standard encounter triggers that come with the toolset worked (e.g. there can be between 2 and 6 of monster X depending on the party level) but previous experiments suggest that it doesn't work in multiplayer.
I can assure you that this whole question of who gets to do what content is a torment and I'm trying to come up with a better solution. However, at the moment it's easiest to put a rigid cap on who's eligible and hope it's attractive to someone.
Statics in ALFA tend to be more about RP opportunities these days, and very few people stay in the 1-2 range for long... so it makes no sense from a practical standpoint to impose a level cap at this time.

Should be player choice when they decide to do these things anyway. It'll be obviously easy for higher levels, and it's their choice to bore themselves in that case.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Pretty much what they said. I don't care about the XP. It would be nice to experience the content regardless of character level. The class restriction is already extremely limiting as it is. I guess my meaning was that I hate to see it go to waste, because it will be the rare person who makes a paladin or good cleric and then finds the NPC to unlock the quest, if you know what I mean.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Level cap removed. Hopefully not bollixed the necessary convos.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Wow. Thanks Teric. I've not done any of the static content on WHL before. I think I'll start with this one. 8)
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Fun little adventure. I was unable to complete one of the puzzles, it stumped me. I think perhaps an area where my PC did a verbal notification that she found something, and then I couldn't find anything to click on or loot, perhaps. Another weird thing, in Soubar, the AT to talk to the father indoors warped the entire party to the interior as a party AT. Probably should set that AT to individual PC only, as it warped all my party from across the map and they were all disoriented. Thanks again though.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

From the original description;
Party transitions should be enabled, so party up and let the priest/pally do the talking.
I know what you're saying about finding something - it does work but you may need the "z" key to highlight the admittedly very small object that you've found. Sorry that wasn't clear but glad you enjoyed the adventure.

Edit: Oh, PS, did you all get XP/gold?
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

gold/xp yes. also, i will try the highlight thing again. i did it for a couple minutes but saw nothing. i kept the two things i did find elsewhere, so assumed i missed the third thing.