A Stoney problem(formerlyThe Cursed)

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Arianna
Tech Admin

Re: The Cursed (formerly The Moonwell, the Maiden, and the Stone)

Post by Arianna »

The skys over kingsbay and surrounding areas have been sunny for the last few days and the fishermen have reported bringing in catches today.

The Ffolk are grumbling less and those that seemed to have been looking haggard the past week seem refreshed once again and no one has complained of bad dreams in days
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((Once again friday approaches... there seems to be a break in the action, though some loose ends might still linger. Let's get some planning/brainstorming ahead of time.

If no one else proposes anything you just might see a House Shaelara party (i.e. bar brawl) in some watering hole in Skaug... or maybe in the Salmon ... I think the latter would make Toby gnash teeth and weep, that should motivate his player :twisted:

fyi I might not be able to log in until late))
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

I am on call yet again this weekend. The usual rules apply. Might be there, might not.

Arizma seems very relieved that things have improved on Gwynneth. She will be looking for other opportunities to help those in need or help her friends.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

As the party travels between Kingsbay and Corwell then notice that the weather has greatly improved near Kingsbay, but becomes very wet and stormy, just before reaching Koart and all the way to Corwell. Those who travel to other areas will find the weather still nasty on the other major parts of the Isles as well.Tempers run short and food runs low in many places.

(( I will be working the weekend, but game will run as usual on Friday night, with possible short runs on Sat or Sun afternoon/night if there is interest ))

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

note: http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... &start=315

Aglaril might suggest other possible leads, though oocly it might be best to shelf them until another time.

I'm a little concerned that there's a fair amount of details that might not have been communicated to everyone involved at various stages; one example was a book that only 1 PC got to look at which contained a clue that turned out to be rather pivotal when finally seen by others - not sure at this point what the best way to handle this sort of thing might be especially as it's starting to become more ooc/possibly conflicting with alignment/factions to broadly post everything via forums. We may need to use pms as mundane or magical IC correspondence... it's always a little tricky balancing IC and ooc realities, schedules, absences, etc perfectly.

Thoughts?

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

A message is left with the barkeep of the Salmon in Kingsbay for 'the usual suspects'.

Toby, Lunette, and I are in Corwell presently, likely for a few days; the weather patterns and their perimeter of effect, among other reasons, would indicate this may a good place to convene for the time being. If nothing else, Kingsbay is clear for now, Corwell and surrounds are not; rumors hint of other troubles further south and west.

Aglaril

ps, we may have additional allies joining our efforts.

orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I'm always in favour of forum use.

You guys doing stuff early? I can hop on
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Aglaril slides the recently disturbed trapdoor's lid back over the opening and resumes his vigil. Relying on magical means to sustain him without food or drink, he remains within a mile from the location, with his familar sharing his vigil when the Elf requires his 4 hours of rest.

Even some distance from the site, he finds his reverie fitful, as he dreams of a large, dark canine shape stalking the area, great claws digging at the opening to the passages below...

((I really think we need to finish this segment (the object left unattended in the ruins) out, and soon. In case it's not clear, Arri's dming style is that things are very much NOT STATIC while players/PCs are idle/inactive. There are consequences to leaving loose ends unresolved...))

Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Ithildur wrote: ((In case it's not clear, Arri's dming style is that things are very much NOT STATIC while players/PCs are idle/inactive. There are consequences to leaving loose ends unresolved...))
You make that sound like its a bad thing . . . . 8) . .

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Arianna wrote:
Ithildur wrote: ((In case it's not clear, Arri's dming style is that things are very much NOT STATIC while players/PCs are idle/inactive. There are consequences to leaving loose ends unresolved...))
You make that sound like its a bad thing . . . . 8) . .
Ha! Not at all, it's frankly refreshing though apparently a bit of a readjustment for some of us after not seeing a lot of it for some time. :D

+1 to consequences of pc choices... good, bad, and ugly.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Just wanted to take a moment to say good job to everyone involved; we're making progress and have several key pieces to the overall picture/puzzle in place (both figuratively and literally). :)

A few things to note/summarize; should be pretty obvious to PC's that have been involved, but please exercise restraint if your PC is unlikely to have the below information at all:

2 out of 12 (?) dissonant stones secured inside quartz boxes. 1 box is with Arizma currently. 2 towns/regions have been 'liberated' from the destructive weather patterns - hooray! presumably there are 10 more locations, all expected to be near major centers of population and/or agriculture per the Head Druid of Corwell's grove. We should probably report events to the Head Druid (unless there's IC reasons not to do so).

High Home, the dwarven/gnomish settlement in north Gwynneth, is likely the best source of quartz in sufficient quantity to forge 10 more such boxes (no idea how much luck/effort is going into bu's attempts to obtain quartz or whether it's worth pursuing at all). High Home should probably be a destination soon, maybe as early as this friday

Another obvious destination to prioritize seems to be [redacted]; already discussed with DM and one other PC - ICly, Aglaril would already have gone there and taken care of this if DM/players were available, probably should knock this off the list asap.

The presence of shadow canines at the ruins may be a clue... the wolves are simply local wildlife stirred up by the stone's influence, but these things were something else entirely, acting with intelligence and purpose to guard the stones. Is it possible that...

Not directly related (that we know of) is the story of Finn and his mother's abduction by the raids last summer. Bu was given the purple fabric for scrying attempts (Aglaril and Toby should at some point have access to scry as well); until results of the scryings are in we probably don't have much of a lead on this plot thread, barring a trip to Alaron and extensive searching. In a perfect world Aglaril would recommend taking a couple of folks and going to Alaron to hunt down leads for this, but I don't know if this is practically feasible with only 1 DM currently active.

Lastly, some observations made after last Friday night's extended crawl and after discussions with DM:

I suspect we may lose quite a few PCs along the way if we don't change some habits that have gotten ingrained into people, including myself. While PC deaths is a risk that we all should be ready to deal with at any time, there's certain kinds of deaths that are just silly and very preventable with a bit of caution/common sense. I realize we were all in a rush towards the end (including myself) due to RL time constraints, but that's not going to be a valid excuse for mass tech rezzes.

I highly suggest people read arri's DM notes here: http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... 6&start=30.
I'm going to be a bit blunt; it's quite possible that Arri's DMing style is not a good fit for folks that mostly want to rush through dungeons, bash stuff, and speedroll skillchecks; in fact you may end up hurting the group as much as helping at times.

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

I think it got lost in the RP the other night, but a few of us ventured to High Home for that Quartz box. We have already requested as many as they can manufacture, but availability may be limited due to materials requirements and the skill required to make them. The cost has been set at 500gp per box.

Arizma has concerns about the way things are unfolding and some of the things that have been revealed. I should be around some this week for related RP.
Talk less. Listen more.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Yep, fom talking to Toby, Aglaril's/my impression was that quantity was potentially a problem, which is why I thought some of us might need to go up there to discuss obtaining sufficient quantities from somewhere (or bu, etc)

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Perhaps more could be manufactured with the aid of magic (on the down low, of course.) If the quartz could be obtained and we could find a copy of a Fabricate spell, then more boxes could be crafted at lower cost and more rapidly. I say this because that approach would not require single quartz crystals large enough to be carved into boxes.
Talk less. Listen more.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Clutching the box tightly to himself, Aglaril walked slowly towards the edge of the grove. Stumbling at times the Elf slowly began to tend to his serious burns, bruises, and a few cuts, muttering under his breath in Elven the entire time.

"Portal dead... two broken... two more ... one opened ... five... Portal dead... two broken... two more... one opened... five..."

The phrase is repeated over and over again, until finally he stopped, emerald eyes glinting under the moonlight.

"And one more ... to break open... when the time comes nigh."

He hoped to find some familiar faces soon.