A Mage's Lair

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

A Mage's Lair

Post by Ithildur »

((thought it might be helpful and fun to have a place to make IC posts for Xan's dungeon adventure with timezone challenges and such))

Aglaril looked about the laboratory as he exhaled deeply. In spite of himself, a slight shiver ran down his spine once more as he considered the now empty tubes he and the others had emerged from, naked and unarmed, confused and bewildered at the sight of the too familiar assailants... exact doubles of themselves, save that they were fully armed and armored, outfitted with their entire kit!

"Corellon watched over us during that battle, Daertho. I'm sure of it," asserted the Bladesinger. "How else can you explain it? All I remember is going through that portal, and then... emerging from the tube naked. I had no idea what was happening for the first seconds, and could only think to go on the defensive while trying to piece together what was taking place; the chaos and confusion! The armed version of myself that seemed to be interested in separating my head from my shoulders obviously was a foe, but when I saw Keren come after me, I thought for a split second that perhaps it was some grudge held from previous years finally coming to the surface."

Aglaril paused briefly to give a nod and slightly amused look to the lanky human before turning back to the Wood Elf.

"We have had some less than pleasant exchanges in the past, to the point it seemed a habit. But it was easy enough to deduce such was not the case when I saw another Keren, this one as naked as myself..."

Aglaril paused for some reason, pinching the bridge of his nose and seemingly trying to blink away the mental image, before continuing.

"When I realized the naked versions were being attacked by the armed versions, save the two Farduks, the conclusion seemed clear. That is until I saw what I thought was you, Daertho, fallen to the ground slain, and the version of you fully armed attacking my double; at that point I was completely at a loss. It wasn't until I realized why you'd dropped a longsword onto the floor, that I decided to risk trusting you, and let things play out."

"Corellon was watching over us; there's no other way we prevail against such odds, in such utter chaos and confusion."
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
kid
Dungeon Master

Re: A Mage's Lair

Post by kid »

Keren sat, leaning against the wall, arms resting over his knees. He did not seem bothered by his own nakedness for the time until a the heat of battle began fading, and the chill of the stone wall crept into his spine.

He shivered and pushed himself up, gashes and bruises still covered his torso, one mean cut that was barely healed on his femoral artery stood out, dark lines of red and black. It was a blow that nearly killed him, dealt by an elven blade that was made for other things, greater and better things.
He could have regarded that as an ill twist of fate, though it was Corellons blessing that brought him back from certain death. He smiled to himself slightly, thinking that must have been the elven god's way to insure that such a blade would not be used for evil.

That same blade found it's way into his own hands for a while, in the heat of battle, after that crazed version of Aglaril was brought low. He used that blade to battle his own doppelganger, that blade helping, albeit feebly, to cut his other self down.
No elven gods came forth this time to the rescue of that creature that was wearing his face, whoever or whatever it was.

He made his way to where that creature has fallen and crouched down. He began searching through his own possessions that the other was wearing. Finding some clothes, he covered himself up idly as he glanced to the side, listening to Aglaril speak, the proper Aglaril it seemed. He rubbed the back of his neck, smiling to himself before he mumbled just a faint response, still crouching and barely even glancing aside.

"Perhaps for an elf all of it still seems recent, for me..." His head shook just barely. "For me it seems like a life time ago, I'm hardly the same man. Though..."
He paused, glancing aside and measuring the elf with a cool look and a slight smile.
"You're not the same elf you were all those years ago either. I'd even say... you're better.
You should be careful, you're changing too rapidly, and one could claim it has something to do with all those humans and hin you keep surrounding yourself with."

He nearly grinned for a brief while and then looked back down going through his reclaimed equipment. Much of it smeared in that odd goo that seemed to be... everywhere. He flicked his wrist, tossing some of it off his hand and sighed, looking about in the dark room and his head shook again.
What in all the nine hells have they gotten themselves into?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
causk
Brown Bear

Post by causk »

The elven priest's face shimers ghostly in the twilight of the laboratory, his features even more solemn and grimmer than usual. "It was truely Corellon's grace that helped us through this. It certainly was not my good judgement. Twice now my ill-, or indecision have nearly ended us."

He sits down, metals clanking as he takes off his blood crusted gloves to fish a bottle from his backpack. "When i came to on the other side of that portal, i thought we were in nearly as much trouble as we had just escaped from. With nearly every bone bruised and all of corellons blessings expended i was still the one in best shape. There was no doubt in my mind that it was you who came through the portal with me, wasting away by an affliction that turned your tissue into an oozelike fluid. Keren's finger even fell off and while i was trying to find enough stillness for prayer. None of corellons blessings i called upon after a near restless reverie, could do anything to aid."

He uncorks the bottle taking a sip, eyes watering as he downs the drink. "Whatever spell or contraption that made those copies, mustve had access to your memories. Aglaril's double was genuninely distraught over the disappearance of his familiar. And none acted in a way that i found conflicting with what i expected. For hours i wandered these halls, which dont even seem to follow familiar conceptions of space, not a moment doubting that my companions were soon to expire from some curse or sickness i had never heard off. I thought we may have been stranded on a strange plane or forgotten part of the underdark. There were dhaerrow and bugbears here, afflicted with the condition aswell. That should probably been a sign to watch for, same as none of the copies being able to draw on the weave."

He takes another sip from the bottle and offers the liquor to the others. "Ive paid too little mind to studies of spellcraft and arcane lore, when we found this place and saw you in those tubes i still did not know who was real and not. Even after i called upon a true seeing spell, i was conflicted. What if there was a strange draining spell going on and the one covered in this ooze was afflicted the real one. I only knew when i slew the thing trying to impersonate me."

Daertho reaches for his sword and begins cleaning (his?) blood off it. He suddenly forms a sardonic grin. "Slay the self to overcome constraints of body, mind and perspective. Im not sure whatever wise man or teacher came up with that had this in mind. This was very close again, it neednt have been quite that razors edge from the abyss. With better instincts and insights, i couldve been certain earlier, taken action sooner. Cut one of them down before the fight started. Doubt they wouldve seen that coming. Not very heroic, but if we followed that sentimental instinct all the time, we would not have made it this far. I do not wish to appear overly indulgent in self flaggelation however. We are but mortals and for what we cannot overcome by our own qualities, we must pray for the gods benevolence. We have made it this far, but i think we should expect worse. I think it is safe to assume the enemy knows everything about us. All our moments of pride, victories and when we were at our best as well as everything we would never gladly admit to. Private despairs, moments of weakness, envy and whatever other tendrils of darkness that have ever wrapped themselves around our hearts but for a moment may be known and used against us."

Daertho reaches into his backpack to salvage a small piece of parchment and scribble something on it, making sure that what is written down is not visible to an outside observer. He folds the paper and offers it to Aglaril. " Whatever horrors lay ahead, we must at least know each other. A phrase to recognize the other."
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"There's no need to blame yourself Daertho; sooner or later one of us would have examined the warmace in one fashion or another," the Elf spoke slowly as if thinking. After some time he looked over to his companion with a slight smile, placing a hand on his shoulder reassuringly.

"It's quite possible that we'd have sprung the trap no matter what, though perhaps we could have been better prepared for it's results. For my part I regret the decision of urging us to escape through the portal, and all that it resulted in. Either way, I'm glad for your company here cousin; I do not think we would have prevailed without you being... well, yourself, just now."

Aglaril accepted the paper, unfolding and scanning it's content quickly. After some time the Bladesinger produced his own quill and ink, then tore the parch neatly in half.

"A good idea, though hopefully not something we'll have to use again in this place," said the Elf as he scribbled something on the half with Daertho's writing, and handed it back folded twice.

"These things... if they do have all of our memories as you describe, they would've known the secret phrases, or any other secrets we might've relied on to try and distinguish one another, at least up to the point of duplication, no? Still, I can see times when such a thing could be useful."

Aglaril divided the blank half into two, repeating the process and handing the folded bits of parchment to Keren and Farduk. As he reached towards Keren, a wince and gasp made it clear that the Elf was still in considerable pain.

"I'm quite sure I've a few broken ribs along with the various cuts I've sustained, and the two of you don't look much better off. We're in no shape to venture further I think, until we rest and recover... This lab might have to serve as a stopping point."

"We do have a double of Farduk out there somewhere still," Aglaril's gaze turned to the 'real' Farduk rather searchingly. "I have my theories on what he... it... might do, but perhaps you can offer best insight on what your double would do next."

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

Farduk seems to consider the question for the first time, thinking it over briefly before shrugging.

"If it was me then it would have fled to a safe distance and observed the goings on until it seemed clear that any violence had died down. Assuming the survivors seemed like reasonable people who wouldn't attack on sight, then it would attempt to negotiate. But clearly it has not done that, so I doubt it thinks like I do."
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"Strange... the clone's behavior during the battle seemed to parallel your own preferred choice of tactics?" Aglaril replied, considering. "Perhaps with the originals being set free and the tanks being damaged, over time whatever ties to your personality it may have had has been broken. I suppose too, that it simply might be making choices that are far different than expected for it's own reasons, though survival is an excellent motivator."

"Or perhaps it's something along the lines of an Owlbear," shrugged the Elf, without explanation.

Aglaril then turned his attention to the remains of the slain doubles.

"Keren, would you mind helping me examine these? Or rather, perhaps I can aid in your examination; likely this is something you're far more skilled than I with."

Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

On closer inspection, the three bodies seem to be in the process of breaking down and dissolving. They are all surrounded by a growing puddle of that clear oozelike substance, their forms becoming mushier and less distinct over time.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

"Mmm, yes, It might have been a few minutes ago..."
Keren muttered at Aglaril as he kneel'd down beside his own dissolving corpse touched a arm that liquefied before his very eyes, shifting away from the displeasing mess. He shook his head.
"But my feeble skill in medicine or anatomy won't help us here. This is clearly some sort of spell and likely arcane, not that I expect either of you to have much success in understanding it. As we've come to learn the magic in this place is like nothing either of us have ever seen."
He exhaled and looked to Farduk for a long moment, considering.
Finally he muttered:
"Perhaps because we interrupted before the process was completed, the other Farduk has melted away, or soon will.
If not however...
Just how obsessed are you with the Orb, Farduk?
I mean, you've worked to find it for most of your adult life, would you let something stop you now, when you're so close?
I would assume you'd either try to get it on your own, or more likely, given your highly developed survival instinct, I would guess you would try to follow us invisible perhaps?

Either way we should know what items or scrolls the other Farduk has, at least those that are most likely to endanger us."

Keren sighed and went on arranging his belongings, spreading his bedroll and reading himself for rest.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"Seeing what's happened to these... can we determine if anything similar will happen to the double of Farduk? Daertho, you're the only one of us to have observed the doubles up close over time with your own eyes, and you described them as appearing sick or cursed to the point of nearing death; what say you?"

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Some time later...

Aglaril was staring intently at the stone portal again; at least twice, his left eye twitched enough to be visible to the others.

"So, assuming we manage to get it to work, you both seem set on the notion that it's better to go through as a group." said the Elf after some time.

"I still think the better option may be to send one in ahead of the others, ideally unseen, and try to avoid battle if possible, if it does lead back to the room the warmace was found in. Regardless I'm not especially keen on letting a vote decide something like this among merely three of us. If you are both set on such a course, then so be it, we'll all go through together... if the portal even allows for such."

"I suppose the other decision then is whether we take time to prepare further here in this chamber? Though that seems like an easier choice to me; if we go in together and rely on the methods you two suggested we'll need to change our spell preparations and such."

Aglaril held up the blank parchment in his hand.

"It also means we might take time to scribe one, perhaps two scrolls," the Elf glanced towards Farduk, then eyed the other two as he reached for his flask, taking a long drink from it and then shrugging.

"We'd best make the choice of what to scribe count."

Spoiler:
Aglaril goes on to describe some spells he's planning on preparing for the day... Haste, an Enlarge Person (or two) for greater hitting power at the expense of a slight drop in accuracy (and nimbleness) versus constructs, an extra long preparation of seeing the invisible, a few lesser orb spells, one or two Grease, a globe of magical Darkness spell cast on a copper piece, 2 Greater Invisibility spells, and a few other spells for personal use only. He mentions he can likely prepare two or three spells open to choice of the others, up to the third circle. He also reminds them that he will have Stoneskin readied for them both in the form of scrolls, if the need to battle the pack of super golems seems unavoidable.

causk
Brown Bear

Post by causk »

"What choice of scrolls to scribe is easy. The most powerfull healing spell we can manage. As for our options with the portal, i feel like having invisibility active when we step through and each of us having a means to reapply the effect would be best. As keren has but one potion and i but one daily charge that would need assistance from you or farduk. If we have enough time to scribe a heal scroll maybe the other arcanist could scribe four invisibility ones we use just before portalling."
Spoiler:
Daerthos spell selection will include unless other suggestions are made: alot of wards of lower levels, two divine strengths one normal one extended one, two battletides, one magic weapon enchantment, one freedom of movement spell, two deathwards, one true seeing, one spellmantle, one stone body and two heals
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((for those who had to leave earlier, per DM's request))
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *glances to farduk* any opinion on what purpose this arrangement served or serves?
Farduk: [Talk] This is all beyond me.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] The dagger's going to take time to magically Identify. These lights ....
Farduk: [Talk] That large golem was interesting, though.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] seeing as it seemed somwhat intelligent?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Interesting in a manner other than it's fists nearly breaking my ribs I take it? The behavior you mean?
Farduk: [Talk] Yes, the bit before the fighting.
Farduk: [Talk] The mace seemed to interest it as well. Quite curious indeed.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] so what now? try the door or the cave? or whatever that is ?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] It recognized it the mace seemingly *nods* I'd imagine there might be other constructs that do so
Farduk: [Talk] The "cave" seems oddly out of place.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] We may as well move on... I can make nothing of this place, the various lights and colors
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] *to Farduk* An the rest o' this shite isn't?
Farduk: [Talk] The rest seems to have something of a consistent theme.
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] The whole thing been strangest thing I seen one after nuther
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] well its neough of a light and magic show for me not to know what to expect
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Though this circle... seems like...
Farduk: [Talk] But rough stone walls? That's new.
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] Maybe somethin' tunnelled up to the surface
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] ((does it look similar to the circles of teleportation in the earlier room?
[13:38] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] ((vaguely
Farduk: [Talk] I'm not eager to probe at portals without needing to. We have perfectly good doors to examine first.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] are there things that live in portals and their connections?
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] lets see to the door then
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] Gith
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Left to right, when in doubt *nods*
Farduk: [Talk] *he picks his way around the symbols*
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] THey live all over weird planes an' such
Farduk: [Talk] *prods at the ground with the staff, seeming to find an invisible bridge*
Farduk: [Talk] Hmh.
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] What now?
Farduk: [Talk] Just a way to walk out there. Check the door, hm?
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *tosses a small slignstone on the space between door and floor
[13:40] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] The stone bounces off something invisible in the space, skids across it, before finally dropping off the other side.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Hopefully nothing hostile nearby drawn to the noise of battle. *considers, then looks to Hully and waits*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *uses the animated rope to test and show the extend of whatever invisible bride there is
[13:41] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] There's a neat little bridge leading to the door.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] so.. being obvious and a door... maybe thats a trap?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *steps onto the invisible bridge*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *taps his boot against it, seems satisfied* It's solid enough I think.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *walks up to the door, studies it suspiciously, then presses his ear against it*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Nice and quiet *nods*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Well, you two seem distracted... shall I open it?
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] was hoping hulyl coudl take a look first
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] I can do it ... din't see nuthin' strange
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *nods and crosses back over to give him room*
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] *opens it*
[13:44] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] It opens, into a small chamber that seems to be filled with a golden light.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Seldarine...
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Talk] Well... more strangeness
[13:45] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] A skeleton lays proped up against the far wall, a staff in its hand that appears to be glowing as well.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] The color seems inviting enough. *faint smile* How can you go wrong with gold?
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Talk] ((enters))
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *blinks tries focus a little trying to see where the glow comes from
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *waits for a a few seconds, then follows after him inside*
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] Hmm .. what's this here
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *follows shortly after*
[13:47] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] Once inside, a grate set into the floor seems visible as well, leading down into darkness.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Another skeleton.
[13:47] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] The entire room is filled with golden light, the staff is glowing golden as well.
[13:47] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] And the skeleton seems to be clutching a small book in its other hand.
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] Fellas didn't get too far
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] Or .. not far enough *frowns*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Adventurers like us, I wonder? *examines the book carefully, though not opening it yet*
Farduk: [Talk] Perhaps we've found Rallathas?
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *looks a little closer trying to see if the book has a title on the binding
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] optimistic
[13:48] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] On closer inspection it looks more like a small log book, or journal. Leather bound.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Perhaps some answers will be found in here.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] any mechanisms ... spell triggers bound ot that?
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] Hmm ...
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] Careful now .. this be tight quarters fer lettin' some ward blast us
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Heh. I was thinking if it was a spellbook it might be trapped, but still, who knows.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] want me to use the rope to get the book and staff from otuside?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *examines the skeleton rather thoroughly*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] What killed him, I wonder...
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *tries to look closer upon the suggestio naswell
DM Xan: [Talk] Keren tells you that it looks like the skeleton of a human woman.
Hulurin Tosscobble: [Party] What kills anyone? .... Bad luck *shrugs*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *looks for any signs of bones being crushed*
DM Xan: [Talk] Body seems intact. If it died violently, it wasn't to being broken by brute force.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Or her, rather. Why in here? Not the golems certainly.... did she starve, trapped in here, or was it something else? Or... *eyes the staff*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] well maybe the trick with the oozes worked better with that group... if this wasnt any guests

((dergon had to depart at this point, but both Keren and Hully are considered as being present IC))

Daertho Elbrar: [Party] hm... think she was sitting when she died... look how the bones are arranged
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] let try grabbing the book with the rope from outside
[13:55] [causk43] Daertho Elbrar: [Party] (or is it shining too?
[13:55] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] ((not shining
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *faint smirk* I'm thinking you and Keren don't think I should pry this staff from her hand
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] im thinking unless you know where this glow effect comes from
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] it is a bit risky
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] From the staff, I'd imagine. *rubs chin, considers as he produces a small plain scroll tube*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] hence my rope idea
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] My last scroll of Detect Magic, though I've a scroll of a more powerful spell that I'm saving for dire need.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *scans the staff, the book, and the room in general*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] The book should be safe... the staff glows, but the room... hm.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *steps away from the trapdoor*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] and?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *frowns deeply* Interesting. The room itself ... it seems to be a strong aura of ... positive energy? But down through the trapdoor... negative energy...
Farduk: [Talk] I feel as if we're getting close to the heart of things.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] how so ?
Farduk: [Talk] Well, bodies here and there, for a start.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] More riddles, but more information coming to light as well... *eyes the skeleton*
Farduk: [Talk] But in general the tone past that door we destroyed has felt more, I don't know. A different feel to it than previously.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] private quarter more functional?
[14:01] Farduk: [Talk] Perhaps. I can't quite put my finger on it.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] well lets step outside use the rope to get the book, see if theres something usefull written
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] then try get the staff from a distance
[14:02] Farduk: [Talk] Very well. *he steps outside*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *smiles a touch* I don't think it'll be necessary, the book at any rate, but very well.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *does the same takes hold of the animated rope again
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *concnetrates on directing the rope to coil aorund the book and pulls it out of hte room
[14:03] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] The book is hauled back out.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *carefully opens it
[14:04] [Xanthea] DM Xan: [Talk] Nothing explodes. It seems to be written in a foreign language though.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] any ideas?
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] maybe netherese?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *rolls his shoulders a bit as he looks back to the room, then produces yet another plain looking scroll tube*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] oh.. that reminds me *retrieves scrolls too and offers them to aglaril
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *touches the book, attempting to decipher the language with Comprehend Languages*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] My thanks *nods*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Magia... lingua... comprehendun.... Hm.... let's see...
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] '... The War Journal of Alaethe Vakharia, High Priestess of the Keeper of the Eternal Sun....'
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] 'Elias was finally able to open the portal from the inside and allow the force entry. We have proceeded through the quarters here at all possible speed to allow Rallathas as little time to prepare as is feasible. I have no doubt that he is already aware of our entry. '
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] *eyes narrow a bit as he pauses, then continues*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] 'Elias has perished in a cunningly disguised pit of acid. He shall be restored when and if we have time for it. So far the defenses have been surprisingly lacking, though I have no doubt that Rallathas is mustering a response. '
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] hm interesting... Amaunator worshipper
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] 'We have just finished battling our way through what appears to be a laboratory. Casualties have mounted quickly. It has been necessary to sacrifice some of the footmen in order to expediently disarm some of the more lethal traps. Driven mad, blasted by elemental fire, or simply torn apart limb from limb by twisted magics. Thankfully the majority of the traps are single use and the sacrifice of the sixteen footmen thus far has not been in vain. The madman appears to be fond of the use of golems. Some of them are relatively powerful. So far we have destroyed eleven capable of some impressive feats of force magic.'
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] Sixteen men died... *pauses a moment, frowning, then continues*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] 'We have just finished an exchange with Rallathas himself. He had words with us from the end of a long trapped hallway, sufficiently warded to make a quick assault on his position infeasible. Saradia managed to steal a talisman from him while we were speaking, though she deemed an attack unwise while unsupported. Following the unproductive exchange, Rallathas retreated into his inner sanctum while assuring us that it was not breachable. The talisman Saradia took proved sufficient to put lie to that claim. '
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] *pauses again, eyes glimmer faintly, then continues*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] 'Rallathas is dead. After an exhausting battle, in which the largest golem we've seen here was no small nuisance, Saradia managed to plant that dagger she's so fond of in his back. We were forced to retreat into a smaller chamber to evade the golem as the battle was draining. The remaining footmen perished in the battle, praised be their service. We will proceed downwards after a short rest and destroy the orb as well, concluding our business here.'
Farduk: [Talk] Aha.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] *nods slightly as he looks towards the first skeleton they'd found* So it was... Rallathas.
Farduk: [Talk] Good riddance to him.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] or what they believed to be rallathas
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] Hm... downwards... destroy the orb. *pauses, then resumes reading*
Farduk: [Talk] *he glances back into the room*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] 'Disaster...'
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] 'Disaster. Meleghast was overeager, or perhaps we all were. Meleghast and Saradia were struck down by a creature in the caverns below and I was forced to flee. Already I can see the shadow of its foul energies seeping out of the trapdoor after me. I am wounded and unable to flee, and I cannot allow this to escape, in any case. There is power enough left in my staff to create a barrier which will keep the shadow at bay, though I will likely perish with the effort. '
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] 'All praise be to the Keeper of the Eternal Sun. May his glory, and the glory of Netheril, last forever....'
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] That is the end of the entry.
Farduk: [Talk] Ah... irony.
Farduk: [Talk] Well. That answers that question. My orb lies below.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] So, a contingent of attackers.... followers of Amaunator you say? *to Daertho*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] should check the cave first then
Aglaril Shaelara: [Talk] They came close to their goal, but this creature below apparently finished them off
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] Eternal Sun is one ofthe titles yes
Farduk: [Talk] Indeed. Perhaps make camp here first even. There's no need for us to be "overeager".
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] better not to disrupt the staff
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] We may need that staff....
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Perhaps we'll need it to battle the creature, if what I understand of this entry is correct
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] well not before we are ready to fight whatever is down there
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] A barrier *nods slightly*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *scratches his chin* maybe something like the creature that found us in the shadows of the underdark?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *a shadow passes over his face, nods slowly* Perhaps.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] or some undead....
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] I'm no expert on such things, though we learned the hard way some things about them, at least the one we fought. I wonder if it can shift it's form and substance.
Farduk: [Talk] What creature?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] It was a thing of shadow, but larger than a giant. *grim tone to his voice*
Farduk: [Talk] Unpleasant.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] couldnt be hurt by conventional means
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] We encountered it while passing through a place that seemed to be tied to the plane of shadows. It was nearly disastrous
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] channelling positive energy via a healign spell worked though
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] I've never felt such horror... *shudders a bit*
Farduk: [Talk] Hmh. Well, as I said, we can think it over before descending.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *nods once*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *nods, looks to the chamber again*
Farduk: [Talk] Nearly in hand now.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] should check the cave or whatever hat is first anyways
Farduk: [Talk] Ah, yes. Shall we?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] The cave ... very well.

Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *peers inside, then enters*
Farduk: [Talk] My my.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *looks about* summoning circle? *clearly not knowign wht he talks about*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *looks about warily, his mood more sober than earlier*
Farduk: [Talk] He certainly was fond of grandeur.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *careful to not step inside or touch any of the markings, Aglaril studies it for some time*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] so whats all this ?
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *looks about for any patterns he might recognize*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Some sort of... circle of warding I think... there seems to be a number of different effects woven into it as it were. Illusions... divination... transmutation... perhaps more. Some of the patterns mirror what is on the walls *looks to the markings on the walls*
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Perhaps this is where the creature was summoned.
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] worth an extended study with true seeing then maybe?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Perhaps it's tied to the trapped creatures of water and air. I wonder...
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] *glances to keren, the walking true seeing dispenser
Farduk: [Talk] We could make camp and give us both a chance to examine these more thoroughly.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *nods* This, along with the dagger, and perhaps staff, bear studying that will require time.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *pauses, eyes the markings once more*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] fine with me... might want to consider a trap for the mithril golem if it ventures this far
Farduk: [Talk] Ah yes, our loose end.
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] Odd... perhaps it's not a summoning circle after all. There doesn't seem to be any means to bind whatever is summoned...
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] maybe conjurations divinations and the all work only here?
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] I wonder if it's ... *trails off, taking a half step towards it, but stops*
Daertho Elbrar: [Party] well let wait for a true seeing
Aglaril Shaelara: [Party] *nods* Agreed... we should wait
Farduk: [Talk] Very well.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Spoiler:
"Piethoolliloppoemmie."

Aglaril's sounded out the strange, airy syllables quietly as his thoughts returned for a moment to the unexpected encounter with the ball of air. The conversation in Auran with the trapped creature was less informative than he'd hoped for, aside from learning it's name, the fact it had been summoned and trapped for an indeterminate amount of time, and the fact the creature had not seen its captor in... some indeterminate time. The chance meeting had caught him by surprise as much as the rest of the group certainly, but it was a moment of respite evoking a certain amount of delight that the Elf had always found, speaking with unfamiliar creatures in tongues that he rarely had opportunity use outside the Isle.

The conversation had quickly turned poignant as the situation became clearer. In spite of his knowledge that such things were not an uncommon practice among powerful spellcasters, everything inside of Aglaril instinctively yearned to set the bound creature free. How long it might have been trapped he did not know exactly... possibly centuries upon centuries if the builder of this place indeed hailed from the days of Netheril. It was far, far too long to imprison any summoned being that had committed no crime other than that of simply being an unfortunate random target. And although he had no way at the moment of the encounter to definitely determine whether the creature was being truthful or not, he found himself quickly being inclined to believe.

"I will return... and I will remember." the creature had given no other assurances than those simple words, but their weight had struck a profoundly deep chord in Aglaril for some strange reason. For the time being he told himself it was likely the fact that the creature's fate was a reminder of his reason for undertaking this dangerous venture in the first place. Regardless, in spite of the wary responses of Daertho and Keren, every fiber of being in Aglaril was determined to find a way to free the creature of Air.

But first, it was most likely necessary to deal with whatever foul thing awaited them in the depths below, and perhaps get to the end of all this...
"I suggest we take some time to check things thoroughly in all three areas: the large chamber (be careful of the circles and scribings!), the rune-filled cave chamber, and the small room with the trapdoor and the staff."

Aglaril looked up, his thoughts returning to his immediate surroundings.

"It seems there are no other obvious entrances or exits here other than the one we came in through, the door to the small room, and the cave entrance - at least that aren't magical or portals and such. Still, it wouldn't do harm to take time to search, especially if we're going to take an hour or so while we Identify the exact nature and powers of the staff, and perhaps the dagger as well."

"We do well I think to take note and warnings from this unfortunate journal, and not be 'overeager'; I suggest we take stock of our spells and other resources available, prepare for dealing with negative energy attacks, and keep an eye out for some sort of talisman that Saradia stole from Rallathas. If we can find it, such an item and the staff perhaps might be critical."

"I'm hoping we do not need to rest again... but..." Aglaril lowered his voice to a hushed whisper only audible to those nearby. "If we do, we need to deal with the twice cursed and thrice buggered mithral nuisance once and for all. I may have an idea or two, but I'm open to suggestions."

((hopefully this will expedite things before tomorrow's session; suggesting taking 20 etc. with searches in the room, cave, some other spots in the main chamber, other than standard search rolls for the large chamber; 3 or 4 people searching for an hour or two seems like we'd get fairly thorough results. also suggest casting Identify via scroll/items to examine staff and dagger.

If we rest, I suggest similar setup as last time/shifts, except Aglaril would like to set up camp somewhere we can set a trap for the golem; small room doesn't seem like a good idea, the cave might have to do depending on how large/small the entrance is and of course, if something nasty doesn't pop up from the rune covered area, etc))

"And lastly... a preparation I made some time ago when I was anticipating other perilous encounters... inside my satchel you'll find a letter I've written. If I should fall, I would ask that you first attempt to contact my spirit using the boons that Corellon... or Lurue grant... but should that not be an option, I would ask that you read the letter and proceed accordingly."

Aglaril paused a moment, then added quietly.

"There's another letter as well in there, obviously not written by my hand. It's the one that I found on poor Albane's crushed remains earlier, addressed to a Shirley, a maiden he was betrothed to. I was going to try and convey the ill news."

Spoiler:
as posted elsewhere:

Code: Select all

anticipating needing Death Wards (the creature we might face is described as a shadowy thing, one that's definitely sending out negative energy in some fashion), Spell Resistance might be nice. Shadowy/negative energ-y foe might mean vulnerability to positive energy, Seering Light etc; might be overkill, but shadowy thing wouldn't surprise me if it threw up some kind of darkness/concealment so I'll have a Blindsight scroll ready before someone tries to hit it with say, a Heal and whiffs the concealment roll. Also may be overkill, but whoever focuses on positive energy attacks - which clerics get a few options on - hitting target with Assay Resistance might not be a bad idea if it has SR.)

We may need to take the staff radiating positive energy (which seemed to be serving as a shield/foil to the negative energy, though unsure whether it still has enough power to continue to do so) with us; might want to spend an Identify to figure out exactly what it does/how it operates, etc.

The trapdoor in the floor of the small room seems to be the only way to 'proceed downwards' so far, though we probably should search the main chamber/small room/cave rather thoroughly for anything we might've missed.

Note that we do have a couple of ropes including a magical one but the descent's depth/details is unknown right now (might be able to join mundane rope and magical rope for extended length, I'm guessing magic rope can be commanded to 'tie/attach itself' to the regular rope?) We might have enough Spiderclimbs if we can rest, especially if Farduk helps out (we're near the end, he shouldn't need his usual complement of lvl 2 slots dedicated to Invisibility...). Aglaril or Farduk can prep a Featherfall as contingency/emergency.

Couple of alternate 'scout ahead down there' options if Hully's not around, but at this point I'm hoping Dergon can make it.

... might want to be prepared for possible dispels at some point... getting death ward dispelled could be very nasty unless the staff is sufficient.
[/size]

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

((Am too lazy and tired to write but Keren will suggest however, that the mace might be able to do something in regards to the caged creature. It did after all, say something about breaking any barrier. Even assuming that meant only barriers within these halls the cage might be one of those that the mace is designed to destroy.

Didn't read the rest other than the first spoiler, will check it out later.))
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

Sure we can say that you spend a few hours thoroughly investigating the three rooms now.

The big room is filled with all sorts of magical mysteries that aren't immediately comprehensible. Just the three visible exits with nothing further hidden. Although closer inspection reveals that there are still dozens, if not hundreds, of small inactive golems built into the walls and floor.

The cave like room appears to have been expanded at some point after it was originally dug. The walls lower down along the pit appear to be relatively more freshly dug, and also lack the arcane symbols on the rest of the chamber. Farduk spends some time studying the symbols and circle and announces that the circle is some form of controlling mechanism for the rest of the complex. Someone with the ability to access it would likely be able to do a great deal of things inside the complex itself, but it requires some sort of password or mechanism to be able to gain control of it.

The small room is exactly what it seemed like on first inspection. Glowing golden and infused with positive energy. One trapdoor leading down into a black pit filled with negative energy.