Veilan's LA Q&A

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Veilan
Lead Admin

Veilan's LA Q&A

Post by Veilan »

Well ain't I fancy, creating a Q&A thread and all.

Cheers and have fun grilling me! :twisted:
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Re: Veilan's LA Q&A

Post by paazin »

over the course of the years we've had lots of people who were nominally involved in alfa (and in its decision-making) but didn't end up having much interaction with what was actually going on within the servers: i.e., playing, dming, building.

do you have any thoughts about that -- is it something to be concerned about?
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Hey paazin,

thanks for the question. I cannot say that I generally am - can you be a bit more specific?

I mean, the "quake" is ancient history (it's pre annus horribilis 2020, anyway :evil:), and since then no real issue springs to my mind. If they were only "nominally" involved in decision-making, I guess that already sorts it out. Sometimes an "outside" perspective is a good thing, and I would not usually dismiss it out of hand just because somebody has not been around for a while, but in general I think it is fair to ask people to be involved and know what they are taking about before getting to make decisions that effect a majority of active members. This I believe is fairly assured through our democratic system, though I suppose it is technically possible for all votes that have been cast in elections to come from non-playing members (via illegal mail-in ballots :chin:) rather than the active players. If this is a genuine concern we could look at addressing it (voter registration or something), but so far my gut feeling is that only people that are actively involved in the project really care enough to shape its governance.

If the question points to the second part of your statement - that they did not end up having much interaction - then that is also a very tough question. We should naturally do what we can to get people that are interested in the community into the game, make acquaintances, get to know some playing buddies, find some DM window, and get hooked like the rest of us. However, this would fall under "retention", which is a PA issue, so my only thought here would be that we should strive to communicate in an accessible fashion, and make sure that we have central media where all information is available - if a functional group withdraws into a sub-channel somewhere, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed newcomers (or returners... people always come back here) may have some difficulty finding them, even if they were the perfect match in timezone and adventuring attitude. While I understand the human desire for "in-group" privacy and bonding, we should at least leave some breadcrumbs to their door - and ensure an effort to see all fellow ALFAns as our "in-group".

Maybe I missed the thrust of your question - please be sure to let me know if I did. TLDR version, I am not currently aware of any issue where people not involved with ALFA wield undue influence over its decisions.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

How do you plan to incorporate ME into you regime in such a manner that I can act as a puppet master compelling you to do my bidding?
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

You could volunteer for a staff position, then try a charm spell where the somatic component is rhythmically flexing your pecs. I cannot guarantee the outcome but I'd certainly want to see it...