Off-cycle LA election Dec 2020 - self-nominations

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Veilan
Lead Admin

Off-cycle LA election Dec 2020 - self-nominations

Post by Veilan »

O hi

Since the charter change, LA elections are scheduled to be run once a year only, in June. However, since the last election for LA stated it was held for a six month period, a very narrow point might be argued that the current LA's mandate only lasts for those six months.

Since the LA is the office where I believe perceptions matter most, I am going to preclude the possibility of anybody arguing such a point - by declaring my intent to step down, thus triggering new elections. In which I will run, giving everybody another referendum on the change seen in practice (apart from the public consultation and Admin/HDM votes that were held).

In the future, I intend to stick to the charter-defined election cycle, but I think doing the exercise to uphold the moral high ground is pretty much in line with what I envision LA's role to be.

So, this thread shall serve for self-nominations for the position of LA, until June 2021. LA does "Oversight of Administration, Veto & Referral Authority, Election Oversight, and Public Relations. Also responsible for resolving disputes over domain classification of any particular issue."

Any member in good standing is eligible to serve, and the voting constituency are all members.

Self-nominations shall last for seven days, after which voting will commence (for four days). Since I intend to declare, the oversight of this election will fall to the PA at the moment of my self-nomination (take that, Tamlin).

Thank you and a good election!
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Re: Off-cycle LA election Dec 2020 - self-nominations

Post by Veilan »

As stated above, I hereby volunteer to serve another term.

I am committed to an impartial, light-touch, check & balance LA position, as demonstrated in my navigation of the tricky issues that arose during the last terms. I believe I can do a good job separating the "LA hat" from the "player hat" and hope to have shown that I look at issues from multiple angles, and could be described as reasonable and open to constructive discussion. Most of the time. :lol:

I do not see the LA as a crusading "Führer", which should be no surprise by now, and think that in-game policy and systems should mostly be shaped by the "game" Admin - DMA, TA, PA (no significant order). I think the active role of the LA is a facilitator and "smoother", while making sure to remain unbiased and a stalwart guardian of the political principles on which this community was founded. Even if our in-game tastes and requirements may change and mature, just as we do as a community.

I am happy to stand aside for a qualified and motivated candidate, since my participation is hampered by my timezone, work and family life. I do feel like an active member of the community though, and try to keep on top of Discord (which is actually facilitated by home-office these days) as well as log into game when the opportunity presents, even if just to freak out Wynna with my encounter rolls.

So, thanks for your consideration, and feel free to hit me up with any questions in Discord or my Q&A here.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Tamlin
Shambling Zombie

Post by Tamlin »

The nomination period is now closed. Currently we just have Veilan nominated for the role of LA.

Head over to this link to vote!
https://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vi ... 68&t=53151
"My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea."
-Tommy Douglas, probably about gnomes
Tamlin
Shambling Zombie

Post by Tamlin »

Veilan has won, and will be our new LA! Congratulations.
"My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea."
-Tommy Douglas, probably about gnomes