THE Lists for the Masses-Hak Bug Fixes

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

shad0wfax
DM Admin

Re: THE Lists for the Masses

Post by shad0wfax »

Ithildur wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:52 am
I'd be in favor of making the DM involvement in crafting wonderous items/magic AA/etc streamlined and less painful.

1. if at all possible, fully automate the cost calculations during the 'project' stage so that DM doesn't have to worry about doing the math (though they can certainly choose to do so to double check if they wish). I'm not sure if this is already in place or not.

2. fully automate the project stage so DM involvement is completely optional

3. make DM involvement required only when the project stage is complete and the actual item is given to crafting PC
This is where DM/DM staff can do any last minute checkup if necessary/desired, and they can make note of what items are in circulation in live play, avoid surprises that might heavily impact gameplay ("Huh... didn't realize you guys had the coin to craft several Death Ward items and set of +4 stat items at lvl 7... we'll make note of this and may adjust encounters accordingly.")

4. Encourage crafting PC player to toolset the item itself (or use Saaz's item creation tool if it can be tweaked sufficiently to result in items that match alfa pricing).
I am aware that this is a very delayed reply, but I feel that a discussion is warranted for posterity. Mick was DMA when this was posted, but I was DMA when crafting projects were introduced.

We (Zelknolf primarily as TA, and I, in DMA capacity), introduced the crafting projects as a supplement to encourage DMs that were overly restrictive with item creation rules or apprehensive about crafting to have a "pre-approved" approach to streamline crafting. This allowed a HDM to set up a crafting project and direct DMs to validate the completion and award the item at the end, without any ability to dictate additional restrictions or feel like they were "out on a limb" for a "questionable" item.

The cost calculations cannot be fully automated due to the nature of special materials and the interpretive dance by the DM that is required for them (e.g. silver vs. alchemical silver can only be resolved manually) as they interface between NWN2's bonkers pricing and SRD 3.5 (ALFA) pricing.

Similarly, there are toolsetting requirements for crafting projects that need to be performed, or at least overseen, by HDMs to ensure that items are properly tagged and included in the module, rather than just imported. This is vital for items that may be later further enhanced, sold, traded, or inadvertently destroyed or lost. Without proper tags, we lose traceability on the items and configuration management of the items for validity.

Similarly, the discussion about pricing, XP cost, time, and any item model/description requests needs to happen between player and DM prior to the project being approved, so that the project has the correct duration.

Lastly, there are some specific items reporting requirements for HDMs to follow, based on certain thresholds, that cannot be automated.

All of the above process barriers are necessary to comply with Charter and Rules on moderated wealth, items, and advancement, as well as quality of life improvement for players and DMs alike.

I've had some players toolset their own items and send them to me for verification and addition to modules. I've also had some builders directly add items to modules for that purpose, after a conversation with the appropriate HDM. This is always an option.