shad0wfax DMA platform

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

jmecha
Illithid

Re: shad0wfax DMA platform

Post by jmecha »

Would you explain how and why it is you came to censure Mick?
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

jmecha wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:26 pm
Would you explain how and why it is you came to censure Mick?

I did not censure Mick.

shad0wfax wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:19 am
On 05/29/2015, your application to DM was approved, and you were added as a BG DM.
On 07/28/2015, you resigned as a BG DM and were formally censured by the previous DMA as follows:
Until further notice, Mick is not welcome as a dungeon master in good standing in ALFA. He has been found to use the SET XP function to grant 2000 experience to a player outside of normal DM rewards, and when asked for an explanation, chose to step down from DMing BG and refuse to comment to the DMA. Until such a time as an explanation is offered, he is not allowed to DM on any ALFA server.
The previous DMA censured Mick and the reason for that is apparent cheating; Mick logged in, gave someone 2,000 XP using the SET XP command, and logged out. This was not a DM session reward. Multiple DM sessions generate multiple XP rewards based on the automated XP reward system that is standardized across all servers, with a user interface for length of session, difficulty of session, and quality of RP in session.

This tool ensures that all DMs on all servers have the ability to adjust XP up or down based on RP and difficulty, and that the XP is moderated by the length of the session. This is logged as DM quest XP.

In addition to numerous DM quest XP rewards for the actual roleplay sessions where Mick DMd the player, Mick also used the administrative SET XP reward, which does not get logged as XP received by a player for quest, DM, or RP XP, but is rather an administrative function used only for things like rebuilds of a corrupted character file, etc.

The use of this function is restricted, and it's one of the things routinely investigated in the logs for all servers to prevent improper XP rewards.

When questioned about this, Mick resigned as a DM and refused to explain his actions.

Additionally, the previous DMA also stripped Mick of the ALFA Moderator role as a result of this. I don't know why that happened and it's not my place to speculate.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Should you lose the election for DMA, what plans or intentions do you have to be an active Player or DM within the community?
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

jmecha wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:42 pm
Should you lose the election for DMA, what plans or intentions do you have to be an active Player or DM within the community?
I look forward to Duck One's vision of ALFA where:

The new DMA holds mandatory weekly DM meetings.
The new DMA holds mandatory weekly Admin/Staff meetings.
The new DMA goes on a PR campaign to greatly increase the number of DMs.
The new DMA retains all DMs that currently active as well as all DMs who apply and are accepted.
The new DMA implements cross-server grand events for players.
The new DMA overhauls the oppressive and Byzantine rule system to make it more friendly for players.

Oh, and time travel and NWN 1 player characters being granted status and places in ALFA NWN2.

Those are the highlights.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

So you do intend to be an active player or DM?
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

shad0wfax wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:11 pm
jmecha wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:42 pm
I look forward to Duck One's vision of ALFA where:

The new DMA holds mandatory weekly DM meetings.
The new DMA holds mandatory weekly Admin/Staff meetings.
The new DMA goes on a PR campaign to greatly increase the number of DMs.
The new DMA retains all DMs that currently active as well as all DMs who apply and are accepted.
The new DMA implements cross-server grand events for players.
The new DMA overhauls the oppressive and Byzantine rule system to make it more friendly for players.

Oh, and time travel and NWN 1 player characters being granted status and places in ALFA NWN2.

Those are the highlights.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth while avoiding answering to the question, which is similar to a question I asked twice and you didn't answer: Do you care about ALFA enough to contribute when you don't get to be in charge, or is your interest solely about being in power?

I'm sorry if my holding a mirror to your record has offended you, but you had years to do something rather than sit around and wait for the phone to ring, and could point to nothing you initiated to help make things any better. Here's what the answer should look like in case you're wondering:

"I've had a good run as DM Admin, and appreciate that the people let me serve in that capacity all those years. Should the will of the people choose Mick, I will of course support that decision because I care about the DM's and want to respect their wishes. I will do everything in my power to support Mick while he's in the office if only for the benefit of the community, and continue my involvement with the project doing what I can."
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Duck One wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:13 pm
[I wrote this 5 years ago during a different ALFA election, and the responses in the thread are telling. I stepped down as the first ALFA DM Admin because having been a part of writing the charter and serving in the first admin, I had done my part and recognized that others needed a chance to contribute.
Well aren't you noble.