shad0wfax DMA platform

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

shad0wfax
DM Admin

shad0wfax DMA platform

Post by shad0wfax »

1) I will continue to support HDMs.
2) I will continue to support DMs.
3) I will continue to proactively resolve conflicts within the DMA domain.

My history on these matters speaks for itself and below are the actions that I have taken to support the above.

1) Support HDMS. Appoint HDMs who are active and desire to perform the role.

Actions taken to accomplish this:
a) When I no longer had the time to HDM BG, I appointed Ariana to do so, in addition to MS, and she has been active on both servers.
b) Appointed Wynna to HDM on TSM
c) Added the following DMs:

2) Support new DMs:
Actions taken to accomplish this:
2014-05-20 Kiyoti added as DM
2014-06-10 Ronan returns as DM/EADM
2014-07-09 Lokan added as BGDM: welcome aboard.
2014-12-09 HEEGZ resumes BGDM
2015-01-13 Rumple C joins BGDM
2015-05-29 Mick added as BGDM: welcome aboard.
2105-05-05 HEEGZ returns BGDM.
2015-05-28 kid returns BGDM.
2015-07-15 johnlewismcleod added as BG DM {global DM]
2015-07-28 Lokan listed as active.
2015-11-20 Lokan, kid, and johnlewismcleod listed as inactive.
2016-06-11 TwinAxes becomes BG DM.
2016-12-05 HEEGZ appointed HDM.
2017-06-30 Stormbringer added as DM.
2018-01-07 List pruned. Arianna added as HDM for a few months.
2018-02-05 orangetree DM
2019-10-01 paazin DM
2019-12-23 "A few months" became indefinitely for Ariana
202-04-10 Duck One DM

3) Resolve conflicts within the DMA domain.

Actions taken to support this:

a) A single conflict occurred between a player (who has since been made a DM) and a HDM. The conflict was due to the player and the HDM not communicating clearly. I mediated the conflict between the player (now DM) and the HDM. Both the player and the HDM were mutually satisfied with the outcome.

b) The opposing candidate requested that I "step down" from the role of DMA. I asked what the compelling need for me to vacate the office was. The response I received was,
A simple yes or no would do. Anything else will probably not lead to a productive discussion. [...] I don’t particularly want to inflame the situation and the reasons probably will.
As the role of DMA is "Oversight of DMs & Servers including Item Compliance, Global Plots & Quests, DM Approval & Discipline, among others" I proactively contacted the DM team staff to determine if there were any active problems requiring resolution which I was unaware of, as a player, not a DM, brought the above concern to me. A single DM had a problem with the way elections are being handled, which is LA domain, not DMA domain. With no problems or concerns (other than elections) voiced applicable to the DMA domain, there are no conflicts to resolve.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Re: shad0wfax DMA platform

Post by Arianna »

I will ask both those competing for the position the same questions . . . .

How fast do you feel a PC should rise from newborn PC to level 3? With both static content and at least one DM session a week available.
a week?
3 weeks?
6 weeks?
or longer ?
How fast to level 5?
================================================================
Do you feel that a DM should also be able to play a PC on the same server they DM on?
==================================================================
Do you feel that ALFA servers should stick as much as possible to cannon material for 3.5 content or go off towards more homebrew systems for crafting and companions as the WD NWN1 server has done?
=====================================================================
Do you feel PCs should be regulated to the wealth system as laid out for 3.5 in the SRD or allowed to have as much as they can accumulate at any level?
====================================================================
Would you change the Pillars of ALFA in any fashion? If so which ones and how?
http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Pillars
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

How fast do you feel a PC should rise from newborn PC to level 3? With both static content and at least one DM session a week available.
a week?
3 weeks?
6 weeks?
or longer ?
How fast to level 5?

As quickly as a week to level 3.
As quickly as ten days to level 5.

Both of these feats have been accomplished before with DM knowledge and without censure of the players in question.

Character level advancement shall be moderated by the DMs and by standards.
Individual DMs/HDMs may wish to slow things down for their server/DM sessions, which is also acceptable.

I believe that such conversations are best left between HDM and DM, unless there is a wild disparity between different HDMs/servers, in which case the DMA should assist with standardization.

http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Ruleb ... e_Offenses

Rules within the PA domain also correct egregious behavior, as a check/balance to the DM standardization of wealth/XP guidelines.
Powergaming
Powergaming is the pursuit of experience points (XP) or wealth (either in gold or in items) at the expense of roleplaying. Sometimes it is IC for your PC to choose the most gainful option available. Other times it is not; if you still choose the most gainful option in those cases, you are powergaming.

Examples: (1) A paladin who wears Zhent full plate solely for added AC; (2) A druid who hunts deer to gain XP and sell the furs. (Note: these examples are not all-inclusive. Even if your behaviour does not fall into one of these subcategories you could still be powergaming)

Powergaming Character Concepts
Creating a character that just happens to be extremely optimized to make XP or wealth does not excuse powergaming. You may be forced to retire your PC and create a new one if your character concept is too powergaming oriented.

Example: (1) Creating a "Min-maxed" character; that is a character with maxed combat abilities and minimized non-combat abilities, such taking two levels of Ranger to get dual wield or two levels of Paladin to get divine grace without any legitimate IC reason for the character to have levels of Ranger or Paladin.

Farming
Farming is repeatedly killing the same static spawns or going through the same static quests with no legitimate IC motivation. Note that a character that "hates orcs" does not have a legitimate excuse for farming orc spawn points.

Example: (1) A character who returns to the same spawn point every day to kill the mobs spawned there.

Do you feel that a DM should also be able to play a PC on the same server they DM on?
==================================================================

http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Ruleb ... A.29_Rules
A member who is a DM shall not play any Player Character (PC) on a server at which they are registered as a DM except under the following circumstances:
  • A DM must have HDM permission to play a PC on a server that they DM.
  • A HDM must have DMA permission to play a PC on a server that they are HDM of.
  • A DMA must have LA (and HDM, if applicable) permission to play a PC on a server that they DM.
I believe that in certain circumstances, with a chain of authority for checks and balances, it should be permitted, and so I wrote this rule to allow for it. This rule has never actually been used by any PC/DM to date, but it is technically permissible. This change is in accordance with http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Dunge ... inistrator as linked in http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Chart ... 28Admin.29

Would you change the Pillars of ALFA in any fashion? If so which ones and how?
Pillars
ALFA's rules are based on its Pillars, which act as a form of constitution.
After re-reading the pillars, no, they are clear and concise.

Do you feel that ALFA servers should stick as much as possible to cannon material for 3.5 content or go off towards more homebrew systems for crafting and companions as the WD NWN1 server has done?
D&D
ALFA uses Dungeons & Dragons ("D&D").
Forgotten Realms
ALFA is set in the Forgotten Realms.
http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Charter
ALFA's mission is to provide an immersive persistent world for the purpose of high-quality online role-play using the D&D™ game system within the Forgotten Realms™ setting.
ALFA servers should try to implement officially licensed WotC and Open Gaming License d20 SRD 3.5 content as possible because our Pillars state that we use the D&D™ game system, and this provides a set of clear, unambiguous, and universally acceptable rules at most home gaming sessions. While there is always "rule zero" or "my favorite unlicensed splatbook" or "elven faerie unicorn magic" at homebrew sessions, I believe that a great deal can be accomplished within official canon as a framework and official game system rules applied consistently across all servers.

The only homebrew are the unfortunate work-arounds required for things like "Grab" "Improved Grab" which we simulate as "Knockdown" and "Improved Knockdown" respectively do to engine limitations for grappling. That said, we do have Escape Artist and if a PC wishes to actually Grapple per paper and pencil rules in a session, and the DM/HDM wishes to permit it, I find that entirely acceptable; I have done this in the past as DM/HDM. For truly "homebrew" content, unless it is a wizard researching a unique RP spell (which we have supported, actually), it's best left for non-chartered servers (such as nwn1 Waterdeep).

Do you feel PCs should be regulated to the wealth system as laid out for 3.5 in the SRD or allowed to have as much as they can accumulate at any level?
http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Wealth_Guidelines
PC wealth is regulated on ALFA with a tailored approach that deviates from 3.5 licensed wealth guidelines, due to the nature of the game system. These guidelines set DM allowable limits globally and also ensure that players get a fair rewards system across servers. Changes to PC wealth gains can be made at this location, though I have not had any DMs request such changes and see no reason to arbitrarily make any changes. Within these guidelines, I have awarded significant wealth where there was significant risk taken. I find that most ALFA players are poor. Although some are recently getting +2 weapons rather early on, they are, overall, still within wealth guidelines, and I must assume that these items were either purchased or DM rewards for exceptional risk.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Why do you want to be DMA? Do you love the job, or simply hate the idea of anyone else doing it?

Don't you think it is important that leadership in a community like this is a shared responsibility?

Having held the role so long, don’t you think the community could benefit from a fresh perspective?

What is the reason that so few DM's have stayed during your tenure? What have you done to change that trend?

If ultimately the community supports a different candidate, would you do your best to effectively transition the role and support the new admin?
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Duck One wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:58 pm
Why do you want to be DMA? Do you love the job, or simply hate the idea of anyone else doing it?
I enjoy helping players resolve conflicts with DMs, like I did with you as a player, to the mutual satisfaction of both parties, and without drama.

I like seeing new people join the DM Team, as I did with you and Mick, among dozens of others as well.
Duck One wrote:
Don't you think it is important that leadership in a community like this is a shared responsibility?
Yes, that is why we have five admins and not one.
Duck One wrote:
Having held the role so long, don’t you think the community could benefit from a fresh perspective?
No. As shown by my objectively listed accomplishments above, I have a wealth of experience and I follow the Pillars, Charter, and ALFA rulebook unilaterally fairly.

I have never had to discipline a DM as DMA. I consider that to be an accomplishment in and of itself.

The current candidate is banned from DMing by another DMA for misconduct and started drama by making recent accusations of conflict without providing any evidence of conflict. To date, no one has come to me with a problem that is within the DMA domain, only the LA domain.
Duck One wrote:
What is the reason that so few DM's have stayed during your tenure? What have you done to change that trend?
It's easy to blame the DMA.

The reality is that we are an aging server in an aging game and we have 1/10th of the players that we had ten years ago, while we still have some very active DMs.

I also recently appointed Wynna as HDM so that Ariana wasn't doing the job alone and she accepted the appointment.

The actual context is that I'm improving the DM Team by bringing in folks like you and Wynna.

How often are you DMing? Are you planning on staying?
Duck One wrote:
If ultimately the community supports a different candidate, would you do your best to effectively transition the role and support the new admin?
Any eligible candidate who wishes to perform the role has all of the tools necessary to perform the role on the ALFA wiki.

Are you concerned that Mick needs help beyond the wiki to be qualified for the position?
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

shad0wfax wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:24 am
Me joining (and leaving) as a DM had nothing to do with you as a hdm, dm, or dma. We aren't points to be scored.

What do you think the current DMs think of your leadership as DMA?
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

So ... I am going to try and put forth a couple of things that hopefully are less confrontational, just to change things up... I also think anyone holding admin positions is putting in a certain amount of work and resources on a voluntary basis, and there's a baseline level of appreciation and thanks that is due. They're also more or less similar lines of questions I asked Mick, because I'm really curious as to how both of you guys will respond. I have DMed in ALFA in the past and have recently discussed with an HDM the possibly of DMing again at some down the road, so this is definitely pertinent for me.

1. What kind of stories do you think are best emphasized, featured in ALFA? i.e. there are other RP oriented servers in both nwn1 and 2, and they have stories too - possibly different kind of stories but stories nonetheless (even a heavily action oriented PW or character tells stories - mostly about beating things up but still stories). I hear there's even *gasp* very excellent RPers and storytellers on 'those other servers'.

So what do you think sets ALFA's storytelling (or storytelling potential) apart and makes us go 'Those are the kinds of stories I'd like to be a part of, and can't find elsewhere'?

2. assuming we have some clarity about the kinds of stories ALFA is best set up to tell, how do you feel DMs can be encouraged/empowered to foster those types of stories? Can you present some specific ideas or resources that may not be in place currently that would facilitate, encourage and empower DMs to best do this? In your view, are there questionable or even outright needless restrictions in place currently for DMs that do not serve these interests well, or at all?

3. we're in the midst of a rather unique set of circumstances worldwide (the pandemic/shut in), which I wouldn't be surprised might coincide with at least some resurgence of interest in NWN online play. Is there anything unique that you're thinking of to try to capitalize on this from a DMA perspective?

4. How do you feel about the notion that it may be a good idea for admin's (or elected leaders in general in any community) to take a break and step back/down after a series of terms, and give fresh people (if they exist, are qualified, and are willing) a chance to run with the baton for a while? Possibly even actively recruit/look for replacements after x terms as part of job expectations?

Not that it's impossible for there to be individuals who just somehow manage to continue to brim with renewed motivation, energy, and fresh creativity year after year, but imho frequently it's in the best interests of everyone involved to bring in fresh faces - this is something healthy organizations/communities continuously work at (while also maintaining stability/competence - not always easy to pull off).

Putting aside your ... stated concerns about other candidate's eligibility, etc., let's say for the sake or argument someone else stepped up to run with some new ideas, new energy, etc.; would you consider stepping down/taking a break in the interest of such a dynamic?

If the answer is no, I would love to hear what it is that would drive you, motivate you to keep going.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Following Arris lead, same questions as for mick (mostly):

What do you think are mick's best qualities that you might, if pressed, would have to find admirable?

Have you any ideas for staff roles, and possible candidates?

What is your relationship with the current HDMs and Admin?

What rule or thing, if any, do you see as the major obstacle to DMing?

Thank you for volunteering.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

I enjoy helping players resolve conflicts with DMs, like I did with you as a player, to the mutual satisfaction of both parties, and without drama.

I like seeing new people join the DM Team, as I did with you and Mick, among dozens of others as well.
What have you done to reach out? How do you proactively support the DM's? What do you do to inspire them? Ever held a meeting to discuss topics? Ever solicit ideas? Ever delegate to someone else and empower them? Simply sitting and waiting for people coming to you then issuing a decree from on high is not genuine leadership. Far better than putting out fires is anticipating them and preventing them before they arise.
Yes, that is why we have five admins and not one.
That is separation of powers, not sharing of leadership. Sharing is taking turns, delegation, trusting that everyone on the team has something to contribute. I wrote this 5 years ago during a different ALFA election, and the responses in the thread are telling. I stepped down as the first ALFA DM Admin because having been a part of writing the charter and serving in the first admin, I had done my part and recognized that others needed a chance to contribute. Being part of a team means trusting that others on the team can also be effective. To be a good leader you also need to be able to be a good follower. You have had this role for an extremely long time, don't you think it is time to see what someone else could bring?
No. As shown by my objectively listed accomplishments above, I have a wealth of experience and I follow the Pillars, Charter, and ALFA rulebook unilaterally fairly.

I have never had to discipline a DM as DMA. I consider that to be an accomplishment in and of itself.

The current candidate is banned from DMing by another DMA for misconduct and started drama by making recent accusations of conflict without providing any evidence of conflict. To date, no one has come to me with a problem that is within the DMA domain, only the LA domain.
Your "accomplishments" you cite are things that happened while you were sitting in the seat. You managed to be present when events occurred. You didn't list any initiatives you launched or things you have done to improve. Could it be that you never had to discipline a DM because so little DMing was going on? Is that really something to trumpet?
It's easy to blame the DMA.

The reality is that we are an aging server in an aging game and we have 1/10th of the players that we had ten years ago, while we still have some very active DMs.

I also recently appointed Wynna as HDM so that Ariana wasn't doing the job alone and she accepted the appointment.

The actual context is that I'm improving the DM Team by bringing in folks like you and Wynna.

You may not want the "blame", but the responsibility was yours to manage. I don't see any cross-server campaigns you orchestrated. I don't see any marketing materials. I don't see any outreach to DM's to see what they need. You didn't bring me in, nor I doubt Wynna. I showed up and you said "okay", but it was not in response to anything you've done. I'm here in spite of you, not because of you. You had years to do something.
Any eligible candidate who wishes to perform the role has all of the tools necessary to perform the role on the ALFA wiki.

Are you concerned that Mick needs help beyond the wiki to be qualified for the position?
Even if it is a lifetime appointment, at some point that person will die, and the responsibility will transition to someone else. The very first thing any good leader who cares about the responsibility they assume is make a plan on how they will hand off that responsibility to the next person. I take it by your response that you have nothing to transition. You have no ongoing plots to manage, no dialogues with DM's to sustain, no open issues to transition, no ongoing initiatives which will need follow-through. You are saying that you are such a passive admin that all you do is wait for the phone to ring, answer it curtly, and are done, and nothing about your administration should be pending what-so-ever when you leave office. It doesn't sound like it's that complicated for anyone to manage, so are you really adding that much value?

You failed to answer the question, by the way. If the people speak, and their voice is to go with someone else, will you support the will of the people? Will you do your best to help the incoming admin be ready to assume the responsibility? In other words, do you care about the project enough to help it even when you're not in charge?
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

A few very practical questions:
  • What do you think of making toughness not restricted to level 1-only?
  • What do you think of lowering the base weight of hats (and thus also helmets) from 2 lbs to 1 lb?
  • What are your thoughts about the -6 damage limiter in general, and then its application to save vs death stuff?
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Rumple C wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:12 am
shad0wfax wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:24 am
Me joining (and leaving) as a DM had nothing to do with you as a hdm, dm, or dma. We aren't points to be scored.

What do you think the current DMs think of your leadership as DMA?
We'll know when they vote.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Ithildur wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:54 pm
So ... I am going to try and put forth a couple of things that hopefully are less confrontational, just to change things up... I also think anyone holding admin positions is putting in a certain amount of work and resources on a voluntary basis, and there's a baseline level of appreciation and thanks that is due. They're also more or less similar lines of questions I asked Mick, because I'm really curious as to how both of you guys will respond. I have DMed in ALFA in the past and have recently discussed with an HDM the possibly of DMing again at some down the road, so this is definitely pertinent for me.
Thank you. I appreciate the recognition. If you decide to DM, all it requires is the HDM approval, as you have been a past DM, and will be granted DM rights upon HDM approval. (I handle all past DMs in this manner.)
Ithildur wrote:
1. What kind of stories do you think are best emphasized, featured in ALFA? i.e. there are other RP oriented servers in both nwn1 and 2, and they have stories too - possibly different kind of stories but stories nonetheless (even a heavily action oriented PW or character tells stories - mostly about beating things up but still stories). I hear there's even *gasp* very excellent RPers and storytellers on 'those other servers'.

So what do you think sets ALFA's storytelling (or storytelling potential) apart and makes us go 'Those are the kinds of stories I'd like to be a part of, and can't find elsewhere'?

The stories that keep players interested and help players feel that the world around them is truly a world come alive, with persistence, and evidence of player agency. When a player burns a cabin in the woods down, and the DM team puts in smoke and fire, and later updates the module to have the cabin burned rubble, that is a prime example of player agency and persistent world.

I believe that is what sets ALFA apart from other RP oriented servers. As for the story-telling, that's more player-driven than DM driven in many cases.
Ithildur wrote:

2. assuming we have some clarity about the kinds of stories ALFA is best set up to tell, how do you feel DMs can be encouraged/empowered to foster those types of stories? Can you present some specific ideas or resources that may not be in place currently that would facilitate, encourage and empower DMs to best do this? In your view, are there questionable or even outright needless restrictions in place currently for DMs that do not serve these interests well, or at all?

See above for an anecdote of precisely the type of empowerment that we have for DMs. We have active HDMs who are actively working on the servers, with player collaboration.

I do not feel that we have any questionable or needless restrictions in place. Ten years ago, the policies were more strict and I disagreed with many of them. The policies have been relaxed now and I am pleased with the outcome.

I already changed the DMA policies to consolidate all of the various "server house rules" by eliminating them from the servers, proceduralizing the rules that had merit as global rules, and eliminating the rules that had no merit.

An example of the "good" ones are "background XP" for biographies.
Ithildur wrote:

3. we're in the midst of a rather unique set of circumstances worldwide (the pandemic/shut in), which I wouldn't be surprised might coincide with at least some resurgence of interest in NWN online play. Is there anything unique that you're thinking of to try to capitalize on this from a DMA perspective?

I am a relatively hands-off DMA. I leave it to the HDMs whom I empower to drive their server's plots. I do not have any grand ideas to revolutionize the role; it's an oversight role, rather than a motivational role.
Ithildur wrote:

4. How do you feel about the notion that it may be a good idea for admin's (or elected leaders in general in any community) to take a break and step back/down after a series of terms, and give fresh people (if they exist, are qualified, and are willing) a chance to run with the baton for a while? Possibly even actively recruit/look for replacements after x terms as part of job expectations?

Not that it's impossible for there to be individuals who just somehow manage to continue to brim with renewed motivation, energy, and fresh creativity year after year, but imho frequently it's in the best interests of everyone involved to bring in fresh faces - this is something healthy organizations/communities continuously work at (while also maintaining stability/competence - not always easy to pull off).

Putting aside your ... stated concerns about other candidate's eligibility, etc., let's say for the sake or argument someone else stepped up to run with some new ideas, new energy, etc.; would you consider stepping down/taking a break in the interest of such a dynamic?

If the answer is no, I would love to hear what it is that would drive you, motivate you to keep going.
That's up to the voting constituency to determine. There's nothing wrong with an experienced person familiar with the rules, charter, and pillars filling the role.

As for new ideas and energy, DMs bring them to their HDMs often, and the HDMs have brought them to me at times. Sometimes they have merit and are implemented and sometimes they have flaws that bear discussion. However, so far all of the ideas brought to me have been ideas that were best answered by HDMs and were not strictly within the role of DMA to implement globally.

There are staff positions. If we have a passionate and charismatic person who is self-motivated with great ideas, I'd be very willing to entertain creating a staff position on the DMA team to empower them to do their work. I have no staff right now, because no one has volunteered nor asked and no one has suggested any new ideas to me.

I have no intention to step down at this time, because I believe that there is no one suitable for the role interested in filling the role.

I was asked to step down by Mick, with a statement that "there are problems" with no details provided on what those problems are. When I asked what those problems are, the response was "It's a yes or no question, anything else isn't productive."

The DM team did not identify any problems to identify that were within the DMA domain. A single new DM raised a a single concern and also alleged that I didn't desire to serve. The election is strictly the LA domain. Allegations that I had no desire to serve are false.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

paazin wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:54 pm
A few very practical questions:
  • What do you think of making toughness not restricted to level 1-only?
  • What do you think of lowering the base weight of hats (and thus also helmets) from 2 lbs to 1 lb?
  • What are your thoughts about the -6 damage limiter in general, and then its application to save vs death stuff?
  • https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm Toughness, by the book, grants +3 HP one time, and may be taken multiple times. ALFA's implementation of Toughness is far better, as it grants +1 HP/level up to a potential of +20 hp at level 20, for a single feat, instead of 6 feats for 18 HP.
    If we wanted to implement toughness to be taken at any time, we should make it like the core books. The level 1 restriction was in place as a balancing act between NWN2's not quite perfectly turn-based implementation of combat. I think that it is more advantageous to players as it is implemented right now.
  • We had hats in discussion recently. I don't really mind at all if hats are lowered to a very low weight, and I believe that I told the HDMs to go ahead and do it as they saw fit on their servers. I don't see the need for the DMA to step in and mandate it, as it is permissible now to alter it in the toolset by an HDM.
  • I like the -6 damage threshold for melee when creatures have multiple attacks.

In short, I wouldn't change what we have, because I think that DMs are free to "augment" the game as they see fit. (Though they should warn players if they do so.)

When I was actively DMing as HDM, I actually warned my players that "There's no Finger of Inconvenience or Bodak's Knockout Gaze. If you fail a save vs death on an instant death, I will pause the game, and auto-kill your character.

Players seemed fine with that, and I also used such creatures sparingly. No one ever died to that in one of my sessions, though a player soloing outside of one of my sessions DID die to a Beholder death ray while I was offline, which sadly, ended the campaign.

So in short, I wouldn't change it.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Duck One wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:13 pm
What have you done to reach out? How do you proactively support the DM's? What do you do to inspire them? Ever held a meeting to discuss topics? Ever solicit ideas? Ever delegate to someone else and empower them? Simply sitting and waiting for people coming to you then issuing a decree from on high is not genuine leadership. Far better than putting out fires is anticipating them and preventing them before they arise.
I reached out to a HDM on your behalf and resolved your conflict to mutual satisfaction. That's what I did to reach out and proactively support players and DMs alike.

My philosophy is to oversee the HDMs and servers per the charter and the rulebook, not to shape HDM policy. I view HDM autonomy as consistent with the Charter, and more ideal than trying to impose my opinion on HDMs.

The HDMs and DMs talk frequently in discord, and none have asked for a meeting. I'm not opposed to a meeting, but I sit through enough meetings at work not to want to make a meeting if there's not a clear agenda with open action items to discuss, and personnel assigned to resolve those action items and report on their success at the next meeting.

There are no fires to put out.
Duck One wrote:
That is separation of powers, not sharing of leadership. Sharing is taking turns, delegation, trusting that everyone on the team has something to contribute. I wrote this 5 years ago during a different ALFA election, and the responses in the thread are telling. I stepped down as the first ALFA DM Admin because having been a part of writing the charter and serving in the first admin, I had done my part and recognized that others needed a chance to contribute. Being part of a team means trusting that others on the team can also be effective. To be a good leader you also need to be able to be a good follower. You have had this role for an extremely long time, don't you think it is time to see what someone else could bring?
The election process will determine if the seat changes hands. "Sharing" is ingrained in our charter. It's not up to me to determine if someone else will bring something to the table, it's up to the voters.
Duck One wrote:
Your "accomplishments" you cite are things that happened while you were sitting in the seat. You managed to be present when events occurred. You didn't list any initiatives you launched or things you have done to improve. Could it be that you never had to discipline a DM because so little DMing was going on? Is that really something to trumpet?
Absolutely, not needing to discipline a DM is something to trumpet. If a DMA has to take an active role in ALFA decisions, it means that a HDM or a DM has done something out of hand and contrary to Pillars, Charter, Standards, or Rulebook. I take pride in not needing to step in and moderate DMs.

I do not view the DMA role as an advocacy position nor a public relations position; the Charter does not support that philosophy either.

It's HDMs who make us shine. It's HDMs who put in the hours and draw attention to players, and advocate for new DMs. When a DM returned to DM, I actively recruited her to HDM, and she graciously agreed to do so. She is very active.

I take that as an accomplishment.

Our other HDM has been incredibly active for the other two servers, and I did not recruit her to HDM, but I did appoint her to HDM while I was taking a leave of absence from HDMing. She was gracious enough to accept being HDM of two servers, instead of one.

Both of these HDMS rightly deserve the credit for their successes; I only empower them to continue doing what they do on their own by keeping out of their business while ensuring that they are working within ALFA guidelines, and they are doing so.
Duck One wrote:
As I stated above, I'm not DMing actively right now. I plan to remain active in ALFA.
Duck One wrote:
You may not want the "blame", but the responsibility was yours to manage. I don't see any cross-server campaigns you orchestrated. I don't see any marketing materials. I don't see any outreach to DM's to see what they need. You didn't bring me in, nor I doubt Wynna. I showed up and you said "okay", but it was not in response to anything you've done. I'm here in spite of you, not because of you. You had years to do something.
You are assigning blame for something that is not in my control. The DMA is not the HDM overloard. The HDMs didn't ask for cross-server campagins. ALFA has had very few cross-server campaigns, and the few that it did have were at the HDM request with the DMA overseeing it.

You are wrong about Wynna. She was an inactive DM who returned to DMing. I specifically approached her and asked her if she would be willing to take on the HDM role, and she graciously accepted.

You're a DM because of me. Your behavior with one of the HDMs as a player created a situation that I had to resolve. I accepted your application to DM in spite of my negative interaction with you and that HDM, because I did not want to allow my personal distaste for your attitude and communication skills to prevent the players who do enjoy being DMed by you from having that opportunity.

So yes, you are a DM in spite of your poor attitude and behavior, because of me, not in spite of me.

I strongly dislike you, and yet, here you are, a DM in good standing, and I'm glad for that.

I'm glad that there are players who have the opportunity to enjoy your DMing.
Duck One wrote:
Even if it is a lifetime appointment, at some point that person will die, and the responsibility will transition to someone else. The very first thing any good leader who cares about the responsibility they assume is make a plan on how they will hand off that responsibility to the next person. I take it by your response that you have nothing to transition. You have no ongoing plots to manage, no dialogues with DM's to sustain, no open issues to transition, no ongoing initiatives which will need follow-through. You are saying that you are such a passive admin that all you do is wait for the phone to ring, answer it curtly, and are done, and nothing about your administration should be pending what-so-ever when you leave office. It doesn't sound like it's that complicated for anyone to manage, so are you really adding that much value?

You failed to answer the question, by the way. If the people speak, and their voice is to go with someone else, will you support the will of the people? Will you do your best to help the incoming admin be ready to assume the responsibility? In other words, do you care about the project enough to help it even when you're not in charge?
Again, you seem to have a grand vision for the DMA role that is not defined in the charter or the rulebook.

It's almost like this is your campaign thread.

We have a fundamental disagreement on the purpose of the DMA role. We have a fundamental disagreement on DM style as well.

I'm not here to win your vote. But if you want to be petty, spiteful, vindictive, passive-aggressive, and melodramatic, I'll throw popcorn at that troll.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Veilan wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:34 pm
Following Arris lead, same questions as for mick (mostly):

What do you think are mick's best qualities that you might, if pressed, would have to find admirable?

Have you any ideas for staff roles, and possible candidates?

What is your relationship with the current HDMs and Admin?

What rule or thing, if any, do you see as the major obstacle to DMing?

Thank you for volunteering.

Cheers,
  • Mick has been active on ALFA for a fair bit of time. Mick has several players who enjoy playing with him and developing stories with him. His activity as a player in groups is inspiring to other players and helping to keep ALFA alive.
  • I pruned the DMA staff, because we no longer had the litany of issues to resolve that we did eight or so years ago. The DMA office doesn't need staff right now, but if an ALFAn has a grand idea and something to contribute that will add value, I'm open to entertaining it.
  • Ariana has been a HDM longer than I have. Wynna was an EADM who went inactive, and then came back to DM and I asked her to HDM and she accepted. Paazin has been a past HDM where I played, and a past builder, and is now active again. Ana|og Kid has been a player in some DM events that I ran. Ariana is the current Tech Admin as well as HDM for both of the servers that I host; clearly, we have to maintain a good working relationship for that to work well. You're the Lead Admin. You probably would like it if I were more politic on the forums, but I'm not inclined toward it, when forthright objectivity is easier.

All of the Admins chat about admin-related things from time to time in the admin channel. It remains civil.
  • The single major obstacle to DMing is not a rule, but is rather that a person have the drive and initiative to do it. It is a job, no way around it. It can be a fun job and a rewarding job, but it is a job and despite many attempts to make DMing more attractive, it simply isn't attractive to most players, because most players would rather play.
You're welcome.