Mick's 2020 DMA Platform and Questions

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Mick
Beholder

Mick's 2020 DMA Platform and Questions

Post by Mick »

Dungeon and Game Masters are the lifeblood of all role-playing games that rely on story, no matter the genre and regardless of the platform upon which they are played. This is as true for tabletop games as it is for those played on a computer server. When it comes to the game we play in ALFA, many things contribute to the success of our sessions, our servers, and our stories. Static content and a world that responds to the actions of the players are certainly valuable, but it is the stories that keep people coming back for more. Where there are DMs logged in there will be players. Where DMs are empowered to engage their players fully in their stories, there will be community members that keep coming back for more, even if the story turns against them.

What do I envision the DMA and our DMs can do for our player base? First and foremost, I want to see story enabled. Great stories are already in motion on our servers because of the DMs we currently have and the HDMs that guide their portions of our world. I want to see that continue and to expand the number of people who are helping players tell those stories. I would like to see more of our community involved in DMing, building, and playing. I genuinely believe that story and the ability to influence the worlds our contributors have built will draw people to join us. I want story to be the most prominent feature of our game, but I also would like players to feel as though they are consistently making progress, both in terms of character development and game mechanics.

This issue of PC advancement is one that bears discussion. It is something that has been discussed at nearly every point and many standards have been implemented throughout the history of ALFA to try to regulate how quickly PCs advance in levels or wealth. To be sure, standards are necessary, but it seems obvious to me that excessive regulation has at times driven away talented individuals or frustrated even the most dedicated of players. Because of this and because of our desire to have more participation at every level, we should not be afraid to challenge some of our previously accepted standards. For example, I believe that revisiting the topic of XP amounts for combat kills is worthwhile. Those discussions may result in no net changes, but we should not be afraid to examine such issues. I think it is also worth talking about increasing XP rewards for our lowest-level PCs so that they can achieve viability and the ability to participate in more adventures without death being guaranteed. We already have some mechanisms in place to assist this, but I think additional evaluation of such features may be beneficial. Nothing may come of it, but nothing will certainly come of it if we are not constantly trying to improve. I have some specific ideas that I would like to see considered, but more importantly, I would like to know what our DMs believe would be most helpful in bringing story and enjoyment to players.

DMs and players. Ultimately those are the groups I want to help as DMA. The collaborative interaction between DMs and players and the collaboration between the administrative mechanism and both groups are what should keep this community strong.

I should make it clear that I am neither interested in nor a supporter of wholesale changes or of a standards or story overhaul. Our HDMs and DMs over the years have, by and large, done a great job keeping this community afloat. One thing that ALFA has enjoyed over its long history is that people always step up to work alongside others to make the community something special. I have done that in the past and I think it is time for me to do so again as DMA. I have been in leadership positions in large organizations filled with a variety of personalities and egos. I know that leadership in such environments is often more about putting out fires than in receiving accolades. Sometimes it is exclusively the former. However, that does not mean that trying to lead is not worth it, particularly if one cares about the organization, as I care about ALFA.

I await your questions.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Re: Mick's 2020 DMA Platform and Questions

Post by shad0wfax »

On 05/29/2015, your application to DM was approved, and you were added as a BG DM.
On 07/28/2015, you resigned as a BG DM and were formally censured by the previous DMA as follows:
Until further notice, Mick is not welcome as a dungeon master in good standing in ALFA. He has been found to use the SET XP function to grant 2000 experience to a player outside of normal DM rewards, and when asked for an explanation, chose to step down from DMing BG and refuse to comment to the DMA. Until such a time as an explanation is offered, he is not allowed to DM on any ALFA server.
This resulted in you being stripped of ALFA Moderator privileges as well as ALFA DM and BG DM privileges.

Are you willing to explain your actions violating ALFA rules to try to resolve the formal censure?

How do you justify your platform of working as a part of a team, promoting story advancement, and now leading a team of DMs and HDMs, when your past behavior on ALFA was contrary to the rules, unfair toward other players that did not receive special benefits, lasted less than two months, and resulted in the currently active censure prohibiting you from DMing as above?
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

Where do you stand on the the following issues, some under DMA authority and some not but still within admins role to discuss.

How do you feel about awarding xp or some other type of consequence for things done outside the game? It's already within the rules to award xp for character journals and after actions reports (I have no idea if that' s actually done though)but what about allowing actual DM'd sessions to occur outside the game, perhaps on discord itself for particular cases where a player or DM is physically unable to log into the game itself? Perhaps with certain parameters set and a ceiling on how much XP/gold might be earned through such a session, and again based on the DMs availability as well as with a copy of said session being kept as a record.

Would you be willing to support raising the amount of PC's players may have to three if they wish?

What are your thoughts on allowing DM's to to operate on a server in which they play?

There are occasions where RP spells and the like, operate one way on one server, and don't on another, or its just based on the DM at hands preference. In those instances where it has a huge bearing on gameplay would you promote conformity across servers? An example being the fly spell where it worked as intended with some DMs and not with others.

What are your thoughts on allowing an amnesty for previously banned players on a case by case basis?

There have been instances where some DMs took the role just to DM and help their buddies, ignore other players and/or help with their personal vendettas, what will you do in those instances where that's the obviously the case but otherwise they're sort of staying within the rules?
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

I will ask both those competing for the position the same questions . . . .

How fast do you feel a PC should rise from newborn PC to level 3? With both static content and at least one DM session a week available.
a week?
3 weeks?
6 weeks?
or longer ?
How fast to level 5?
================================================================
Do you feel that a DM should also be able to play a PC on the same server they DM on?
==================================================================
Do you feel that ALFA servers should stick as much as possible to cannon material for 3.5 content or go off towards more homebrew systems for crafting and companions as the WD NWN1 server has done?
=====================================================================
Do you feel PCs should be regulated to the wealth system as laid out for 3.5 in the SRD or allowed to have as much as they can accumulate at any level?
====================================================================
Would you change the Pillars of ALFA in any fashion? If so which ones and how?
http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Pillars
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Thanks for stepping up Mick.

Storytelling definitely is what's at the heart of ALFA and the reason we play here, and DMs play a huge part in that storytelling since they not only are the final arbiters mechanically/rules-wise, but they also make the NPCs, the environment, the entire world around PCs come alive and interact with PCs. This is especially pronounced in ALFA since static (ie. DM-less) interactive content hasn't been as big a priority as other online projects.

With that in view, I have 2 questions that I think naturally flow from this premise (and one that is unrelated) - apologies for any lack of coherence, it's late and I'm tired:

1. What kind of stories do you think are best emphasized, featured in ALFA? i.e. there are other RP oriented servers in both nwn1 and 2, and they have stories too - possibly different kind of stories but stories nonetheless (even a heavily action oriented PW or character tells stories - mostly about beating things up but still stories). I hear there's even *gasp* very excellent RPers and storytellers on 'those other servers'.

So what do you think sets ALFA's storytelling (or storytelling potential at least) apart and makes us go 'Those are the kinds of stories I'd like to be a part of, and can't find elsewhere'?

2. assuming we have some clarity about the kinds of stories ALFA is best set up to tell, how do you feel DMs can be encouraged/empowered to foster those types of stories? Can you present some specific ideas or resources that may not be in place currently that would facilitate, encourage and empower DMs to best do this? In your view, are there questionable or even outright needless restrictions in place currently for DMs that do not serve these interests well, or at all?

3. we're in the midst of a rather unique set of circumstances worldwide (the pandemic/shut in), which I wouldn't be surprised might coincide with at least some resurgence of interest in NWN online play. Is there anything unique that you're thinking of to try to capitalize on this from a DMA perspective?

Mick wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:05 am

This issue of PC advancement is one that bears discussion. It is something that has been discussed at nearly every point and many standards have been implemented throughout the history of ALFA to try to regulate how quickly PCs advance in levels or wealth. To be sure, standards are necessary, but it seems obvious to me that excessive regulation has at times driven away talented individuals or frustrated even the most dedicated of players. Because of this and because of our desire to have more participation at every level, we should not be afraid to challenge some of our previously accepted standards. For example, I believe that revisiting the topic of XP amounts for combat kills is worthwhile. Those discussions may result in no net changes, but we should not be afraid to examine such issues. I think it is also worth talking about increasing XP rewards for our lowest-level PCs so that they can achieve viability and the ability to participate in more adventures without death being guaranteed. We already have some mechanisms in place to assist this, but I think additional evaluation of such features may be beneficial. Nothing may come of it, but nothing will certainly come of it if we are not constantly trying to improve. I have some specific ideas that I would like to see considered, but more importantly, I would like to know what our DMs believe would be most helpful in bringing story and enjoyment to players.
Also, can you expound on this a bit further specifically ?
Last edited by Ithildur on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Thanks for the questions so far. On call tomorrow. I will get to them soon.
Talk less. Listen more.

Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

shad0wfax wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:19 am
On 05/29/2015, your application to DM was approved, and you were added as a BG DM.
On 07/28/2015, you resigned as a BG DM and were formally censured by the previous DMA as follows:

This resulted in you being stripped of ALFA Moderator privileges as well as ALFA DM and BG DM privileges.

Are you willing to explain your actions violating ALFA rules to try to resolve the formal censure?

How do you justify your platform of working as a part of a team, promoting story advancement, and now leading a team of DMs and HDMs, when your past behavior on ALFA was contrary to the rules, unfair toward other players that did not receive special benefits, lasted less than two months, and resulted in the currently active censure prohibiting you from DMing as above?
Shadowfax, speaking of following rules, did you get permission to post information contained in a closed private forum to the public? Did you consult with the parties concerned? Is it fair to post this without the context that goes with it? Is this your way of illustrating how team-oriented and fair you are? Typically when a candidate stops talking about ideas and vision and turns to attack their opponent, it means they're scared of trying to win based upon their own merits.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Arianna wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:38 am
How fast do you feel a PC should rise from newborn PC to level 3? With both static content and at least one DM session a week available.
a week?
3 weeks?
6 weeks?
or longer ?
How fast to level 5?
This is a difficult question to answer in a few words because players play significantly different amounts and there is a wide variation in styles of play. Some are going to play almost every day. Others are only going to show up for DMed sessions. Some will be adventurous from the outset and are trying to solo before they get to 2nd level, while a few will not even depart from tavern RP until they are certain the thug in the docks will not be able to murder them. I will assume that the players in question play a couple of hours per non-DMed session (during which static content is being used) and those sessions number 2-3/week, in addition to one DMed session per week.

Under those "averages," I think a reasonable time to 3rd level would be about two weeks. That creates a situation where most PCs will be more viable. Most will have at least 15 hp (less likely to die in one hit from appropriate CR encounters) and the they will have an additional feat (two in the case of fighters) that will help them navigate the game. A reasonable time to reach 5th level would be in the neighborhood of six to eight weeks. The problem with setting such expectations, however, is that players start to expect them and, as mentioned above, play styles are not all conducive to the same rate of advancement.

That said, I would support an option for PCs to start at 2nd or 3rd level. I will detail my thoughts on that in response to another question that was posed by Ith.
Do you feel that a DM should also be able to play a PC on the same server they DM on?
No. In general, I am not in favor of this. The one exception would be if we were to establish a general server that could be used as a destination server for special events (e.g.-in remote locales for story) that all DMs had access to. Obviously, a DM's PC should not be excluded from those types of adventures. I am not staunchly against people playing where they DM and I would be willing to discuss it if most of the DM population seemed to favor it, but personally I would prefer we not allow it.
Do you feel that ALFA servers should stick as much as possible to cannon material for 3.5 content or go off towards more homebrew systems for crafting and companions as the WD NWN1 server has done?
I feel pretty strongly that we should be trying to replicate PnP D&D set in the Forgotten Realms as much as we can from a rules and canon standpoint. However, anyone can find holes in canon and many PnP games have some piece of homebrew or another. I do not support wholesale deviation from the 3.5 ruleset, but I do believe that there are descriptions of all sorts of rituals and events and victories in the FR setting that sure do not sound like they went down according to the rules we play by (Tyndal at Daggerford?) It has always been the purview of DMs to stretch the rules (and outcomes and rewards, for that matter) for the sake of story. Does every adventure need to feature the scrawny nerd PC armed only with his pencil (and not a John Wick pencil) standing alone against the last three orcs to save the damsel and win the day? No, but is kinda cool when it happens now and then. I believe that such moments should be possible for clever players who offer clever solutions to DMs who value such, even if the game engine suggests it cannot happen. Some of those may have previously been considered by the DM, but some may not have. I would see DMs empowered to make those calls to bring their stories to conclusions that are both memorable and enjoyable.

As for crafting and companions, I would say that I am in favor of PC crafting within the 3.5 rules. Such should be relatively infrequent, but when undertaken should produce predictable results for PCs, who must have the skills and feats necessary to do it. I would also support a special crafting or creating event as part of a well-told story or campaign arc that suggested such was appropriate. I would have no problem with such events creating something not described by the 3.5 rules in the book. However, these events should be even less common than other forms of crafting. I am not in favor of the type of homebrew crafting featured on WD presently. Ayergo has done remarkable work creating that system and it brings a lot of enjoyment to many who use it, but the degree of deviation from 3.5 crafting and the spectacular results sometimes obtained are imbalancing, IMO, and I believe they skew server economy, as well as the dynamics of PC behavior, PC challenges, and outcomes of planned adventures.
Do you feel PCs should be regulated to the wealth system as laid out for 3.5 in the SRD or allowed to have as much as they can accumulate at any level?
I do think that wealth should be regulated to some degree. Large disparities between PCs can create all manner of ill feelings and friction, particularly when there are instances of perceived favoritism. Historically, PC wealth came to be watched because of a few people who acquired spectacular amounts of wealth and because of the concern for fairness when it came to CvC. The latter of these does not seem to be much of a problem these days, but it is always theoretically possible. My impression has always been that PCs have been at the low end of the wealth ranges throughout my time in ALFA. All of us can likely remember those adventures where we used far more consumables than our gained reward could replace. I am not in favor of unbridled accumulation of either gear or hard currency (never a fan of Monty Haul campaigns), but I would like to see our averages at the middle to high end of the range. I suspect that even modest increases and consistent gains for PCs would satisfy most players. I should also mention that intangible markers of wealth (houses, businesses) should be considered when possible for PCs that are above wealth standards. Such things do not directly affect the game engine, but they often greatly enhance the RP and ongoing stories.
Would you change the Pillars of ALFA in any fashion? If so which ones and how?
http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Pillars
The only one that is open for debate in my mind is #3. That was once the goal of a more robust ALFA, but given the overall population of online D&D players who are willing to accept Permadeath and Hardcore RP, I think it is unlikely to be achieved. There is nothing wrong with it staying a goal, but I think that one is more of historical interest at this point. Now, if we had a destination server, it could represent anywhere in Faerun.

Thanks for the questions!
Talk less. Listen more.

shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Mick wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:18 am
No. In general, I am not in favor of this. The one exception would be if we were to establish a general server that could be used as a destination server for special events (e.g.-in remote locales for story) that all DMs had access to. Obviously, a DM's PC should not be excluded from those types of adventures. I am not staunchly against people playing where they DM and I would be willing to discuss it if most of the DM population seemed to favor it, but personally I would prefer we not allow it.
Have you read http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Rule ... A.29_Rules?

Do you plan to address your ineligibility to DM and resolve your censure?
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

shad0wfax wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:19 am
On 07/28/2015, you resigned as a BG DM and were formally censured by the previous DMA for doing (probably really cool) stuff
SF - It's this kind of slavish adherence to outdated standards that kills creativity and dis-empowers dungeon masters. You are much better to screen dungeon masters "at the border" and let them do great creative things while trusting them. I've known Mick as a both a player and DM for what, a decade? more? He is a top notch guy who is a top notch rp'er and truly talented player and DM. Without question he is an alfa all-star. If the peons had votes on DMA he would have mine for sure.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

I really do not have a dog in this fight as I am primarily a NWNEE player, but I have to say everything I have ever seen from Mick in regards to Role Playing as a Player, Story Crafting as a Dungeon Master, and everything else has been nothing short of the Gold Standard.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

I also echo the praises of Mick.
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Since I am likely out of touch during the weekend, just a pre-emptive reminder to stay civil to everyone. A spirited discussion is fair game, but please keep it there. This thread should serve for questions and mick's platform, questions to shad0wfax can go to his thread. Accusations of rule violations especially ought to go before the proper instances.

Direct interaction between the candidates is of course permissible but please make sure that these are done respectfully, even when disagreeing passionately about something. I have spoken to both candidates and am convinced they both will endeavour to do that.

Carry on and please keep in mind that this is a shared hobby. I will not have any of the hyperpartisanship or "feelings trump facts and hostility trumps civility" that is plaguing real life in my hobby, and thank you all for supporting me in this.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

And actual questions:

What do you think are shad0wfax' best qualities or achievements in ALFA? How would you match or emulate them?

Have you any ideas for staff roles, and possible candidates?

What is your relationship with the current HDMs and Admin?

What rule or thing, if any, do you see as the major obstacle to DMing?

Thank you for volunteering.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

I don't really get a say as I'm not a "real" DM apparently, but I do highly recommend exponential decay of XP for kills, with parity around level 10. This helps people level quickly at first and level off. I'm happy to share Waterdeep's scripts for kill XP if its of any help.

With that, what would you change, if anything, about the NWN1 "non-official" status?
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind