Mick's 2020 DMA Platform and Questions

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Mick
Beholder

Re: Mick's 2020 DMA Platform and Questions

Post by Mick »

Analogkid wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:03 am
Where do you stand on the the following issues, some under DMA authority and some not but still within admins role to discuss.

How do you feel about awarding xp or some other type of consequence for things done outside the game? It's already within the rules to award xp for character journals and after actions reports (I have no idea if that' s actually done though)but what about allowing actual DM'd sessions to occur outside the game, perhaps on discord itself for particular cases where a player or DM is physically unable to log into the game itself? Perhaps with certain parameters set and a ceiling on how much XP/gold might be earned through such a session, and again based on the DMs availability as well as with a copy of said session being kept as a record.
I am definitely in favor of the rewarding of XP for RP or story contributions to the game that may be submitted on the forum. I believe this should start with the submission of a PC biography to DMs. I will discuss that aspect in more detail when I get down to Ith's questions. Other pieces, whether they be stories, songs, poems, or whatever should be also be awarded some XP, IMO. Of course, the amounts to award for such things are vulnerable to subjective evaluations and not all DMs would reward evenly. Such things would probably need to be discussed to set some expectations and/or limits for DMs for things submitted outside of RP in the game, but I would be inclined to empower DMs to reward as they see fit for bits and pieces that increase the enjoyment in the community. Ideally, however, most of our contributions should be happening via RP in game...by no means all, but most.

With regard to RP being carried out in chat or some other milieu outside of the clients, to be honest, I have never really considered it. When we have done these sorts of things before, it always seemed like it was when the server had gone down or there were some connectivity or lag issues and they always seemed to be short-lived. If a DM wanted to, for some reason, carry out some RP on Discord, I would leave it to them to award XP if they thought it appropriate. I would not support material rewards under such circumstances, unless some instance arose that I have trouble envisioning right now. Were that to happen, I suppose a case-by-case discussion would have to be had.
Would you be willing to support raising the amount of PC's players may have to three if they wish?
As long as server travel rules are enforced, I would not stand in the way of a one PC per server limit. I have never been a big fan of multiple PCs, but if people want to spread out their time between PCs, I would say let them.
What are your thoughts on allowing DM's to to operate on a server in which they play?
Please see my answer to this question above in my responses to Ari.
There are occasions where RP spells and the like, operate one way on one server, and don't on another, or its just based on the DM at hands preference. In those instances where it has a huge bearing on gameplay would you promote conformity across servers? An example being the fly spell where it worked as intended with some DMs and not with others.
I tend to entrust this to individual DMs. I will always encourage and even expect DMs to allow for things that should be allowed in PnP that the engine may not support. This applies to RP spells (including fly), climbing or jumping that is not scripted, disguises (with or without magical assistance), and anything else that can be found in PnP that makes the story better. If something comes up where it seems like that things are not being entertained or applied evenly, then the DMs should get together and try to come to a consensus.

That said, not all DMs have the same degree of command of the game rules and asking for this out-of-engine trick or that one may impose excess stress and consume excess time when they are trying to keep an adventure going. We as players need to try to be understanding in such moments and if something does not succeed as spectacularly on one server where it has on another, we need to make the best of it. Full disclosure, sometimes I am bad at this particular thing.
What are your thoughts on allowing an amnesty for previously banned players on a case by case basis?
I am in favor of this. I am a big believer in second (or more, depending) chances. It's always OK for individuals to forgive, as it is up to them. It is not always in an organization's best interest to forgive, but sometimes it might be.
There have been instances where some DMs took the role just to DM and help their buddies, ignore other players and/or help with their personal vendettas, what will you do in those instances where that's the obviously the case but otherwise they're sort of staying within the rules?
While I hope that all of our players are getting DM love, DMs always have their favorites and their less-than-favorites. Always. It would be my hope that it is kept to a minimum and that it would not result in anything unfair or egregious transpiring. It is often easy to say that this is what is going on, but sometimes harder to prove. I loathe the thought of poring over logs and comparing challenge/reward statistics to prove some sort of impropriety, but someone somewhere might find it necessary or even enjoy it.

Thanks for the questions.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Ithildur wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:34 am
1. What kind of stories do you think are best emphasized, featured in ALFA? i.e. there are other RP oriented servers in both nwn1 and 2, and they have stories too - possibly different kind of stories but stories nonetheless (even a heavily action oriented PW or character tells stories - mostly about beating things up but still stories). I hear there's even *gasp* very excellent RPers and storytellers on 'those other servers'.

So what do you think sets ALFA's storytelling (or storytelling potential at least) apart and makes us go 'Those are the kinds of stories I'd like to be a part of, and can't find elsewhere'?
Whatever kind of stories our DMs and players would like to collaborate on. I love the story that comes with a recurring quirky NPC occasionally pestering the same PC at the tavern. I love a server-wide conspiracy story that involves everyone on server and in which the fate of the [insert big thing everyone values dearly] hangs in the balance. I especially like the latter when even low-level PCs bring some small (or even big) contribution to said story to help everyone save the day. What I really love, though, are the stories that involve PCs intimately and which make players feel a connection to what is happening and stories that see the PCs grow and develop. That can happen in all sorts of stories on all sorts of servers. Permadeath guarantees that ALFA will not be for everyone, but hopefully those players who appreciate permadeath and the types of stories we offer will want to stay.

As for what sets us apart, I think the collaboration of individuals (both players and DMs) is what makes us special. I think having some players around who are not afraid to create the story on an evening when there is no DM about is one of the things that has kept me coming back.
2. assuming we have some clarity about the kinds of stories ALFA is best set up to tell, how do you feel DMs can be encouraged/empowered to foster those types of stories? Can you present some specific ideas or resources that may not be in place currently that would facilitate, encourage and empower DMs to best do this? In your view, are there questionable or even outright needless restrictions in place currently for DMs that do not serve these interests well, or at all?
I think just trusting DM teams to take care of our players and encouraging them to push/pull/stress/reward the PCs as they see fit as it pertains to the story. DMs get to have fun too, you know (j/k, I know you know.) Recruiting more DMs to the teams and setting some expectations on the number of sessions per month they should run (within reason) might be a good place to start. Having some division of labor in the DM or DM staff ranks would also be beneficial, I think. Server/area building, making toolset content, and writing quests are all things that can be divvied up between DMs/staff. Some DMs might be big plot DMs, some might be PC development DMs, and some might just be up for providing some flavor. I have always liked placing encounters on server and then dropping an IC or forum hook to entice some group activity to be done when enough people are gathered. I would actually like to see more of that sort of thing and such things do not require a lot of preparation. It is a great way to add to the game and player enjoyment and it is unlikely to burn DMs out. Such placed encounters can also provide some relief for DMs who are trying to bring bigger things to life.

As for restrictions, more on that will be forthcoming when I address another question that has been posed.
3. we're in the midst of a rather unique set of circumstances worldwide (the pandemic/shut in), which I wouldn't be surprised might coincide with at least some resurgence of interest in NWN online play. Is there anything unique that you're thinking of to try to capitalize on this from a DMA perspective?
I think providing quality story and gameplay so that people become addicted and crave the game fortnightly would be a great place to start for all of our players. For some community members who have taken this opportunity to reconnect with ALFA, I would like to be able to demonstrate that we are all about Game A and that there is very little of Game B that many of them likely remember.

Also...whisky and pie (as you prefer.)
Mick wrote: This issue of PC advancement is one that bears discussion. It is something that has been discussed at nearly every point and many standards have been implemented throughout the history of ALFA to try to regulate how quickly PCs advance in levels or wealth. To be sure, standards are necessary, but it seems obvious to me that excessive regulation has at times driven away talented individuals or frustrated even the most dedicated of players. Because of this and because of our desire to have more participation at every level, we should not be afraid to challenge some of our previously accepted standards. For example, I believe that revisiting the topic of XP amounts for combat kills is worthwhile. Those discussions may result in no net changes, but we should not be afraid to examine such issues. I think it is also worth talking about increasing XP rewards for our lowest-level PCs so that they can achieve viability and the ability to participate in more adventures without death being guaranteed. We already have some mechanisms in place to assist this, but I think additional evaluation of such features may be beneficial. Nothing may come of it, but nothing will certainly come of it if we are not constantly trying to improve. I have some specific ideas that I would like to see considered, but more importantly, I would like to know what our DMs believe would be most helpful in bringing story and enjoyment to players.
Also, can you expound on this a bit further specifically ?
I provided a bit of discussion in response to Ari's questions above.

When it comes to XP for combat kills, our rewards are a tiny fraction of what they would be in PnP per CR. Of course we would never have anything approaching the amount of xp you might give for creature kills in PnP, but there comes a point where seeing an enemy (or 10 in a group) go down without any xp reward detracts from enjoyment. It can be frustrating to kill a monster that can do significant damage to you and make you use consumables only to get a pittance or even no xp and no loot drop. To be sure, I understand why these things were implemented. Farming is going to be a problem for any persistent world where PCs have the ability to kill things that may reward them (even without knowing about dopamine hits.) I certainly approve of diminishing returns and of taking action against those who farm or camp or metagame for the sake of killing stuff. That said, I think we have taken XP reduction a bit too far. I would like to see what our formula is for combat XP reward and see if it can be altered to increase rewards a bit without breaking or imbalancing things. I would also support scripting that allowed for increased XP for combat kills that occur in a group so that soloing is not particularly attractive for folks. Ayergo has this on WD and it really seems to work well and to foster group activity.

I would like us to examine the possibility of starting PCs out at 2nd or 3rd level. Being low level sucks. Everyone knows this. One of the things that makes people choose to take a resurrection is the dread of having to start over at level 1, even when IC resurrections should probably be a pretty rare thing. I would like to introduce an option for people to start at up to 3rd level, but they would need to provide a detailed bio to have that privilege. Many people spend the first couple of levels figuring out how to play their PCs and most do not mess with a bio until level 3 (or later or never, for some) anyway. Many biographies also suggest some background training and experience with this or that and being 1st level stepping off the boat may not make the most sense. What I would suggest is allowing people to submit a detailed bio before they ever roll up their toon on a server. The bio would be evaluated by the DM team (or a central staff person?) and they could objectively decide if it warranted the 3rd level start. The toon then gets rolled up and a DM grants them 3,000xp to position them for 3rd level. If someone wanted to play some without a bio to see if they were going to like a toon's concept, look, or feel, then should feel free to start at level 1 and get to figuring that out. If they get to level 2 under those circumstances and then submit a detailed bio, then they can be bumped to level 3. Any bio submitted after level 3 would still reap an XP reward, but perhaps only 500 XP. The specifics of this could be discussed among the DMs to arrive at a consensus, but I think the idea would provide some flexibility at the beginning and a leg up for those who know quickly what they want to their PC to be. I think it also holds a lot of value for DMs, as they will have material to work with and cater to for new PCs from the very beginning of a PC's journey.

Speaking of DMs and rewarding at low level, I know that there are some to make a point to reward higher XP (even twice as much) for 1st and 2nd level PCs. I think this should be standard practice across all DMs.

As mentioned above, I have additional thoughts when I address another question that has been posed.

Thanks for the questions!
Last edited by Mick on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talk less. Listen more.

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Veilan wrote: And actual questions:

What do you think are shad0wfax' best qualities or achievements in ALFA? How would you match or emulate them?
Shad0wfax has a command of the tech aspect of this game that I believe only a few in our community have had or currently have. In my generally tech naive eyes, this command extends not only to the hardware and network aspects, but also to scripting. There is no question that from a tech knowledge standpoint, at this moment he has me outmatched. He also has a deep knowledge of the 3.5 game and associated canon. This is invaluable in a community that comes together to play D&D.

I am a firm believer that when you work alongside quality smart people that one cannot help but get smarter. The presence of Ari, Wynna, Paazin, and others make me think that my tech knowledge will expand if I were to work with them closely. That said, computers and software and coding are not my day job and so there will definitely be a learning curve. As far as it is necessary for the role of DMA, I will climb that curve. I already have made arrangements for better internet service (my current ISP kinda sucks) and I hope to be able to host (maybe a destination or test server?) if need be. The upgrade is not in place yet, but I am told it will not be too terribly long.
Have you any ideas for staff roles, and possible candidates?
The DMs and HDMs will be my focus. Other staff positions may or may not arise depending on what changes or community demands (if any) lay in the future. As such are an unknown at this time, I do not have any specific positions or individuals in mind at this time.
What is your relationship with the current HDMs and Admin?
I have played with, DMed, or been DMed by all of our current Admin and HDMs. I am on what I think are very good terms with most of them and I know I can work with almost all of them. Truthfully, I actually have gotten to know you the least among the Admin and I think that is largely because of time zones. We had some differences of opinion years back, but I think we moved past it without too much trouble and nothing makes me think we could not work together moving forward.
What rule or thing, if any, do you see as the major obstacle to DMing?
It is not really an obstacle, but I think one of the bigger frustrations for DMs is the time it takes to toolset in NWN2, particularly when it comes to new areas. I may be wrong, but the time it takes to get building done may prevent some from signing up or may sap their desire to continue once they are on board.

Another thing that I know has troubled some DMs along the way is having every action or move questioned by this or that party. Sometimes that comes from the players, sometimes from an HDM, and sometimes from Admin. Sometimes those questions are justified. Other times they are not. I believe that DMs should be empowered to collaborate with players to tell stories and that those stories be allowed to unfold in unique and interesting ways. We need to have rules, of course, but the rules should serve the game and the story, rather than vice versa.

More on that a bit later when I answer another question that has been posed.

Thanks for your questions!
Talk less. Listen more.

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

ayergo wrote: I don't really get a say as I'm not a "real" DM apparently, but I do highly recommend exponential decay of XP for kills, with parity around level 10. This helps people level quickly at first and level off. I'm happy to share Waterdeep's scripts for kill XP if its of any help.
I would welcome this. I think you did a really spectacular job creating it and fine-tuning it quickly.
With that, what would you change, if anything, about the NWN1 "non-official" status?
I think the beauty of what you have done with WD is that it has evolved out from under some of our more restrictive rules and regulations. You know I support out of the box thinking when it comes to stories and DMing and the world you have built really allows that to blossom. It is one of its strengths, really. That said, you know where I stand on the extent of implemented homebrew (crafting and otherwise) and any discussion about moving to "official" ALFA status, if it were desired, would have to address those differences.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer a word about the relationship between the NWN:EE WD and the rest of our servers. I am of the opinion that, as currently constructed, the two should not be related in any form or fashion for story purposes. I think they should be thought of as being in parallel universes that diverged from a common timeline at some point (i.e.-they share common FR canon, but that is about it.) As such, I think that any PC concept that has been tried in the one could also be tried in the other and we should neither attempt to hinder such nor worry about conflicting storylines between the two projects. Obviously, if the status of WD were to change, that would not be the case, but as things stand now, that is my personal view of it.
Talk less. Listen more.

paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

A few very practical questions:
  • What do you think of making toughness not restricted to level 1-only?
  • What do you think of lowering the base weight of hats (and thus also helmets) from 2 lbs to 1 lb?
  • What are your thoughts about the -6 damage limiter in general, and then its application to save vs death stuff?
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

paazin wrote: A few very practical questions:

[*]What do you think of making toughness not restricted to level 1-only?
I think it should be a feat that is available at any level where feats are taken. I never understood its restriction to PC creation and I support making it available at any time.
[*]What do you think of lowering the base weight of hats (and thus also helmets) from 2 lbs to 1 lb?
I am indifferent to this. If it means cloth hoods or hats are lighter, I would be in favor of reducing the weight of all head gear to a low number (0.5-1.0 pounds or whatever) and consider that the weight of actual armor helmets be thought of as being wrapped up in the weight of heavier armor. I honestly do not think it is worth spending a lot of time or energy on either way.
[*]What are your thoughts about the -6 damage limiter in general, and then its application to save vs death stuff?
I like the -6 floor as a safeguard that allows people who adventure with friends to have a chance to stop someone from bleeding out with quick action. This substantially increases survival for those who play in groups, particularly at low level. However, I feel pretty strongly that it should do nothing to prevent death effects. That is what saving throws and other buffs are for. Instakill spells and effects suck, to be sure, but Faerun is a dangerous place. I would leave the -6 in place for damage, but remove it for death effects. Despite my own personal feelings on it, if most of the DMs and Admin want to leave it as is, I would not press that particular issue.
Talk less. Listen more.

shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Are you willing to explain your actions violating ALFA rules to try to resolve the formal censure that is currently in place?
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

shad0wfax wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:19 am
On 05/29/2015, your application to DM was approved, and you were added as a BG DM.
On 07/28/2015, you resigned as a BG DM and were formally censured by the previous DMA as follows:
Until further notice, Mick is not welcome as a dungeon master in good standing in ALFA. He has been found to use the SET XP function to grant 2000 experience to a player outside of normal DM rewards, and when asked for an explanation, chose to step down from DMing BG and refuse to comment to the DMA. Until such a time as an explanation is offered, he is not allowed to DM on any ALFA server.
This resulted in you being stripped of ALFA Moderator privileges as well as ALFA DM and BG DM privileges.

Are you willing to explain your actions violating ALFA rules to try to resolve the formal censure?

How do you justify your platform of working as a part of a team, promoting story advancement, and now leading a team of DMs and HDMs, when your past behavior on ALFA was contrary to the rules, unfair toward other players that did not receive special benefits, lasted less than two months, and resulted in the currently active censure prohibiting you from DMing as above?
First of all, I would like to address the reward. I freely admit that the XP award that Toby received was above the guidelines generally maintained in ALFA. However, the reward came at the end of a literal live-or-die session that pertained to a possible PrC. It was the culmination of several sessions and death for the PC was probable. Therefore, I felt survival and success should yield something special.

I am a firm believer that there are moments in PCs’ journeys where special things are accomplished or special events transpire. I believe such moments should bring special rewards. That could come in the form of either a nice material reward or a large XP boon. PC converts a good PC to their own dark god or vice versa? 2000xp or more might be the reward. PC builds a shrine to their god that attracts other followers? They might gain an entire level. PC undergoes a formidable trial or a life-threatening adventure to save the life of someone of importance? They might be given an heirloom, the value of which is beyond what is appropriate for their level. These are just a few examples.

I am not suggesting that rewards such as these should be commonplace occurrences. I am not saying that every PC will have such a moment in their lives. However, I will always maintain that our DMs should be empowered to effect such rewards and entrusted to know when they are appropriate. It is probably a good idea for the DM team to discuss them, but that will require that the HDMs and DMs trust and respect one another and are willing to have a reasonable discussion about the decisions being made.

As to one PC receiving this boon in the past, I fail to see how that deprived other PCs of anything at all. This was not an act of favoritism on my part, but rather what I thought was a justified reward for some remarkable RP and story advancement that had occurred over the course of many sessions. Had I continued DMing, I would have had no trouble rewarding other PCs similarly if events warranted it. These rewards are not particularly imbalancing, in my experience, and they do not break the game. I would suggest that all DM teams should be allowed to do the same. As I have pointed out elsewhere, the rules serve the game, not vice versa.

Now, a word about the “censure.”

I will push aside the facts that per ALFA Charter 3.1 even a valid censure that far back does not disqualify me from this position and that a verdict was rendered without the benefit of a proper investigation, AR representation, or notification of the censure (as highlighted under ALFA Charter 4.1.) I will also move beyond the fact that a first-time censure progressed to a full ban, which suggests that it might have been more personal in nature and less according to the rules set forth in http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Rule ... A.29_Rules. I will speak to the assertion you have quoted above from a private forum.
Until such a time as an explanation is offered, he is not allowed to DM on any ALFA server.
I will not relate the multiple PMs pertaining to this issue between SF, SSM, and myself, as they are private in nature. However, I can offer some context. The aforementioned XP reward was discovered some weeks after it was given. It was discovered because the HDM (Shad0wfax at the time) was reviewing logs and found the outlier. I will not go so far as to suggest the motivations behind said review, but the nature of it and the tone of the chiding I was given, combined with the general management style I had come to know as a DM on SF’s server, prompted me to resign after he sent his initial ruling. He was not happy with this turn of events and decided to press the issue. Events that had transpired over my brief time DMing, culminating in this event, ensured that I was not interested in having a discussion that was unlikely to be either reasonable or productive. The DMA (SSM at the time) was brought in to try to gather an explanation, which I initially avoided because of my impression that a reasonable and fair interaction was not likely. However, I eventually provided an explanation to SSM. I have documentation of all of this (the final PM pertaining to this was on 7/28/2015 at 19:31 CDT.) Owing to my degree of disgust at the ALFA environment in general and with that interaction specifically, I took a break from ALFA. Apparently a “censure” was entered into the record at some point without my knowledge. That is all the detail I can provide without sharing private PMs. Some who are reading this might love for that to happen, but certainly some would not, and I am not sure that airing them out would be beneficial or constructive at this point.

I think that what I can offer now in conclusion, is that, as a DM, I have always sought to bring quality and memorable stories to our players. I have always had their enjoyment and engagement at the fore of my philosophy. Part of that enjoyment includes both reaping appropriate rewards and PC growth. I make no apologies for such.

Thanks for the questions!
Talk less. Listen more.

shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

https://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Rule ... of_Conduct
Dungeon Master Administrator (DMA) Rules

DM Code of Conduct

In-game infractions committed by a member logged in as a DM shall result in disciplinary action at the sole discretion of the Dungeon Master Administrator (DMA), up to and including permanent removal of DM status.

As community leaders in positions of trust and authority, Dungeon Masters (DMs) are to be held to a higher standard than players; should a member who is also a DM receive a sanction by the Infrastructure Administrator (IA) or Player Administrator (PA), the DMA may impose additional and/or independent sanctions against the member, up to and including permanent removal of DM status.
There after two separate clauses here.

The first, is that DM infractions after the sole domain of DMA.

The second, is that IF, a DM is hit with an IA or PA censure, THEN, the DMA can impose additional or independent penalties.

You didn't receive a PA or IA ruling and therefore weren't entitled to an AR.

You were permanently removed from DM eligibility until the situation is responded to and resolved.

You have stated that you offer no apologies and stand by what you did, which will not resolve the censure.

Do you still maintain that given the below:

The DMA action is separate from a PA action, and has been codified as above for longer than I have been an ALFA member. This process does not involve the PA or ARs, because it has no bearing on the ability to play on ALFA as a player and cannot ban a player without PA involvement.

ALFA has a standardized and cross-server uniform XP rewards system for DM sessions in place. Factors affecting DM XP granted are:
  • Length of session
  • Difficulty of session
  • Quality of RP
This automated system generated logs of DM XP granted, separate from combat XP, separate from RPXP, and separate from stuff static quest XP, which all have unique log Identifiers stating "player has gained [amount] [type] XP.

This ensures that DMs have subjective control over XP and can reward thirty minutes of "tavern RP" with "no risk" and "little or poor RP" with a reasonable (low) value. I believe this works out to about 30 XP.

DMs can also award "cookies" at any time which after 10 XP.

Similarly, when a character is in a situation where exceptional risk is required, the session lasts five hours, and fantastic RP occurs, the automated system rewards, if I recall 800 XP.

As you can see, there is a vast difference in XP rewards, and the status system takes into account the length of the session, the risk, and the quality of the RP, which are all of the reasons that you cited.

The length of session selected can be cross referenced with DM and player log on and log off times. If a DM and player log in, 800 XP is given, and then FM and player log out, the DM can expect to be called on to justify that. (Maybe the player had to leave before XP was given at last night's session.)

These various types of XP rewards (static quest, RP XP, DM XP, and "cookies" show up in player XP reports.

The use of the SET XP function does not log as "Player received # XP" nor is it reported in player XP repoets. In fact, it's an entirely different log entry that is routinely investigated, as it is used only for administrative purposes like character rebuilds for corrupt .bic files, reversing a level that was just acquired due to an accidental feat or skill selected, etc.

Because SET XP can be used to both reduce and add XP outside of the reporting process and outside of standard values, the use of the function is restricted and monitored.

In the case above, you state that the player character took had exceptional RP and took exceptional risk, over multiple sessions. No one contests that, and a DM is trusted to use their subjective judgement on risk and RP quality assessments and is assumed to have done so properly. Again, this isn't contested.

We would expect to see multiple DM sessions where high XP rewards were given by the automated system, and we do see that: XP was given for each session at a high value with no issues.

However, at the end, there is a logged use of SET XP to grant 2,000 XP above and beyond all of the previous session XP.

The issue isn't quality of RP and risk.

The issues are double dipping XP (DM XP + SET XP) using an administrative XP tool (SET XP), and doing so in a manner that greatly exceeds the automated standard XP values which already have risk and quality of RP built into the formula for moderated advancement.

XP and item rewards beyond the standardized system require logging in the exceptional rewards thread, and review and approval by HDM (and possibly DMA).

Do you still stand behind the manner and the amount of the XP rewarded without documentation and using the unreported process, with the understanding that it was outside of the rules and found by the previous DMA to be a violation warranting permanent removal as a DM?
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

I have said all I am going to say about that topic.

I will be happy to entertain questions pertaining to other issues, if anyone has them.
Talk less. Listen more.

Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

What happened to Arryns bones?
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Rumple C wrote: What happened to Arryns bones?
Two words...soup base.
Talk less. Listen more.

Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Mick wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 pm
Rumple C wrote: What happened to Arryns bones?
Two words...soup base.
Mick knows how to DM(A)
12.August.2015: Never forget.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Should you lose the election for DMA, what plans or intentions do you have to be an active Player or DM within the community?
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

jmecha wrote: Should you lose the election for DMA, what plans or intentions do you have to be an active Player or DM within the community?
In the event that I lose, I have no intention of changing my level of involvement. I am having a great time and I am encouraged by the surge we have had lately. I hope that continues regardless of the outcome of this election.
Talk less. Listen more.