Veilan's Jun 2020 LA Q&A

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Veilan
Lead Admin

Veilan's Jun 2020 LA Q&A

Post by Veilan »

Why hello. Please be gentle, it's my... who am I kidding. Have fun!

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Re: Veilan's Jun 2020 LA Q&A

Post by paazin »

Hey, what do you think would be good ways to attract new folks?

We've been recently having (somewhat) of an influx both in ayergo's fortress of doom and our NWN2 servers -- it'd be great to retain engaged folks and attract others who may be interested.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Will you support me?
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

What are your thoughts on allowing players to have three PCs?
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

Analogkid wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 am
^ yo, this. 1 pc per server doesn't sound insane

WD has unlimited PCs and somehow it's not crumbled to dust :)
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

paazin wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:51 pm
Hey, what do you think would be good ways to attract new folks?

We've been recently having (somewhat) of an influx both in ayergo's fortress of doom and our NWN2 servers -- it'd be great to retain engaged folks and attract others who may be interested.
I concur that things are looking up at the moment, probably mostly due to motivated volunteers making things happen; especially since this uptick was in full force before The Thing happened (or maybe we should call it The Incident after Mitchell & Webb).

The brutally honest answer is that I have a fair few ideas how to improve on attraction and not really the time to put in the legwork. Any suggestions for a great staff head here are very welcome.

Mostly, it appears that our efforts to stay connected with the wider community are paying off, NWN 1 & 2 at this point are media that seem to attract people that are already comfortable with the platforms. Of course, increasing your market share in a shrinking market is never a good stand-alone tactic, but drawing completely new folk in is more difficult, even if worth effort. While retention is PA, maybe I could chat with him to hold some quizzes on our new additions and see what routes they took to gain some more targeted insight into what works, but yeah. I would mostly try to not be in the way and encourage approaches rather than having the time to put in the proper legwork.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Heero wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:19 am
Will you support me?
Never forget.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Analogkid wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 am
paazin wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:25 am
^ yo, this. 1 pc per server doesn't sound insane

WD has unlimited PCs and somehow it's not crumbled to dust :)
The necessary disclaimer and probably most pertinent reply first: I do not believe this is an LA issue, and should be hashed out between DMA, PA and (to some degree) TA. I believe I have shown some restraint in exercising my veto authority so if a reasonable rule was in place that ensured ALFA core values were maintained I would stay out of this issue.

My thoughts on the matter are that I have personally stuck with a single PC, partly because I enjoy the freedom to travel without additional considerations and compartmentalising my head, partly because I lack the time to develop more characters to the extent I would find satisfying, and partly because I believe that it's good behaviour for an Admin to stay out of the way of possible issues arising from it.

I can see the upside from increasing possible engagement and creating a few more dynamics with an existing player pool, though I am doubtful that it would truly play to ALFA's core strength as a campaign and am unsure that the current situation, which is also pretty lax, provides a hurdle to fun or access - but, if people feel it would increase their enjoyment, I see no issue with trying it out.

Cheers,
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

And Veilan wins the vote of confidence! congrats eh.
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Poor sap; someone give him a break already.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Thank you for your confidence in my continued ability to dodge work efficiently govern.

Kidding aside, I do appreciate the support and wish I could play a more active role. Please do not be shy to contact me if you can and have what it takes to LA.

Cheers,