Baldur's Gate Call to Adventurers

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Tamlin
Shambling Zombie

Baldur's Gate Call to Adventurers

Post by Tamlin »

February 14

First Meeting with Rena

Present: Arok, Brok (deceased), Connie, Reiha

Met Rena and was hired to get some velvets that were stolen by a smuggler. Returned successful.
Spoiler:
[14:48] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] <C=pink>*She then turns toward the watersoul.*</c> It's a fairly simple offer, I need you to reclaim some stolen goods for me. Their value is more sentimental than mercantile, but they are not without value, so do take care that your muscle doesn't break them.
[15:02] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] <C=PINK>*She looks at the oversized chair to her left.*</C> That thing is ridiculous. <C=Pink>*She snickers.*</c> Now then, the matter is simple. A smuggler is rather brazenly transporting a shipment of Waterdhavian velvet south on the Tradeway and appears to be headed toward Amn to sell it. He's posing as a merchant and has hired some of the Flaming Fist to be his guards.
[15:04] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] He may also have forged documents, certifying the legitimacy of his shipment. I need to return that shipment to its rightful owner and, if he does have a forged bill of lading, I need that bill of lading to investigate it.
[15:06] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Return the velvets to me, and I'll pay two hundred fifty gold. If he has forged documents, I'll pay an additional three hundred gold. Split it however you wish. If the goods are damaged, I dock your pay commensurate with the damage.
[15:12] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] A charming name for a charming young lady, Reiha. And you? <C=PINK>*She looks to the bald genasi.*</C> Aye, that's right, you'll find the wagon south of the gate. The teamster is a gnome, of all things. There are two Flaming Fist serving as guards. The smuggler is a balding man with three fingers on his left hand; it's hard to miss him.

. . . [ Party found the team with the velvet. After failed negotiations fighting ensued. Brok died. Guards, teamster, and smuggler were killed. Velvet secured]

[17:50] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] <C=PINK>*She nods, then rises from her seat to look over the bolts of cloth and takes the bill of lading from the desk.*</C>
[17:51] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Well done. All of the cloth is recovered, undamaged, and the forged bill of lading as evidence. Excellent. Your payment, as promised. <C=PINK>*She smiles and hands the coin over to Reiha.*</C>
[17:55] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Indeed, I may have other work for you. Leave message for me with the innkeep downstairs if you are looking for work. If I have any available, then he will inform me and I will seek you out.
Last edited by Tamlin on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea."
-Tommy Douglas, probably about gnomes
Tamlin
Shambling Zombie

Re: Baldur's Gate Call to Adventurers

Post by Tamlin »

March 07

Second meeting with Rena.

Present: Arok, Connie, Reiha, Anvira

Crew were hired to find a black lily topped staff and bring it back to Rena. Bought some cloth to wrap it in upon return. Found the location of the staff but were unable to recover it.
Spoiler:
[16:19] Rena: [Talk] Why, I am here as an employer. I have work that needs doing and the coin to pay for such. You are here for want of coin. As such, I have another offer of employ.
[16:20] Rena: [Talk] The pay is five hundred eagles each (Reiha, Arok, Connie, Anvira). The job is the recovery of ill-gotten goods.
[16:22] Rena: [Talk] *She smiles.* Good. A woman who appears to have some association with both The Iron Throne as well as the temple to the Bitch Queen in this city has acquired a staff with an antiqued silver head in the shape of a lily. Such gains were ill-gotten, as previously stated. The staff is singular in nature and appearance. Bring it, wrapped in cloth or otherwise disguised, to me and receive your pay.
[16:23] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] Do we have more information on this woman? A name? What she looks like perhaps?
[16:23] Rena: [Talk] We do not; such is for you to gather.

. . . [In the temple of Umberlee]

[17:13] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] *The blonde woman who emerges from the heavy stone double doors below bears the a pendant featuring a blue-green wave curling left and right, fashioned from some form of precious stone and hanging from a silver or perhaps platinum chain around her neck. Although not particularly strong looking, the set of her jaw is firm and the woman would be stunningly attractive, if not for the stern frown and the imposing air of authority in which she moves, and speaks. Her voice is rich, a low alto, and for a moment, almost sounds as if the waves breaking on the shore as it echoes from the walls.* Who is it that calls upon me not by name but rather, by object?
[17:37] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] *Behind the altar and amongst the pile of treasures at the base of the statue to Umberlee is the staff in question. It is Quarterstaff of dark wood that looks to be either polished ebony or dyed to look as such. It has a silver head in the form of a lily which has been antiqued to be black like the staff, standing out from the relief of polished silver around it.*
[17:54] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] I would see you as my acolyte, daughter of waves, and be pleased to welcome you to the ranks of the Undrowned. However, that staff is not mine to give, but the Bitch Queen's herself. You ask for far more than you know, and if you had asked in any way other than the way that you asked, I would have happily drained your blood on this altar for such. Let me tell you about that staff, and the woman who offered it, and then you will understand.
[17:57] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] A ship is late in return, a ship laden with valuable herbs from afar. The captain of that ship is known to be tight with his coin and likely gave a minimal tithe to the Bitch Queen. The captains <I>wife</I>, who lives here, serves another power, a power often associated with the Black Lily that adorns the head of that staff. She is a priestess in her own right and of a deity who is, at times, an ally of she who I serve. That staff is her staff of office, a religious relic, which she tithed in the hopes that her husband and his precious cargo return to this city, and that they are delayed, and not drowned.
[17:57] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] So you see, that staff is a holy relic of another faith, given freely to the Bitch Queen herself by a priestess, no less, and now it comes to this temple and to my goddess to keep.
[17:58] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] It is not mine to give, but <I>perhaps</I> the Queen of Depths would see fit to bestow it upon you for service to her, in time. Who can say?
[18:01] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] One never knows, daughter of the waves, who is of good or ill intentions. Perhaps before you speak to your employer, you return to speak to me of your employer yourself.
Tamlin
Shambling Zombie

Post by Tamlin »

March 21

Continuation of Last Session

Present: Arok, Connie, Reiha, Blinky, Craganvil

Spoke to Rena about what we learned. Found out more about the staff and the faith involved, it being a staff of a priestess of Talona who tithed it to keep her stingy husband from being drowned. Her husband is the captain of the Shapely Sprite and the boat has yet to return safely. Staff still hasn't been secured.

Plan for next week: Reiha and Connie discussed going to the Iron Throne to try and find the original owner of the staff and learn more about them.
Spoiler:
At the temple of Umberlee

[14:21] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] My acolyte told me that you had arrived and so I have made time for you.
[14:22] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] So the staff came to the temple of Umberlee from another priestess as a tithe to ensure her husbands safe return home, is that correct?
[14:22] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] That is correct.
[14:24] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] Just before I returned to my employer to inform them that the staff is not ours to take - who exactly does that priestess worship. My companion Reiha claimed she was known as the "Lady of Poison" and you said they were a companion of Umberlee but that's not a deity I'm familiar with
[14:27] <c=#fffaaa>Priestess Sharlune</c>: [Talk] *The blonde woman chuckles softly.* The Lady of Poison is otherwise known as The Plague-Crone, the Mother of all Plagues, and the Mistress of Disease. I will not speak her proper name in this place dedicated to the Water Queen, but at times, the two powers find themselves on common ground.

. . . Rena

[15:02] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] *smiles* Miss Rena we found the item you are seeking but we, we have some news about it
[15:03] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] *looks to Connie* It seems that it is a gift to the temple
[15:04] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Locating it is a step. What news have you, Reiha?
[15:04] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] It seems that it was given to the temple as a gift
[15:04] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] Moreso than that, it seems it was given by a priestess of the Plague Queen, to the temple of Umberlee and currently resides in their stash, under the watchful eye of the Queen of Storms herself
[15:05] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] *looks at Ms. Rena and bows from her waist* I'm sorry we were not able to do as you requested
[15:06] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *The woman appears to have altered her hairstyle quite significantly since last she met with the party. It certainly looks better on her, but otherwise, she seems the same. She smiles patiently and then nods.* It is a delicate situation, which is precisely why I hired you. Both you and Connie seem well-suited for such delicate negotiations with the folk involved.
[15:08] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] *Intertwines her fingers together and leans in closer* You're still intent on getting the staff?
[15:08] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] And yes, it seems that you have sussed out the faiths of those involved. Yes, I should like very much to have the silver staff of the Talontar.
[15:09] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] I thought you said it was stolen or misplaced or something of that sort?
[15:09] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] The priestesses story does not paint it that way
[15:10] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] It is. The staff is the badge of office of a priestess of the Lady of Poison and now it is in the possession of the Bitch Queen. Is that not misplaced?
[15:11] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Sure, it's a gift, a sacrifice even. Such is the way of the House of the Water Queen here. Do you know the circumstances of the gift?
[15:13] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] She stated that a priestess of Talona gave it to ensure the safe return of her husband who was shipping spices, but stubbornly refused to give the proper Tithe to Umberlee
[15:13] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] She gave it in hopes her husband returns home without being drowned
[15:14] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *She then pauses at Connie's further explanation.* Ah, I see. I wonder if the stingy man has had his safe return yet?
[15:15] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] That. . . is a good question. If the man returns it could be that the priestess of Talona will take her staff back. Then would simply be the matter of securing it from her,
[15:16] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] *looks to connie* If he returned safely I think the temple would want to keep it
[15:16] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] But if he did not, they may relent
[15:17] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Perhaps, but if it was so simple, would I have hired a charming world traveler and a water-gifted woman to recover the staff from the Dread Wavemistress?
[15:17] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] *clicks tongue as she thinks*
[15:18] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] As I said, it is a <I>delicate</I> situation. You seem to have done well gathering the details of the situation thus far.
[15:18] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] *bows slightly with her head* Miss Connie has seen it and knows where it is too
[15:20] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] That is true. . . but it's not a simple matter of stealing it. We would have to charm or lie it to get it from them. Even offering my services as an acolyte was not enough to get them to relinquish the staff to me. . .
[15:20] [Tamlin] Connie: [Talk] Hm
[15:20] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] *looks to Connie* I think Miss Connie and I have some things to discuss. Thank you for your time today Miss Rena. *bows from her waist looking toward the floor*
[15:22] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *She smiles warmly and nods.* It is always a pleasure to speak with you, Reiha. I wish you both good fortune in your work. Return to me as needed and I shall make time for you, provided the boar-face remains on exterior guard duty.
[15:22] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Talk] *bows with her head* Thank you

. . . Harbourmaster

[15:43] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] Are you the harbourmaster? We have an inquiry to make about a ship that we're hoping has come in
[15:47] <c=#fffaaa>Sillius</c>: [Talk] Yes, yes, that be me. What ship'r ye lookin' for?
[15:47] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] We're just told to ask if a ship delivering herbs with a particularly stingy captain has arrived in port recently
[15:52] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] Hmm the captain was delayed, his wife is a priestess, possibly a healer, he gave a minimal tithe to Umberlee
[15:53] <c=#fffaaa>Sillius</c>: [Talk] Oh, <I>that</I>. Oh yeah, I 'eard rumor o' that ship bein' delayed on account o' storms 'r some such. Word on the docks is the cap'n o' the <I>Shapely Sprite</I> set 'er sails t' outrun th' storm an' appeared t' be doin' so, leastwise, last anyone saw 'o 'er.
[15:54] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] Ah, thank you, so hasn't returned yet
[15:54] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] Shapely sprite
[15:54] <c=#fffaaa>Sillius</c>: [Talk] Nay, lass, she's not come in yet, so she was likely blow'd off course, 'r lost at sea. Only the Bitch Queen knows now.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Thanks for the updates!
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Tamlin
Shambling Zombie

Post by Tamlin »

April 22

Present: Arok, Connie, Reiha, Craganvil, Anvira
Spoiler:
Went to the Iron Throne to inquire about the priestess of Talona who owned the staff. We were given no information and were unable to find her. Failing this we went to the temple of Umberlee. Spoke to the Priestess Sharlune of Umberlee to "prove ourselves" in a bid to get the staff. She asked us to get a tithe from a group of Illuskans that were in port. Negotiations were unsuccessful, and Arok was thrown in jail and forced to pay a fine for illegally entering the room of the head of the Illuskans, a Jarl. Found they are worshippers of Valkur, Captain of the Waves, and immortal enemy to Umberlee and would not be persuaded to give their tithe. Some of them only speak Illuskan, required a translator. Reported our failure to the temple of Umberlee.
Last edited by Tamlin on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamlin
Shambling Zombie

Post by Tamlin »

April 30

Present: Connie
Spoiler:
Connie entered the temple of Umberlee alone and returned, looking the same, but strangely different. She emerged wearing a holy symbol of Umberlee, carrying a bundle wrapped in her travelling cloak.
Tamlin
Shambling Zombie

Post by Tamlin »

May 16

Present: Connie, Reiha, Anvira, Arok, Craganvil

Gave the staff to Rena and got paid. Rena offered the party more employment intercepting smugglers. Given some time to plan.

((Chatlog of session. Most important information is bolded))
Spoiler:
Chat has been edited for length and clarity
[13:18] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] *She takes out a bundle of cloth and lays it across her knees, untying it to reveal a beautiful silver staff with the head of a lily*
[13:22] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *She looks over the silver staff curiously and then smiles.* I see that you have recovered the requested object.
[13:22] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] We have, finally. Thanks for your patience
[13:22] [N42] Anvira Amberhand: [Party] *nods* Indeed. Connie deserves most of the credit.
[13:23] [N42] Anvira Amberhand: [Party] For the retrieval that is.
[13:23] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Party] *nods*
[13:23] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] <I>Of note, the staff is made of blackened wood chased with silver and the silver is antiqued in many areas to be blackened as well, leaving only some engravings visible. The prominent engraving is an inverted triangle with three small pieces of amber below it, as if dripping.</I>
[13:25] [N42] Anvira Amberhand: [Party] *looks between Rena and the staff* Say Rena, why did you say you wanted this staff in the first place.
[13:25] [N42] Anvira Amberhand: [Party] It looks to be quite powerful. And is certainly beautiful. But it doesn't seem quite your...style...
[13:26] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *The woman steps forward and reaches out a gloved hand to take the staff, looking it over carefully. Once satisfied, she moves to the book-case and leans it there against the left side of the case.*
[13:27] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *After placing the staff upright against the bookcase, she turns to Anvira and nods.* Just as you have tasks to do, so to do I. As you will be paid for your part in recovering the staff, so too will I benefit from its return.
ise looking at the others*
[13:29] [N42] Anvira Amberhand: [Party] Though I must ask one more question. Is there someone in this city capable of weilding such an artifact?
[13:32] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *She looks over at the staff curiously for a time and th en looks back to Anvira, similarly curious. There is a long delay before Rena speaks once more.* There is, of course, the woman who gave it up obviously used it. However, it is bound for another city and will not remain here for long.
[13:37] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *She returns her gaze to Anvira, looking over the small woman quietly for a time and then nods.* Yes, there is the matter of your pay.
[13:41] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Hrm, I believe that this should suffice for you to share as you see fit. *The woman smiles and places a sack of gold into Reiha's hands, despite it being Connie who had carried the staff.* I have other work for you all if you are interested.
[13:41] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Party] *takes the bag and bows from her waist* Thank you Miss Rena
[13:42] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] What is the work this time?
[13:44] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] There is a shipment of goods being smuggled into the city by way of a road east of the crossing to the south along the tradeway. I <I>believe</I> it should be coming in on the Lion's Crossing, but it could be the Uldoon Crossing as well. As I am sure that you are all well-aware, tariffs are important to the city, and the avoidance of such tariffs is to be discouraged.
[13:45] [merado_1] Kaxanar Dunam Craganvil: [Party] So .... these smugglers be law breakers?
[13:45] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] The cargo must be intercepted prior to it coming onto the Tradeway so that it can be redirected appropriately.
[13:45] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] *She smiles at the dwarf.* Just so.
[13:45] [merado_1] Kaxanar Dunam Craganvil: [Party] *nods seemingly satisfied*
[13:46] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Party] What kind of goods are they Miss Rena?
[13:46] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] Is it coming today?
[13:46] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] You will know the cargo, but perhaps not the merchant wagons, it by the mark that the cargo bears, a crescent moon as if a caricature of a smiling face, with a triangle inset with an eye above the crescent.
[13:47] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Intercept this cargo before it makes it onto the Tradeway. How you deal with the teamsters, drovers, and any guards that the cargo has is at your discretion, so long as you handle things before they make it to the tradeway.
[13:47] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] It is not coming today; it is due to arrive sometime between a few days and a tenday from now.
[13:49] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Intercept and take possession of the cargo, conceal or guard its location so that it cannot be stolen, and return to me with the location that you are holding it. The reward will be three thousand gold if you recover all of the cargo successfully without damage; damage the cargo, and there is no reward.
[13:49] [erisa] Reiha Matsui: [Party] *bites lip* Do we know what kind of cargo it is?
[13:50] [Tamlin] Connie: [Party] *catches her jaw dropping at the mention of that large of a reward* We're in
[13:50] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] It is delicate and fragile cargo in crates bearing the symbol that I described. Opening the crates will damage the cargo; see that you do not do so.
[13:55] <c=#fffaaa>Rena</c>: [Talk] Good, it's settled. You have some legwork to do, a tusk-face to remove from this fine establishment, and diamonds to spend. *She smirks at Connie, winks at Reiha, then turns toward Anvira.* I've a matter to discuss with you, if you will remain behind while the others depart.
[13:55] [N42] Anvira Amberhand: [Party] Very well.

((OOC Instructions from Shadowfax))
Spoiler:
((Message from Shadowfax at the end of the session: "Feel free to let me know via Discord how the party intends to approach this. One of you can also dump a chatlog of the party's conversation on that plan to me in discord, and I can evaluate it and come up with a scenario for next weekend. (can also provide some XP commensurate with the RP and work therein"))