The lore of wyrms

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

The lore of wyrms

Post by Ithildur »

The tall gold haired Elf nodded with satisfaction as he exited his last destination, the Angel Feather Inn. Word had been left at various inns and taverns in Beregost and the Gate as well, that an Elf sought audience with an eyepatch wearing dwarf bearing a rather striking name, Bozwell Dragonheart of clan Blackstone

Aglaril looked up the stairs towards the gate of the impressive temple, pondering for a while with his leather-bound journal in hand. Slowly he began to ascend the steps, hoping that Teresa was home and available for a few hours.

((BG DMs, I'd like to request some ruling on how much knowledge about dragons can be gleaned IC from taking notes with Bozwell and Tess; both PCs apparently have a fair amount of knowledge and/or experience with dragons and seem willing to share it. Aglaril does have knowledge ranks in Arcana but it's not nearly extensive enough to have access to the majority of info readily available to players.

Also, there was an NPC expert on dragon lore living in the Sword Coast region mentioned ingame to Aglaril about a year ago; I think HEEGZ put out this tidbit. If there's avenues/interest in picking this up I'd be quite interested. If time is an issue then maybe some skillchecks could be used to resolve things speedily/off camera, though it'd be nice to have another PC help with the rolls))
Last edited by Ithildur on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Re: The lore of wyrms

Post by kiyoti »

Boz gets word and makes his way back to the Angle Feather Inn. He'd not forgotten the elf from before and looked foward to a meeting with a fellow scholar on the topic of dragons.

((Boz has a few books that have a bonus to knowledge on the topic. Might be handy for a group lore session.))

I can try and be on later tonight after I handle some things on tsm. If not tonight i can be on most nights after 10pm EST.
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Gamespy: BigDaddyBones
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((posted at the request of DM, recap/log slightly edited for clarity))

Aglaril Shaelara: *inclines his head crisply to the woman and enters*
Bozwell Blackstone: my thanks *goes in*
Horatio: *q to thais* Don't you think, that you would be best to speak to the gentle, as you are yourself?
Aliyah: *smiles at the woman and steps inside*
Aliyah: Ye be .. single?
Aliyah: Ye like girls?
Bozwell Blackstone: you havent changed *smirks at Layal
Toby Menzer: *sighs*
Aglaril Shaelara: *sighs and reaches for his flask*
Tha'is: i will be along please go ahead
Kata Joradotter: *pulls back her hood*
Aliyah: *helps Horatio in*
Aglaril Shaelara: *takes a single swig and puts away the flask*
Kata Joradotter: *looks about*
Toby Menzer: *looks on curiously*
Kata Joradotter: greetings
Rhyndalin: Hail, and well met. I am Rhyndalin. *she casts about at you all, expectantly.*
Aglaril Shaelara: *wipes his mouth, putting the flask away and inclines his head to the woman* Thank you for welcoming us to your home. You must be...?
Aglaril Shaelara: Ah, of course.
Kata Joradotter: I be Kata
Bozwell Blackstone: our thanks good lady. is the lord of the manor about?
Rhyndalin: My home? *she laughs lightly, and gaily* It belongs to one of much greater import than I.
Rhyndalin: And what might be your name, master dwarf?
Aglaril Shaelara: *tilts his head slightly* Greater import...
Toby Menzer: *observes the woman*
Aliyah: *looks about*
Kata Joradotter: *watches layla wander off*
Aliyah: *picks up a spoon, examines it for a moment*
Bozwell Blackstone: Bozwell the Dragonheart of clan Blackstone
Aglaril Shaelara: Sage Velsaert, I presume you mean? Is he... *blinks, watches Layla*
Rhyndalin: A pleasure. *to Bozwell.* And your companions? *she holds Aglaril's gaze, but refrains from answering for the moment*
Aliyah: Oh, I be Amira.
Aliyah: is a pleasure, boo'ful.
Aglaril Shaelara: *drily* She of the unfettered curiosity. I am Aglaril of House Shaelara.
Horatio: *looks bout, noticing the architecture, he starts to get a little unnerved looking, he walks to the door, and tries the catch, making sure it is not locked.*
Bozwell Blackstone: *motions to Ag* this is Agliril, a fellow scholar on dragons. Kata to his left
Toby Menzer: *continues to look on quietly*
Rhyndalin: Welcome Amira. I am pleased you have taken an interest in the silver. We seldom have guests to admire their beauty. *she smiles genuinely*
Bozwell Blackstone: toby and Horatio
Aliyah: It IS silver then? Aye, me though' so.
Kata Joradotter: *nods*
Aliyah: *slips a spoon into her satchel*
Aglaril Shaelara: *looks back to Rhyndalin wonderingly*
Horatio: *leans on the door frame, and fidgets, eventually putting on his gloves*
Bozwell Blackstone: would you be so kind as to tell the lord we seek an audience with him. *warm smile*
Rhyndalin: An audience? Certainly. Though I must warn you. . .
Bozwell Blackstone: hm?
Rhyndalin: He is writing and seldom takes visitors these days.
Kata Joradotter: *looks to her*
Kata Joradotter: we wanna talk to him about Dragons
Aglaril Shaelara: *nods* I see. Then all the more reason for us to be grateful for his time... and any insight he might wish to share with us.
Aliyah: *pulls out a baguette, tears off a small chunk, nibbles on it*
Rhyndalin: You will hear more than your heart desires, if such is the case, and he is willing.
Rhyndalin: Very well. Please warm yourselves by the fire. . . *trails off a moment*
Rhyndalin: . . . And help yourselves to the kitchen if you hunger or thirst. *graciously, and then departs to the far door.*
Bozwell Blackstone: *sets down pack. sits down in the rocking chair*
Aglaril Shaelara: *lofts a brow slightly, but inclines his head in a slight bow*
Toby Menzer: *briefly looks around*
Horatio: *looks nervous, almost like a caged animal*
Toby Menzer: something wrong Horatio?
Aglaril Shaelara: Well, at least the man seems to be alive and hale
Horatio: *breaths a sigh of relief when the woman returns through the door, alone.*
Aliyah: *examines the chest*
Rhyndalin: He would be willing to meet with you, on a condition.
Aglaril Shaelara: Which is?
Rhyndalin: A small token, a sign of friendship.
Kata Joradotter: such as ?
Aglaril Shaelara: *nods* A reasonable... request I suppose, depending on the particulars.
Rhyndalin: You must forgive his old age, but he was quite particular.
Rhyndalin: An ounce of silver.
Horatio: Done
Aglaril Shaelara: *lofts a brow at that* Silver?
Rhyndalin: Aye.
Kata Joradotter: from each of us or in total?
Aliyah: Oh ayuh? Odd request tha'. Me thin's there be a spell er somethin' behin' tha'.
Aglaril Shaelara: *nods, starts to reach for a few silver coins*
Rhyndalin: *she waves a dismissive hand at Horatio's offering.* Nae good sir.
Aglaril Shaelara: *pauses, looks to Rhyndalin*
Rhyndalin: In particular, he, well, he requested the silver not in coin, but. . .
Horatio: Come again? Tymoran silver is as pure any.
Rhyndalin: In the comely trappings of a spoon. *she smiles diplomatically.*
Aliyah: *smiles*
Aliyah: Oh ayuh?
Aliyah: I jes' 'appen to 'ave one.
Aglaril Shaelara: An odd request. *tilts his head* I'm unsure whether any of us... *pauses*
Aliyah: *pulls out the spoon*
Rhyndalin: Oh? *she brightens a bit, surprised.*
Aliyah: 'Ow lucky is tha' ay?
Aglaril Shaelara: Huh. That's quite convenient indeed. Well done
Aliyah: *hands the spook to Rhyn*
Horatio: *checks the door again, to make sure it's not locked.*
Aliyah: Serendipitous me guess.
Rhyndalin: In that case, you may take it to him, as he will see you now. *she proceeds to open the door when she sees Amira's spoon, but does not take it. *
Aliyah: Oh, ayuh?
Aliyah: Alright.
Rhyndalin: *she curtseys to any who enter*
Toby Menzer: all of us?
Aliyah: *puts spoon in left hand, moves right hand under her cloak to her back*
Bozwell Blackstone: *stands. collects his pack*
Aglaril Shaelara: *smiles to Amira/Alaya* You really have mended your ways it seems.
Toby Menzer: *looks around the group*
Horatio: I'll wait here, Layla.. you might want to come back with me.
Aliyah: *holds up the spoon* Ye requested price.
Aliyah: *slight smile*
Toby Menzer: *hangs back by the wall, looks at Kata a moment*
Velsaert: *lays down a quill on some parchment, then slowly rises, his chair creaking with the effort*
Aglaril Shaelara: *looks to the man silently for a while*
Toby Menzer: *speaks quietly To Kata then returns to hanging back*
Kata Joradotter: *says nothing and ignores him*
Velsaert: *as he stands, stooped, he reaches for a staff propped against the desk. it features the head motif of a dragon, and he rights himself properly as he weighs himself upon it.*
Velsaert: *ignoring the others, he looks to Amira and holds forth a pale silvery-white hand.* I believe you have something of mine?
Aliyah: *is holding the spoon up*
Aliyah: Aye.
Aglaril Shaelara: *arches a single golden brow*
Bozwell Blackstone: greetings Master Velsaert, its an honor to meet....*looks over at Layla*
Velsaert: *accepts it, and deftly pockets it within his robes.*
Aliyah: Ye've a sharp eye fer a man wit 'is back to me an behin' a wall an' all.
Kata Joradotter: *frowns*
Aglaril Shaelara: *silently watches the exchange, the raised brow remaining aloft*
Velsaert: *he meets her gaze, and his eyes blaze as with a silver fire, glinting and gleaming as he smiles at Amira.* A wizened old man may perhaps, know more than he lets on. *smiles*
Aliyah: Oh .. ye be ne man at all.
Toby Menzer: *looks on*
Aliyah: I can see yer eyes, ye ol' sneaky wyrm.
Velsaert: Now you speak my language. Come now, what is your name young one?
Bozwell Blackstone: *at that he stares harder to Vel*
Aliyah: Ami..ah .. feck it .. I be ((<redacted>))
Kata Joradotter: *steps back*
Horatio: *looks around the door at her using her name like that.*
Aglaril Shaelara: *looks on in silence*
Horatio: Yni, Un goraizi undr.
Velsaert: *he takes a long inhalation and nods slowly* A name that shall never be forgotten, by those present I presume. *he lowers his hood and winks to Horatio, without*
Aliyah: Eraty rayzi Un tyy emy ziichch.
Bozwell Blackstone: rayzi drniunrakmy EHuI kidrdrunrak unradrhuimyunrak
Kata Joradotter: *looks between them frowning*
Aliyah: Ray ywwiramyi epoyondr drnii mybayyra. Vionmydr drimydrunrak niyzi drunknidr drniunrakmy ziihui.
Aliyah: Raydrniunrak baihumyyraech.
Toby Menzer: *speaks quietly to Kata*
Bozwell Blackstone: might as well get to the point eh?
Velsaert: *he beckons Horatio within* Come good sir, I would know all of your names.
Velsaert: I trust you know that I am a sage of some note, Velsaert. *he nods to himself.*
Aglaril Shaelara: *looks to Kata* There seems to be a few secrets that seem to be unveiling before us now.
Horatio: *takes a deep breath, as one might summoning courage and steps into the doorframe, but not fully within.*
Bozwell Blackstone: *inclines head* Bozwell Dragonheart of clan Blackstone.
Bozwell Blackstone: we might have a bit in common sir
Aglaril Shaelara: *turns his attention back to Velsaert, still silent other than his words to Kata*
Aglaril Shaelara: *takes a deep breath*
Kata Joradotter: *nods towards Aglaril*
Aglaril Shaelara: *exhales slowly*
Velsaert: I greet you most truly Bozwell, draco-heart, of Clan Blackstone. *he inclines his head, in a nobleman's fashion.*
Horatio: If you would have it, I'm sure you already do... *he bows and speaks clearly after in another language.*
Bozwell Blackstone: *returns the gesture*
Horatio: Ee oi AlNoAAl eRennnnzeemaoNhzee, Rlm lull EAeAlN, Rlm lull NoENzeemezee eRennnnzeem, lull eReAncoAnno.
Velsaert: I greet you, Horatio, of Athkatla. Be at peace. *he nods*
Horatio: *nods*

((and the adventure continues... IC posts to follow!))
Last edited by Ithildur on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

*Kata stands near the door, her heart rate speeding up when Layla infers that Velsaert is a Dragon, as she looks to the others in turn. Seeing they are all guarded yet polite. She works up her courage and takes a small step forward after Horatio is finished speaking*

" I am Kata Daughter of Jora ." *inclines her head in a manner of deference*
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

Horatio steps aside, and beckons to Tha'is to come all the way in and introduce herself saying
"Dove... look up from your book. You don't want to miss this opportunity, to introduce yourself m'lady, in person, to a dragon."
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Aglaril breaks his silence at last after Kara introduces herself, greeting the sage with a (for him) rare formal bow in the manner of Elves, with arms extended out to his sides, palms open and upward.

"Alae... fortunate meeting Velsaert, sage of Dragonlore; many thanks for your hospitality, for kind and... *looks to Alaya briefly* merciful indulgence of our interruption. I am Aglaril of House Shaelara, a Bladesinger warrior and mage, formerly of Evermeet and Silverymoon. I, with my companions here, seek insight into the lore of Dragons."

"I must admit I come with many questions; and after seeing what I've seen, hearing what I've heard this day, my questions only multiply in my head. But I shall wait until introductions are completed."

The Elf continues to regard Velsaert wonderingly.
Last edited by Ithildur on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

After returning the noble like inclination of his head from the sage, Boz looks up into his eyes.

"Many thanks lore master for meeting with us. While the others may be quick to judge you a dragon, I myself wonder if you are perhaps more like myself? Kin of the Silver as I am Gold. If you are a full dragon my deepest apologies if I have offened. We have many question, perhaps another time we could sit together and speak more on the topic?"
Last edited by kiyoti on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Muse
Ice Queen of ALFA

Post by Muse »

The dark haired woman enters nearly tripping over the entry way, as she has her nose buried in a book. Hearing Horatio, speak to her she looks up with wide eyes bewilderment on her features as she was clearly not paying attention to her surroundings.
She looks over the man a sweet smile on her lips.
‘I am Tha’is a humble dancer. Some insist on using Lady, but such formality seems small in comparison to you. That is if you are in fact what you are charged with being.’
Her smile becomes more conspiratorial, as she murmurs something in draconic, and follows it with a wink of her large dark eye.

(pm me for translation if you speak and want to know what she said)
M

As your attorney, I advise you to tell me where you put the goddamn mescaline.
-hst duh

<Mikayla> I think Muse's sin is not sloth, however, but Wrath.
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

After the others give their introductions, Toby nervously waves slightly and says the following " Greetings, I am....uh...Toby Menzer *swallows* master mage and scholar" He then returns to just hanging back in the rear of the room.
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

Two questions that come to mind.
First, why is the Red so keen on the woods? It appears to have killed or chased out the greens. I was under the impression reds dont normally take forests as territory?

Second, why would it halt its attack on the one known as Calil? Going so far as to spare the Master Elf here *motions to Ag* if it meant harming her.
PC

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Velsaert of Baldur's Gate
Renowned author and sage of dragonkind

*He greets each of the others in turn, Kata, Aglaril, Tha'is and Toby. Repeating their names and looking each in the eye. He listens to your comments and offers this.*
Velsaert wrote:I am in the middle of writing a great work. You will forgive me if I do not care to speak about myself with strangers such as yourselves. If you have any matter related to my profession, as a sage of some note and authorship in regards to dragonkind, then you would kindly address them to me now.
*He smiles and looks to Bozwell as he begins asking a couple of questions. He replies to the first.*
Velsaert wrote:I am not familiar with the particular dragon of which you speak, but perhaps this red variety was hunting forest creatures? The range of a dragon is quite large and can span the distance of many leagues and even across kingdom boundaries. Without more information, that is all of the illumination I can give in regards to a red dragon in the forest.
*After Bozwell's second question he comments.*
Velsaert wrote:While prone to violence, dragons rely as much on a fearsome reputation as they do seclusion, or ferocity in battle. Perhaps this one was intrigued, or has some other agenda. *he pauses, then adds* Perhaps he was already injured from a battle with one of the green dragons you mentioned?
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Aglaril furrows his brow as he nods.

"I would also surmise the creature found Calil intriguing, a pretty plaything for a time that he did not wish damaged by flame, perhaps before it's mood shifted and came to view her as a pretty morsel someday. For my part I had no wish to dwell deeply on what a Red dragon's motives regarding an Elf maiden were."

Aglaril goes on to describe the dragon's size as best as he can, then continues.

"My knowledge of your... of dragonkind has limits, but I have heard that one might guess at the age and the power of a dragon by clues such as their size, the strength of their breath weapons, their skill in battle, and their use of the Art?"

"I had a desperate and risky plan in mind to attempt to gauge the strength of this Blas Iwan, but for better or for worse it did not come to pass... though I may risk attempting it again should the opportunity present itself. But what would you guess might be the age and potency of this one based on what I described?"

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Velsaert wrote:Blas Iwan you say? It would intrigue me to know how you came by his name. . . And lived.
*He strides over to some scrolls and produces a large cylinder. Taking it to a lectern he unfurls it and announces.*
Velsaert wrote:Blas Iwan! A red dragon once of the hills not so far north of the Gate. Hmm, let's do the calculations here. . . By my reckoning he is now more than a century in age. Quite magnificent. I did not think he was intelligent enough to live into his adult years.
*he gives a smooth purring laugh at his last comment*
Velsaert wrote:There was a rumor about two decades ago that he had moved his lair further south and I have not heard anything of him since. If you are correct in your description of such a huge mass of body, and he is still alive, then he has grown quite powerful indeed. Particularly if he had to switch lairs due to an increase in his horde and power. As for potency, his fiery breath will easily consume all within thirty paces, and he is not a force to be trifled with.

Pray tell, where did you encounter him?
*At that he leans on the staff, with one hand seemingly absently stroking the skull mounted upon it.*
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Aglaril considers Velsaert's words before replying.
"I encountered Blas Iwan, or at least the red dragon claiming to be Blas Iwan, in the outskirts of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. I was with the Elf maiden Calil and for a while a halfling named Sora; our destination was a place that holds significance to followers of the Seldarine."

"We encountered hostile Blue Scaled kobolds and dispatched many that day. As the day slipped by Calil and I were on our way out of the Woods outskirts when we heard the sound of a large winged creature flying overhead and landing in the vicinity. We then encountered a few kobolds that wished to parley, summoning us to meet with their master, a 'master of Flames', who turned out to be the red dragon who named himself Blas Iwan."

"As for details of the encounter, I will say briefly that the dragon demanded two things of me in retribution for the loss of his minions: a magical trinket that I bore, and an oath of fealty for the length of one year. The former I was willing to surrender perhaps, but when he named the second demand I concluded that a confrontation was likely to occur either that day or another, especially when the dragon named me as 'Elf of Silverymoon' and spoke as if he had knowledge of me prior to the encounter."

"A desperate possibility formed in my mind at that moment: an improvised plan to measure the powers of the dragon before escaping using magical means, so that an informed plan of attack could be attempted at some point in the future. I hesitated however, guessing that one misstep, if the dragon was powerful enough, could mean death within seconds."

"My hesitation faded when it became clear the dragon took interest in Calil, bidding her to come closer. I made up my mind at that point that I would defy the dragon and risk my desperate plan, and bade Calil to seek cover behind a nearby rock. Words were exchanged, the dragon took to the air and prepared to use it's breath attack, and I prepared myself to dodge or endure the flames as best as I could with the aid of a magical ward."

"Calil however, unexpectedly did not seek cover, rather moving to stand close by me, to the displeasure of the dragon. In spite of her fear she stood her ground defying the threat and command of the dragon to move aside. In the end, the dragon took out it's wrath on a cluster of nearby kobold minions, roasting them with his breath, and flew away."
Aglaril takes a deep breath, the expression on his face slightly grim.
"That is my account, in summary. I might also add that this dragon, when I spoke of the rumor of green dragons that dwell in the Wood, replied with these words: 'The greens cower before my might and the blues of the sky fall to my claws'."

"I am unsure what to make of such words, whether they are empty boasts or whether there is truth to them. I am told that Teresa of Ruquel had defeated a blue dragon in recent months... which makes me wonder, if there is any truth to his boast, whether he may have schemed to have a rival defeated without himself lifting a claw."

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Aglaril shifts his weight a bit from one foot to the other, his emerald orbs eyeing the sage expectantly.