The lore of wyrms

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Re: The lore of wyrms

Post by HEEGZ »

Velsaer wrote:Indeed. Who can know the mind of a dragon? Brooding in it's lair. Soaring upon wing, seeing much. Perhaps he has slain others of his kind, I do not doubt it. In the present clime, anything can happen. Indeed, much shall soon come to pass that has long been forgotten. Events shall shake the world, and great upheaval already begins. What are the machinations of a few quibbling dragons such as these to the affairs of this world?
*At that he begins to sigh softly, and his eyes stare off faintly into the distance as he broods over his words.*
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

*Kata looks between the long winded elf and the loremaster*

Since you seem to know of this particular dragon . . . . .

Do you know if he has any weakness we can take advantage of ?
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

The long winded Elf raises a brow slightly at the sage's response. He then adds to Kata's query:

"A good question; I have many others as well, such as how fast they fly, how great his mastery of spells might be - in fact any information you can provide us as to the strengths and weaknesses of a dragon like this ... quibbling Red ... would be deeply appreciated."
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

While everyone talks, Layla pokes around the room, looking at the trinkets on the desk, flipping open a tome here and there, and ... carefully watching Velsaert out of the corner of her eye.
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

Horatio keeps near the entrance, for while this has been a sobering experience, he still carries much in the way of wine in his head. Though he'd heard the story, he still is taken aback by the idea of Calil facing down a dragon of any age without an ability to fight such things. He shakes his head then watches Layla, half certain she will try her luck again.
"Ser, I don't suppose you would have an idea of where the fallen blue's lair was, or where it is likely this grand red may lay his head? Seems to ne, from what I gather of the stories, the little blue fek...er, kobolds, used to worship and work for the blue. Might be his old lair, might just be the new lair of the red, no?
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

*Velsaert regards the recent line of questioning and furrows his brow. Walking to a bookcase, he opens a large volume and opens it to a two page spread revealing an artist's rendering of a large red dragon.*
Velsaert wrote:I trust your company realizes that taking on a dragon is no small undertaking. No matter what advice I might give, you must understand from the outset that combat with a dragon of this age will likely result in your untimely deaths. In any case, you seem determined to know about the weaknesses of dragons.

Dragons are vain and selfish creatures. Some more than others, but it is a feature not unique to the race of dragonkind. Your best hope for defeating such a one as this is to catch him in his own guile. A combat of arms, or mystic arts, is likely to lead to your demise. Of course, this is assuming you can reach him safely enough to begin to treat with him.

One sometimes hears rumors of blades and protections that are specifically designed to overcome the protections of a dragon. I have oft heard tales, or read manuscripts, where a dragon might have neglected seeing to its full defenses. This may take the form of a missing patch of scale from his coat. Perhaps an unknown entrance to its lair. Perhaps misplaced trust in some guardian or ward.

If you truly wish to tackle this dragon head on, then you will need to discover his lair or haunts. It is my belief you have discovered the latter already, in the forest where he spoke with one of you. Dragons hunt far and wide, and I would not be surprised if this one takes wing as far as Amn in search of food stuffs and treasure.

You may or may not know that dragons of the red scale will prefer to lair someplace very warm and hot. I have heard rumor about a decade ago that this one, Blas Iwan, had moved his lair from north of here, to someplace further south. More suitable to his stature, or girth, so to speak. If what you say is true, then I believe these rumors, and the dragon has likely moved his lair to the south, and dwells somewhere not too far off.
*At this he pauses and regards Layla and her examinations of his belongings. He addresses her directly.*
Velsaert wrote:When you are done examining my possessions, I have something of peculiar interest that I am certain will pique your curiosity. Perhaps when the others are done with their inquiries, you will remain behind? Hmmm?
*He turns towards Horatio and answers his question.*
Velsaert wrote:What you propose is highly unlikely. Should he have slain a blue dragon, he would have taken his hoard to his own lair. I am certain that the preference in lairs between these types are not compatible. Indeed, if you were to find such to be the case I would be quite keen to investigate myself. Such a thing is almost unheard of. . .

As for the location of the dragon's lair? Hmmm. I would guess that he has found some mountain or crevasse that that leads deep into the bowels of the earth. Perhaps you can find such a place. Maybe even a volcano? It could be dormant or active, and reachable upon the wing. You might have difficulty reaching it's lair, but flying is a trifling concern for such a magnificent beast.
*He takes a moment to stroke his chin and then addresses the group with concern dripping from his words.*
Velsaert wrote:It troubles me that this creature has seen fit to speak with you, and in return, you seem bent towards a path that leads to his destruction. I wonder what motivates your actions besides pure greed for his hoard? Perhaps there have been some attacks of which I am not aware? I caution you to proceed carefully, lest the dragon know of your plans before you find him, and you be routed or lost. What you are considering is not something to be undertaken without good reason.

And good preparations.
*Velsaert runs a hand across the page and stares down at the picture of the dragon drawing for a few minutes, leaning heavily upon his staff.*
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Aglaril's regards the sage evenly as he replies.
"Greed? Perhaps you assume too much, Velsaert. When I encountered the dragon the thought of finding it's hoard had not even crossed my mind."

"As for being troubled, I would suggest that the arrival of a powerful evil being, one that commands a horde of unusually resilient kobolds who swept across the countryside attacking and killing farmers and travelers, is in fact a matter of concern for those who give a whit of care for the greater good.

"Whether a confrontation in battle is imminent, desirable, or otherwise is a matter for debate certainly, but I could not in good conscience allow opportunity for the creature to treat an Elf maiden as a trinket, toy, or source of vile amusement. Nor would I willingly concede to any oath of fealty or agreement with such a creature, unless it was the only possible means of preventing greater harm. I may be, especially of late, a poor excuse for a Bladesinger, but a Bladesinger I am nonetheless. My days of being a craven coward are behind me some years; so help me Corellon, never in a thousand years would I consider either option as acceptable."

"As long as I draw breath and call myself Bladesinger I say that this Red Wyrm, if he continues to threaten or even toy with the honor or safety of an Elf, will have earned my enmity. If that is indeed what he wishes, then I will destroy him or die trying, whether the battle is joined tomorrow or a hundred years from this day, and whether I do so alone or in the company of others.

"Call me a fool or worse, if you will, but remember that the days of Dragonkind's dominance in Faerun was ended by the Elves, and we too, have long lives to scheme, plot, and plan before battle is finally joined."
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

*Grimaces suddenly at the mention of the elves of old. He then declares the following.*
Velsaert wrote:The power of the elven mythal of olde has been broken. Dragonkind even now grow more numerous across this realm entire. No more shall the mystic arts once so constricting enslave dragonkind to their lesser state.

Now, as before, an age of dragons dawns. The long forgotten lore of ancient days is coming to pass once more, though many do not see it, nor expect it. Even now, war is brewing. Fear not for yourselves, for this may be a war among dragons, and not targeted upon your kinds. Though doubtless there will be pawns, vassals, and collateral damage.
*He trails off and then strolls to a cabinet and opens it, removing a dusty and crumbling scroll.*
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA

Post by Mikayla »

Layla quirks an eyebrow as Velsaert addresses her, then responds:
Oh ayuh? I'd be 'appy te stay behin' an' see wha' tis ye' thin' I be int'rested in. Honor'd in fact. Ne'er 'ad much opportunity te speak wit' someone a' yer ... ah ... learnin' ... afore. Oh, a .. afore we get te tha' poin' in the evenin' though .. will I be leavin' alive? I ask cause if ne, there be a few trinkets o' me own I'd like te pass along first, ye know.
And with that, Layla returns to perusing the tomes and curiosities of Velsaert's abode, occasionally muttering to herself "ooh, tha' be righ' shiny" and "hmm, wonder wha' tha' would fetch in a market, yeah?"
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

*He assures her that she has no need to fear for her life, indicating that she is more likely to die upon the slippery cobbles beyond his villa, than within it. Velsaert produces the silver spoon and gives it an admiring gaze before returning to Layla, addressing her once more.*
Velsaert wrote:From what little I know of you, I believe we have quite a bit in common. But let us leave the matter until this other business is complete.
*He returns his gaze to the others, expectantly.*
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

Ill be the first to admit every scrap of information will be needed for dealing with this Red. Knowledge is power as we all know.
Ive another line of questions worth exploring.

You speak of a new rise of the dragons. Im apt to believe you as my old company the Knights Draconis were themselves involved with two warring wyrms, our patron a Bronze and a Black. Surely if reds, blacks, greens and blues are preparing for war there must also be golds, silvers, brass and like my friend Filigolos, bronzes doing the same. While ive a tome on the topic of Dragons of the Swordcoast, perhaps good Sage of Dragons, you may know of any good aligned dragons that we might ally ourselves with?
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Gamespy: BigDaddyBones
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

Also, this black dragon i spoke of, he was making an elixir that he used to create superior kobald soldiers. These blue scales weve come across that are so tough, could this red or the blue before it be doing the same?
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Gamespy: BigDaddyBones
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA

Post by Mikayla »

Layla nods to Velsaert, but says nothing further. She continues to occupy herself with Velsaert's collection while listening to the discussion.
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

Horatio stands by mostly silent... though he visibly relaxes when the assurance of safety in the home of the sage is given. He stands a little taller, less likely to bolt or dive for cover. He takes stock of everyone and everything around him while they talk. Not having chosen to be here, he wonders how he let himself be drug into such a thing as a war of dragons.... he poises as if about to ask a question, then thinks better and decides... later, maybe better to be sober first.
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Velsaert wrote:While there are many dragons whom dwell along the Sword Coast, I know of none that would have an immediate interest.
*At your mention of the elixirs, he rises in height and leans towards you.*
Velsaert wrote:What is this drought for dragonkind of which you speak? I would hear more of this tale; and of these Knights Draconis. It is a certainty that all of the events to which we have now spoken are related to the Turning of the Great Cycle, and the dawn of impending War.