Return to the Shadoweirs High Council

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 03 DM

McJoker
Shambling Zombie

Return to the Shadoweirs High Council

Post by McJoker »

Vel felt something approach him while he rested in Mielikki's Grove. Slowly moving his hand towards his scimitar, he risked a glance and spotted the wolf moving towards him.

Vel sat up slowly and smiled with a brief nod. “Good morning, sister wolf. Do you have need of Mielikki’s servant?” The wolf began to change into an elven form. “You are to return to the High Council immediately.” Vel suddenly realized whom he was speaking with. “Mother? Is everything alright?”

“All is well, salen E'Sum.”1 the druidess Sylstina replied. “I was asked to bring you to the High Council, so they might hear from you…and perhaps a bit more.” Vel was confused, as his mother generally did not do the Shadoweirs Council’s bidding, though she was an ally through his father as well as being a member of the Druids of Tall Trees.

“Why would they want to speak with me so soon?”, replied Vel, “I have yet to establish any consistent alliances, nor am I yet worthy of being named to the ranks of the Shadoweirs…”. “Vel’Gesir Ath’Selumista…” his mother growled “…you chose your path. Are you questioning your council’s reasoning and orders?” “Neh, O'Si.2 I…I am merely surprised, perhaps confused even. I was told the messages I was sending back were all the contact I would have until The Lady of the Forest provided me with a task to test my worthiness.” Vel paused. “Do I have time to let my friends here know…” “Neh. You will understand once we arrive.”

Vel nodded as he packed for travel and noticed that Ladyservant Tyrar had been observing everything. No surprise, as she was responsible for the grove. “Could you let Meeka and the others know, in case they ask?” Tathshandra Tyrar nodded. “May Mielikki guide your path, Vel.”

“Are you ready, salen E'Sum?” “Avavaen, O'Si.³” Sylstina took Vel by the hand and walked into one of the Shadowtop trees.

1: my son.
2: No, mother
³: Yes, mother
Insanity, another form of professionalism! - Myself
Mick
Beholder

Re: Return to the Shadoweirs High Council

Post by Mick »

Does this mean we will not be seeing Vel again? If so, please tell me you will have another persona joining us soon.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
McJoker
Shambling Zombie

Post by McJoker »

Vel paced back and forth in his hut. He had been back for a seven-day, and there was obviously much going on with the council, though he had yet to be called before the council. Why did they call him back so soon, what did they expect him to report on? Why were they taking their time to speak with him? Time he could be using to further Mielikki’s cause in Silverymoon and making new friends and allies.

Sreevith, a fellow Shadoweirs candidate, opened the door. “Vel, the council requests our presence.” he stated, with a friendly, yet seemingly knowing, smile. Vel made sure his attire was in order before stepping out the door and heading towards the grove. “Do you know why we were called back, Sreevith? Weren’t you headed to the Dalelands, where your ancestors…” Sreevith interrupted him with a hand-movement that meant silence. “Not entirely, Vel. But it has something to do with the Druids of the Trees and the Keeper of Shadowtop Cathedral.” “The Keeper is here?” Vel asked in surprise. “Neh, one his representatives though…or so my mother sai…” Sreevith trailed off and both were silent as they entered the grove of the High Council.

The council members were all present. Sreevith’s parents, Naladris, the High Councilor and Sen’Lui, the Te`Estiana1; Shalafi Taerven, the Shadoweir’s martial instructor, eldest of the Shadoweirs and second-highest ranking council member; Cermie A’Hailene, the Steward. Vel’s father, Darvin, a well-respected Needle of the Forest sat next to a treant, while his mother, Sylstina sat at the other end of the horseshoe shaped table, next to another druid, a human with golden hair and eyes.

There were three other Shadoweirs already standing before the council, their clothing looked disheveled, slightly torn, and bloodied. What was going on? Where were the other 3 candidates? “Ah, good. You have both arrived.” Naladris said “You may begin your report, Earalolad.”

Earalolad nodded. “High Council, honored guests, as you are surely aware by now, one of our outposts was attacked by Malarites.” Sen’Lui nodded grimly and now Vel noticed that she had also had marks of battle on her as well. “All Shadoweirs, including the three candidates assigned there, were slaughtered.” Some gasps could be heard from outside the grove, Vel and Sreevith briefly looked at each other in disbelief. “We were accompanying the Te`Estiana during her checking on and blessing of our Lady’s shrines when we heard sounds of combat. The Te`Estiana ordered us to go ahead and investigate, yet…” Earalolad shivered briefly “we were too late.” Sen’Lui gestured to the visibly shaken Shadoweirs that she would continue. “I arrived mere moments after my companions and we were lucky to survive. There was a werewolf with pitch black fur, sky blue eyes and of a size I have never seen before, leading at least twenty other werebeasts.” Naladris and the druids tilted their heads towards her. “Yes, he led more than just werewolves. As if he were Malar himself.” Sen’Lui’s face saddened. “A werebear came out of hiding to help us. Between Mielikki’s blessings, these brave Shadoweirs and that noble creature, we were able to slay quite a few. That beast though…” she shuddered “it tore through the werebear as if he were but a dry twig in the path of a raging boar. Then he just stopped, grinned at us as if satisfied with what he had done and left with what remained of his group.”

Vel felt a cold shiver down his spine. That outpost had at least six seasoned Shadoweirs, and the candidates were not mere pups.

Naladris turned his gaze to Vel and Sreevith. “Now you know that there are enemies actively hunting us. They know who we are and what we represent. You must both be wary and warn those you have befriended and allied yourselves with about this attack. The Druids of the Trees” he nodded towards them “have been most gracious to send Vaeros Fireshield along with Sylstina to assist us in preparing defenses for the village.” Naladris turned towards Darvin and the treant “The Needles and the Heartwood have pledged their help as well. Raunthar, if Turlang would be willing to aid in any way, we would be incredibly grateful.” “Turlang is aware” the treant rumbled in Sylvan “and will watch over your borders to his land as well. His eyes are still North though.” Naladris nodded, visibly relieved. “Once more, out thanks to all of you. Sreevith, Vel, you are to continue with your missions, yet be wary. Do not fight these creatures alone, do you both understand?” “Avavaen², High Councilor.” they both said, as if one voice.

“Good. Say your farewells and get some rest, you both return to your duties in the morning.”

1: High Priestess
²: Yes

OOC: Vel will have told any characters and NPCs that ask him where he has been, as well as key NPCs about the above
McJoker
Shambling Zombie

Post by McJoker »

OOC: The above is meant for both a bit of flavor and opportunity. All characters besides Vel are NPCs, though Sreevith Silva'Kyolin is open for anyone interested in trying the Shadoweirs concept by Eric L. Boyd (get DM approval first!). While Vel knows all Shadoweirs and would recognize the druid and possibly the treant, that's about it. The High Council will not actively get involved in his missions, the druid and treant may or may not recognize him and have their own priorities.

While they are a part of Vel's backstory, my intention is to provide the DMs with potential storylines for everyone...and yes, they have far more information on the individual NPCs intorduced,.

If anyone else is considering a half-elven ranger/cleric, ranger/cleric/rogue (unlikely, I know), or ranger/rogue build that worships Mielikki and would want to be tied in, feel free to contact the DMs or me for more information. Non half-elves wanting to become Shadoweirs will need DM approval.

Just a concept, however, at least for me, a fun one. :mrgreen: