Mouse cursor issues (Windows8 OS)

If you have any technical question about how to run NWN2, this is the forum you need.
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Mouse cursor issues (Windows8 OS)

Post by Wild Wombat »

I have the sliders in the Options/Graphics on the highest setting I can get them and still have have issues:

1) When I move the cursor to the edge of the screen, I can't get the view to rotate fast enough. This is especially bad in small rooms (the post office in BG is a good example) where it just creeps along.

2) The speed my cursor will move across the screen: meaning that I have to physically move the mouse left,right,up,down alot more than I would like to to get an appropriate amount of cursor movement on the screen (tracking?).

I don't rememeber anything like happening when I had the game installed with Windows XP years ago, so I am wondering if it is Windows8. Regardless of whether it is OS related, any suggestions?

FYI, I have a wireless mouse and I use a KVM switch too. But I did the same with XP. My guess is that switching to a wired mouse without KVM would make a difference on response time with mouse movements (which isn't a problem) and it might make a difference with the problems I have, but I was wondering if anybody had any other things to try since I would really like to avoid wires all over my desktop.

Thanks,

WW
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Re: Mouse cursor issues (Windows8 OS)

Post by wvincenti »

I've mapped a couple of the extra buttons on my mouse so I can rotate the camera with them as well.

-Bill
  • Currently NWN1 ALFA: Ryld Ky'bler
    Currently NWN2: Gwindor Faelivrin, still not actually dead!

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

I had mouse insensitivity issues in win8 as well (and not only nwn2). Putting the OS mouse sensitivity to maximum makes it ok, if a bit on the low end. Probably though there is a nwn2 ini file somewhere where you can adjust the sensitivity to (almost) any number, the slider just controls it within something that was deemed reasonable for some system back in the day when nwn2 came out. (And probably there is a win8 settings where you might edit in the same for the OS?)
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

Aha! Thanks T-ice.

There are settings in the Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\nwn2player.ini file.

There are three titles for the modes (I like Exploration personally):

[Character Mode Options]
[Strategy Mode Options]
[Exploration Mode Options]

Under each there are lots of settings, but the one I wanted was the speed that the screen revolved when the cursor hits the edge of the screen:

Edge_Turn_Min=3.000000
Edge_Turn_Max=20.000000
Edge_Turn_Default=5.000000
Edge_Turn_Current=12.500000

I increased the Max and Current Settings to what I have above and that did the trick (but I still have to adjust them some more). One thing to remember is not to change the current to be greater than the max.
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock