MAC Users Please Read This

If you have any technical question about how to run NWN2, this is the forum you need.
pagoda_5b
Skeleton's Knuckle

MAC Users Please Read This

Post by pagoda_5b »

dergon darkhelm wrote:1. You need legal copies of Neverwinternights2 and the Mask of the Betrayer expansion pack on your PC.

1.a -- Updated to: 1.011.1153 (current obsidian patch) as of Jan 6, 2008.

2. Download and install the Worldgate v1.5 client on your PC

[edited 1/15/2008 by AcadiusLost - GUI hak instead of DMFI UI]
Sorry if it's stated elsewhere but I can't find it:

Does that means that Mac NWN2 owners won't be able to play on ALFA?

Thanks, bye!
Pagoda_5b

"Preparation is useless: role-players are the most expressive example of chaos theory."
-- Quoted from the i.h.g.g. usenet

Current PC: Olisha Hayseed

AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

Presumably the mac NWN2 & MotB are still patchable online? If so, the only difficulty for mac owners comes in staying up to date with the haks and PWCs- we can certainly have them uploaded as well for mac users, I hadn't followed the development and wasn't aware they'd had MotB out for mac already.

So, certainly welcome, just means less convenience in staying updates. So long as you're willing to roll up your sleeves and put all the files in the right place (and replace them when they get updated), you should be fine to play here.
pagoda_5b
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by pagoda_5b »

AcadiusLost wrote:Presumably the mac NWN2 & MotB are still patchable online? If so, the only difficulty for mac owners comes in staying up to date with the haks and PWCs- we can certainly have them uploaded as well for mac users, I hadn't followed the development and wasn't aware they'd had MotB out for mac already.
Thanks for your reply.
The issue I was trying to point out was exactly that a Mac conversion of MotB is not even conceived yet... which probably leads to at least another year of wait for Mac Gamers to have it; that is, if the game sells good enough to eventually justify Aspyr and Atari for a conversion of MotB.
I hope so, but I regret that it doesn't work exactly as it was for the NWN1 expansions, which were totally platform indipendent.

Of course, the bootcamp option is still there, but since I just bought the game for Mac it's not a viable solution now ... :cry:
I hope for an unseen solution to my situation, since I really love playing on ALFA!
AcadiusLost wrote:So, certainly welcome, just means less convenience in staying updates. So long as you're willing to roll up your sleeves and put all the files in the right place (and replace them when they get updated), you should be fine to play here.
That was never an issue, since we already did it for NWN1! ;)
Pagoda_5b

"Preparation is useless: role-players are the most expressive example of chaos theory."

Sargiel
Skeleton's Knuckle

Re: MAC Users Please Read This

Post by Sargiel »

Just to advise that work is progressing on bringing the Mac client up to date and Aspyr will be releasing 1.23. Once we're up to date in terms of patch compatibility they will be producing a second performance patch to make use of various improvements to Mac OS X since the original port.

Also note that there is a Mac specific forum now at Bioware for NWN 2.

Concerning expansions there's been no official word from Aspyr yet - however it's already possible to install the PC version of MotB and no doubt, once we've the latest patch, the same will be true of SoZ. Hopefully Aspyr will release native versions but if they don't we'll be able to get by.

So ... it shouldn't be too much longer to wait until ALFA is playable in Mac OS X.
pagoda_5b
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by pagoda_5b »

This is very cool, thank you... I'll stay tuned ;)
Pagoda_5b

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

OK ---so one of my long time RL friends just put in an app. (ps ---Apps team ...he was a bit a drunk ...but I swear he's a great DM and PnPer :) )

Anyhow..he's on a MAC using OSX and I was planning to get himdiscs for his b-day.

Are they different special CDs or something?

Now that 1.23 is out is it just "plug and play" as if he was on a PC?
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Sargiel
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by Sargiel »

Unfortunately that's not an easy a question as it should be (and it's an old question now as I don't often check on here :D )

Aspyr ported NWN 2 to OS X so there is a native port of the core game. However the current version on the mac is woefully lagging behind the PC being still on 1.12. Aspyr are working on bringing us right up to date to 1.23 hotfix and that is expected shortly.

In terms of the expansions we have not had native releases of the expansion packs although it is possible to install the PC version of MotB on OS X (check out the NWN 2 Mac forums at Bioware). However the second expansion will not install at this time because our version of NWN 2 is too old so we're waiting on the 1.23 patch to rectify this situation.

Basically if your friend has bootcamp up and running with Windows XP and they want to play ALFA NOW NOW NOW then I'd have to say buy the windows versions for him as at this time.

I will come back and update this thread though when the patch is released and I'm able to test ALFA on my iMac with the native Mac version of NWN 2. Hopefully before Christmas (2009) ;)

Are there many Mac users like me who used to play ALFA in NWN 1 that are interested in coming back to the fold when all is working properly ?
pagoda_5b
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by pagoda_5b »

I'd want to be able, at least, to try.
Actually what's preventing me from playin' is my life schedule that doesn't leave me any time left... :mrgreen:
Anyway, I appreciate any news, thanks! :wink:
Pagoda_5b

Sargiel
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by Sargiel »

I know it's been a while but just to advise that the Mac client for NWN2 is currently at 1.23 and people have been reporting success at installing the PC versions of the expansions. I currently have MotB and SoZ on order so will be giving this a try to see if it's possible for me to rejoin ALFA in Mac OS X :)
pagoda_5b
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by pagoda_5b »

Nice of you to check on this, kudos! :mrgreen:
Pagoda_5b

Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Hopefully it all works out.

Welcome back if it does! :D