JLM DM style...

Forum group for all new player discussions.
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

JLM DM style...

Post by johnlewismcleod »

K...SSM and the various HDM's have graciously allowed me to carry a global DM wand and I've just about got the DM client sorted out enough to start harassing PC's effectively again.

I asked for a global slot so I could more effectively support Dorn's recruitment/retention efforts. We need new blood to keep this wonderful beast we call ALFA healthy and strong and I want to do my part to contribute to that goal.

My DM style has always been non-scheduled quests for any and all PC's I can sink a hook into regardless of level or alignment.

While my emphasis will be jumping on new players whenever possible and giving them the opportunity to see what is so wonderful about our world, I will also be harassing as many of you dear old friends as often as possible.

To the new players:

I encourage you to start the game with malleable PC's that can get along with a wide range of other PC's. Choosing an extreme alignment, race, or class can make it difficult to group up with other PC's. Don't worry about getting "stuck" with something "boring"...this is ALFA and we're permadeath...you'll get plenty of chances to re-roll 8)

To the old players:

It can be an RP challenge to quickly group up with new PC's that your PC doesn't know in game, but I encourage all to make their best effort to allow groups to form and quest together whenever possible so new players get a chance see what ALFA is all about.

To all players:

I like to DM ingame. My greatest joy is in presenting ingame opportunities for PC's to quest and interact with NPC's and monsters via RP.

What I don't like to do is respond to requests for special items, gear, or favors. This makes me feel like a tool and would take me out of game if I were to try to satisfy requests of this sort...ie not fun. If you quest with me, you will receive rewards as per ALFA guidelines and your PC will acquire cool stuff anyway...so please be patient and let it happen organically.

I can be as chatty as the next person via Tells (sometimes entirely too chatty)...please feel free to Tell me you're busy and I will leave you alone to do your thing ingame. I also request that you do the same for me...when I'm busy I will respond to Tells with "busy" and that means please let me complete what I'm working on without distraction. If it's a true emergency, say so and I can pause the game to help. I don't want anyone dying due to bug just because I'm busy somewhere else, but please limit 911 calls to the real thing.

Adult themed RP:

I will likely introduce adult themed stuff IG on occasion, but I'm strictly "fade to black" with this sort of RP...ie a kiss, a hand on knee, but nothing graphic beyond that. This is not a judgement on my part that I would impose on any who are comfortable with more intimate RP...it's just not my thing and I won't go there personally.

Please keep some notes on quests your PC is involved in with me...more than likely you will need them down the road (and I may need your notes in case I forgot to make mine ;) ).

See you all ingame :D
Last edited by johnlewismcleod on Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Mick
Beholder

Re: JLM DM style...

Post by Mick »

Just a bit of advertising for JLM here. Anyone who can get in on his DMing, should. You will not regret it.

Thanks for stepping up again, JLM! :D
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

This is good news. Thank you!
Enjoy the game
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

High praise from two of my mentors...thank you! :D
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

ICly, or In character for new to ALFA, I have on many occasions taken a person new to the city, obviously green, and paid them handsomely for errands or deeds. Much like some of the statics. Not throwing a thousand gold or a magic weapon, but enough to buy a curative sure. I believe the highest reward I've given was taking 'an important' note to Lady Teresa of Ruqel, I paid 100 gold to a dwarf to carry a note written in elvish. It read "To the bearer please see to his wounds. He was seen performing an act of good and bravery on the road. Any expense I will return to you when I arrive."

It was something that helped a new player get acquainted with some more of the server, get a little wealth started and make a good contact or two. After all, he did defend a caravan from goblins. This is something I do to help, because it can be very tough to start out. A potion of cure light can be critical to survival. And Horatio had been there too.

If you ever want to have an player IC to start something off for the lower levels, I'm willing.
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg