Clarification on Traps

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Clarification on Traps

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Apologies if I haven't read the docs properly, but can someone clarify the following points, please?

Are traps on doors made in the toolset affected?
Are traps on placeables made in the toolset affected?
Are traps that use the "projectile" type (and hence must use custom scripts) affected?

Cheers!

Edit: Also just noticed that some of the new standard traps in the Creator have a CR in negative numbers, which is a bit odd.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Clarification on Traps

Post by Zelknolf »

Teric neDhalir wrote:Apologies if I haven't read the docs properly, but can someone clarify the following points, please?

Are traps on doors made in the toolset affected?
Are traps on placeables made in the toolset affected?
Are traps that use the "projectile" type (and hence must use custom scripts) affected?
No, but they're inferior. If you can upgrade, you should.
Edit: Also just noticed that some of the new standard traps in the Creator have a CR in negative numbers, which is a bit odd.
That's the math that everyone nodded to when posted in standards. It's odd-- but those are traps that probably won't even kill anyone in a party of level 1s, and would probably be CR 1/3-1/8.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Zelknolf wrote:No, but they're inferior. If you can upgrade, you should.
I have traps that play sounds, move people to other locations and play visual effects, can we do that with the new 'uns?
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Can't call arbitrary scripts from new traps, 'fraid. I'll make a ticket for the enhancement-- for the moment, only spells and damage.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Teric neDhalir wrote:
Zelknolf wrote:No, but they're inferior. If you can upgrade, you should.
I have traps that play sounds, move people to other locations and play visual effects, can we do that with the new 'uns?
Like a scream of agony when the spike trap goes through their boot?
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Rumple C wrote:Like a scream of agony when the spike trap goes through their boot?
Specify a trap with an area of effect of 1 meter and a damage type of piercing. You get the "shink!" and the howling pain for free.

But I think Teric meant like... traps which play howling wind sounds, or strum a lute, or other things that we wouldn't handle by default and didn't account for because we didn't know there was a tangible demand for that (a cursory glance at existing build showed a lot of very-piddily traps scattered on loot-containing placeables and no handling for replacing them once gone, and not much else. Unfortunately, I didn't dig very deep there, because the combined forces of ALFA's four mods equals more NWN2 ... stuff... to look at than any other world out there)
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

Thanks Zelk for the hard work on this system, I can not wait to see it in action.

So, in speaking with Zelk I learned one aspect of the new trap system is rogues will no longer be permitted to examine traps before attempting to disarm them. I'm not sure how many of our rogues used the examine feature of nwn2's disable device now to look at how complex a trap is before trying to disarm it. I know my rogues always do. A high CR trap could now easily become certain death for low level rogues or anyone lacking a high disable devices rank. I'm not sure if this is something we want to fix-3.5 doesn't have an explicit examine feature related to disable devices but but presumes a dm is present to give context (e.g. you see a massive blade loaded on a spring; you see a needle dripping with green oil; you see a snare in the grass).

We do not know what the cr ratings of creatures are, but we also are able to apply context based on what we do see ig. I do not consider it meta for my pc to avoid a dragon, or assume a kolbolt is manageable. If it is a dragon pretending to be a kolbolt then I am surprised and, maybe my toon is lunch. There is no context with a red tile or or door absent a dm. At the very least we need to update our notes on the skill in alfa, and ask our builders and dms to remember that players have no way to judge a trap that's dropped, anymore than a red dragon dressed as a kolbolt. I can see cries of griefing by players from dms dropping high cr traps on lowbie players; no matter the best intentions.
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

So... splitting into two possible responses... if you want examine, as in making a risk-free roll to discover the trap's DC, that's a revision to the design and we need to take this to a whole other forum so we can get proper discussion and approval. It probably won't get the needed audience here, though.

If you want examine, as in wanting builders to be able to type out what this thing looks like, sure. I think that "the trap looks like whatever the DM or builder says it looks like" is a given, and is technically already possible anyway-- but not as conveniently as we'd like.