Scroll pricing gone bonkers

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Scroll pricing gone bonkers

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Could someone check their blueprint prices for scrolls and let me know whether the base price has changed since the 1.23 patch?
For example;
Sleep{2} is now 72GP
Bull's Strength{3} is 216GP
Fireball{5} is 540GP.

This obviously plays merry hell with all my custom blueprints which I've already been through at least twice :wall:

Or, alternatively, whether that always was the base price and your custom Additional Cost has changed.

Smiling through the pain,
TnD
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Re: Scroll pricing gone bonkers

Post by Curmudgeon »

I suspect it may have to do with the updated haks that were put in to correct mispricing in the Toolset for standardized scrolls, potions, etc. Check with AL or riotnrrd for details on how this now works.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Curmudgeon wrote:I suspect it may have to do with the updated haks that were put in to correct mispricing in the Toolset for standardized scrolls, potions, etc. Check with AL or riotnrrd for details on how this now works.
:eek:
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

I claim no direct knowledge, but I believe AL changed the pricing 2das so that no additional cost was needed for scrolls... the correct item cost should be calculated based on caster and spell level of the item properties.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

We've also got hundreds of updated item blueprints you can import so you don't have to re-toolset existing ones... it was one of those "painful now, better in the long run" decisions.

Note: The changes affected all Cast Spell: X type items, which includes wands, shoes of exp. retreat 1/day, etc.

Also note: lowest-CL versions of every spell in the game (plus those we added) are also now available.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

I can stand remaking the blueprints again, but the prices quoted in the original post and defined in the .2da file I think is involved seem to me to be using a multiplier of 36gp*spell level* caster level. Which isn't right, is it? Have I got some wrong files somewhere?
Confused as ever,
TnD
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Theres a calculation that pulls from 2 different 2das to get the final price. Its not intuitive.

I can't say where the numbers you pulled came from, but generally scrolls should have a final price of 25 * Caster Level * Spell Level. If you create a scroll and don't modify the price, this is what should show in the toolset as the cost. Your prices are higher than they should be... perhaps you have something in the 'additional cost' field within the item in the toolset?
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

I'm seeing the same thing in Toolset, i.e., scroll pricing at 36gp / SL
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

It appears only part of the 2da magic that makes Cast Spell type items price right in the toolset actually applies to the toolset without special arrangements (read as: new builder overrides). For the most part, toolsetting those items with "Added Cost" of 0 will work out fine in-game, unless there is an affinity penalty to apply (or surcharges for multiple abilities, etc). If you ignore the "Base Cost" box and assume it uses the formula from Standards, the item should turn out fine in-game.

The formulas automatically accounted for are:

Spell Scrolls (should be use-restricted for use only by classes that have the spell available):
Spell Level x Caster Level x 25 gp

Potions / Single use consumables (no class restrictions):
Spell Level x Caster Level x 50 gp

Wands (50 charges, no limit/day, should be set as class-restricted for specific spell avail):
Spell Level x Caster Level x 750 gp (value decreases linearly with number of charges available)

Rods (50 charges, no limit/day, class-unrestricted)
Spell Level x Caster Level x 900 gp (value decreases linearly with number of charges available)

Wonderous/Command Word Items ( # uses / day, non class-restricted)
Spell Level x Caster Level x Uses Per Day x 360 gp

So long as they're single-power per item, with no affinity penalty (Shoes of Ultravision), these should price right in game automatically, even so far as dropping in price if you tool them up with fewer than 50 charges, or more than one charge per use. The Added Cost field can be used to add the +50% for a second power or other "extra value" needed if necessary.

Having the extra 2das in override will make the Base Cost look correct in the toolset if that's necessary; I'm hoping OEI gets the toolset reading those with next patch. I'll make up a new set of optional builder overrides shortly for those who want to use them, they just complicate the patching process and can cause problem when working with non-ALFA mods in the toolset.