Setting up to build for ALFA (UPDATED for 1.22 / SoZ)

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Re: Setting up to build for ALFA (UPDATED for 1.22 / SoZ)

Post by HEEGZ »

Thank you Zic, however the new link is still not working for me, heh.
:chin:
zicada
Infrastructure Prawn

Post by zicada »

HEEGZ wrote:Thank you Zic, however the new link is still not working for me, heh.
:chin:
It works for everybody but you.

No really, you clicked it earlier and thus your DNS server cached it. It´ll work for you too in a day or so :D
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -- Richard Dawkins
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Okay, well I already have a copy of it. Was just making sure that everyone else who wants it can grab it. This is all a bit ironic however.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

AL, I've got a question for you. Would it be beneficial for Moonshaes and Frozen North to import all of their current areas into this buildmod and then go from there? Perhaps it would be faster to just alter the existing mods, but I thought perhaps this might save some time.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

AcadiusLost wrote:Please note that ACR functions, persistency, scripts, static quests, and spawns will not function inside this building test module. These advanced functions require more complex setup, and will be covered in a separate posting.
The Buildmod is not a full "Basemod", it's meant for builders learning to make areas, creatures, items, etc. If it were to have all the ACR systems enabled, it would require a lot of extra setup to work properly. Current beta servers should NOT switch over to the buildmod. What they will need is the "ALFA server basemod", which is an unfinished project.

Any beta team in need of an interim basemod may contact me, and I can get them something that will work, but it's currently unfinished and cluttered up with a pile of test scripts / areas / merchants / items / etc, so not ready for public consumption.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't spoken with Marklos in a week or two, but will point him your way if needed.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

AcadiusLost wrote:[edit]Do Not Use - files linked below are outdated!
-Curmudgeon, 12-Dec-2010[/edit]
So, if I want to do some construction, where do i find files I can use?
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Gebb
Dire Badger

Post by Gebb »

Is there a link to files, and step by step setup instructions for setting up the toolset to build in ALFA? I've got the itch to frustrate myself learning the toolset again.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

A more complete answer from more completely knowledgeable people will surely come, but in the name of timeliness, here's the short version for basic building:

1) Remove possible overrides
2) Associate ALFA haks with your buildmod (you have these DLd into "hak" if you play)
3) Build stuff (You should be go for areas, items, creatures. Scripts I can't say.)
4) Save as directory, zip the files that you created, and ship for adding to your server (UTI and UTC for items and creatures, an area is a handful files with the area name and different extensions.)

If you do build areas you do at the very least need tags for ATs that connect to your area. More advanced stuff is more advanced. Someone else will have to chime in if that's what you're after, and probably you'd have to be a bit more specific.

Basic tutorials are found in announcements and stickies in this forum. The DO NOT PANIC guide is one good start.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Can a moderator unsticky this topic? A more complete and up-to-date one will be posted soon.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

I did a migration of one computer to another, full reinstall of NWN2...didn't bother moving over old build modules and whatnot, figured it'd be easy to grab a new one.

I'm not sure where to find a plain old builder's module though... this sticky and another sticky seemed to hint at the topic being re-org'd and new stickies happening but that's almost a year ago. Hint / help? I have DMFTP access for what it is worth (would go grab Filezilla or something for this computer if needed...)

Thanks. Not urgent but hey... help welcome.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

Bump - is the one found here with an apparent Sept 2013 date on it, the "latest greatest"?

ftp://ftp.alandfaraway.org/NWN2/Modules/Buildmod/

DMA Staff
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

I think so?

The buildmod is in a perpetual state of being not done, because there's always so much to know/do and always room to reduce the overhead of building, but the one Foam was working on last year was the least bad of options, as I recall.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

I opened it up, it seemed at least to recognize new special materials dropdowns (duskwood, living metal, etc) so it probably is the latest. Thanks.

DMA Staff