Reskinning Placeables

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Reskinning Placeables

Post by Curmudgeon »

Some of our builders have expressed a need for some custom placeables - banners and signs with specific symbols on them, stained glass windows not in our current collection, etc.

Does anyone here have the knowledge of how to go about this and what tools are required?
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Re: Reskinning Placeables

Post by Riotnrrd »

Mmmmm...

I'd have to look around, don't know if something like 3DSmax would be needed, or just flipping some bitmaps in a folder somewhere...

If its 3DSmax, I might be able to do it.

What are they paying :) or willing to do in trade...
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

*Puts up hand* Wealth, power, knowledge and not activating the portal to the Nine Hells that sits under the Orphanage.

If you have the tools and the know-how, I'd lurve some stained glasses. I could PM the design specs.
Enjoy the game
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

Generally an expensive 3D editing program is only needed if you are changing the shape of a model, adding animations, etc.

The "skin" is a separate image-type file, which is referenced by the model file to be wrapped around the shape of the object in-game (hence the term "skin") It can be edited in programs like photoshop, illustrator, etc. Minor changes need to be made to the MDB file itself to point at the new skin, but those can be made using a hex editor in a pinch. The result is sometimes pretty crude, but easy enough to attempt.

Something like a banner or a window is going to be easiest... if you've ever tried to look at the "skin" image for something like a dragon or a human head model, it's not exactly intuitive to work out what you're looking at.
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Cool... so... 3D modeling is not needed
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

Thanks to Dunniteowl's NWN Citadel Project weekly news, I found this tutorial on the Vault.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
viigas
Dungeon Master

Post by viigas »

I will try remember to look at this now during the days off.

To make wynnas windows should not be all that big a deal if one of you know how to include it if I create a 2da file with the added stuff as in this tutorial, all we can do is try :|
DM viigas (TSM)
Retired toon: Faenor Bital
-----------------------------------------------------
when online: GMT thursday 2130-0230 + when RL allow me
-----------------------------------------------------
granite stonejaw:
- damn, I didnt mean to drink
davidcurtisjr
Orc Champion

Post by davidcurtisjr »

"Generally an expensive 3D editing program is only needed if you are changing the shape of a model, adding animations, etc."

Say I have a 3d editing program. (Blender--Some of you may be familiar with it. It's an open source 3d editing program) This editing program can animate, bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan. Once I have a file saved, what format should it have in order to place the item in game? Also, how do I ensure that my ratio's are compatible with NWN's. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
f thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, THOU SHALT BE SAVED."
davidcurtisjr
Orc Champion

Post by davidcurtisjr »

"Generally an expensive 3D editing program is only needed if you are changing the shape of a model, adding animations, etc.

The "skin" is a separate image-type file, which is referenced by the model file to be wrapped around the shape of the object in-game (hence the term "skin") It can be edited in programs like photoshop, illustrator, etc. Minor changes need to be made to the MDB file itself to point at the new skin, but those can be made using a hex editor in a pinch. The result is sometimes pretty crude, but easy enough to attempt.

Something like a banner or a window is going to be easiest... if you've ever tried to look at the "skin" image for something like a dragon or a human head model, it's not exactly intuitive to work out what you're looking at."

What file type is the image file and where should it be saved in our folders?
I imagine the hex editor is a sin plug in could you clarify?
Thanks.
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
f thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, THOU SHALT BE SAVED."