Just put the last touchs on new area, and...

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Just put the last touchs on new area, and...

Post by johnlewismcleod »

I got a message of gibberish when I logged out of mod after the final test run. I closed out the toolset, and it warned me that there was no valid start point, but I saved and closed anyway (couldn't do anything else because I got error messages trying to open the start area).

Now when I open the mod, I have no areas (there is an ext., and three interiors)...do I have to start from scratch again with this :?
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Re: Just put the last touchs on new area, and...

Post by Rotku »

Heh, welcome to the joys of NWN2 toolsetting. The word to inscribe into your brain is BACKUP BACKUP and BACKUP.
< Signature Free Zone >
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

Work in Directory Mode. It will give you a better chance of recovering a part of your work after a crash.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Ack!...I was afraid that might be the case...thank goodness it wasn't anything extremely big :(

So...when you say back-up...I assume you mean keep as "Save as" version under a different name?

I'll check into the directory mode, Curm...It probably took me 8 - 9 hrs on this one (would likely have taken anyone else half that time :lol: ), so going forward I'll be employing every trick I can to prevent a similar mishap.

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Best thing about crashes like that, each time you rebuild it goes twice as fast.

I generally keep a few backup copies on a separate drive, updated every few hours. Maybe slightly excessive, but I hate having to re-do things.
< Signature Free Zone >
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

johnlewismcleod wrote:Ack!...I was afraid that might be the case...thank goodness it wasn't anything extremely big :(

So...when you say back-up...I assume you mean keep as "Save as" version under a different name?

I'll check into the directory mode, Curm...It probably took me 8 - 9 hrs on this one (would likely have taken anyone else half that time :lol: ), so going forward I'll be employing every trick I can to prevent a similar mishap.
Just make a copy, as Rotku says, preferably on another drive. I use SyncBack to copy everything new from my Documents/NWN2 folder to a backup drive daily.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

I uploaded to the DMFTP the copy of your areas you sent me on 10/4, in case they are of any help.
Enjoy the game
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Thanks, Wynna...but no...this is a different area.

No worries...from where I started it's amazing I've got this far without losing anything 8) . I'll rebuild...I need the practice.