Dungeon Master Wishlists

New models, textures, & integration of 3rd party content.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Re: Dungeon Master Wishlists

Post by Ronan »

Its an easy problem to solve, so yeah I'd expect there are many available solutions.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Under the DMFI Target Tool, which is often set as battle options unless you pick the leftmost of the two upper left buttons for server options, find a menu with like, 12 little boxes. Top row #4 is for Report Location. It reports location. Unfortunately it can't be dragged to quickslots as a button, like some of the buttons can. I'm not going to post a screeny of an actual location report, little too much meta info on hitpoints and stuff which I don't want to fuzz out with MS Paint or whatever, hah.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Regas wrote:Having to leave an area to re-set omega wand after possessing an npc.
Toyed around with this for a couple hours tonight. Got nowhere. Pain in the butt, seems to be an engine issue, and I haven't found a work-around yet.

---

So I'm starting to do concept work on a unified UI for ALFA that ties in our various things into 1 interface. Planning on a simple icon in the upper-left corner of the screen that expands into a vertical bar. Each icon is a category. Clicking one expands a horizontal bar (or grid) to the side with options under that category. Doubt any category will have enough options to make this overly cluttered. Just needs unambiguous icons and tooltips.

If any designers or User Interface savvy folks want to give some feedback or suggestions, we can start a brainstorm thread for this particular project.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Great stuff.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

It's not a DM thing, but could you maybe do something about the giant rock throwing ability?

In nwn2 it's an aoe reflex save for half.
In pnp it's a ranged attack roll (which presumably isn't an aoe either?).

I don't mind the reflex save that much, but it's dumb as hell to see giants locked in melee with people forgoing their clubs and choosing instead to just pick up boulders and hurl them at their feet.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Xan, BG and Campaign Folder giants use modified slings to "throw" rocks. The downside is they get more attacks per round than they would in 3.5, but the AB generally sucks so the second attack doesn't do much anyway. Then of course all ranged weapons have the same range...

The rock-throwing ability calls a spell script. In NWN1 I modified this to do an attack roll; it'd still be in the old mods and probably a drop-in replacement for the current script. However the above solution is better for a lot of reasons so I hoped to fix it with the campaign folder.
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

Ah, cool. It'd be nice if all servers would use the fixed giant slings thing then.
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

Just today I found:

The DM Spell Menu needs to be moveable.

The DMFI model changer often projects models in distorted versions on NPCS or PCs in the area
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Cloud_Dancing wrote:Just today I found:

The DMFI model changer often projects models in distorted versions on NPCS or PCs in the area
To be precise it's the 'Quickspell' UI (the one that comes up when you hit 'F') that is immovable currently in the DM client; it can be problematic if you have anything near the left edge of the screen (vertical hotbars, various other menus) mainly because the metamagic feat UI on the top portion gets partially obscured, so that if you choose to cast a spell with a metamagic feat applied, it apparently becomes difficult to click the 'normal' casting icon to turn metamagic 'off'.

Oddly enough I did manage to get a second metamagic UI interface to appear on the screen completely unattached to the rest of the quickspell interface, and this one was movable... but I've no idea how I managed to get that to pop up, and it seems less redundant/cluttery to make the entire original Quickspell UI movable rather than having a duplicate partial interface that's movable.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Ksiel
Frost Giant

Post by Ksiel »

Cloud_Dancing wrote:Just today I found:

Along with the spell menu that needs to be moveable:

1) Zspawn button needs to be moveable.
2) Remove the difficulty sliding bar (is this even needed?)
Current PC: Anovallis "Nova" Starmane

Retired but not forgotten: Bhael Ezri, Blaise Dawnbright, Bastian Cross, Tristan Celvante, Logan Castill, Dorian Orthallas, Kharak Aza'DeDuin, Nyx
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Ksiel wrote:1) Zspawn button needs to be moveable.
This one came up during zSpawn's initial development, and the options are...
1) UI just can't move
2) UI disrupts all other UIs and interactions while open
3) UI disintegrates when moved, resulting in related elements on disparate parts of the screen.

We went with 1 as the least of evils; it's the unfortunate reality that the system rubs up against NWN2's limitations like a perv on a Japanese subway, and that was the reasoning behind most of its shortcomings (also why you can't specify "random near this alignment" or "any lawful/chaotic/good/evil" on the alignment bar, why facial hair is random, why you can only select preconfigured colors, why you can't toggle between archetypal builds [e.g. beatdown fighter v. tanky fighter] or skill point spending [they all generally spend their skill points on perception, stealth, and direct support of class abilities] and why there's no equipment quality slider).

Imagine that we could empty out the difficulty slider UI and set it to 1x1 transparent pixel in the bottom corner of the screen to get rid of it. It very much dislikes the notion of being script loadable (and thus script closeable) in my experiments, but I suppose we don't need to let it be visible to let it load.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

The UI being unmovable for Zspawn isn't a game ender, as it's nicely tucked out of the way of most things when minimized. Quickcast menu is bigger and more problematic it seems.

(I'm guessing this isn't a Zspawn thing but was reminded when orcs were spawned via Zspawn... For the love of all that's holy can mobs be tweaked so our orcs and such don't have voicesets that sound like prepubescent choirboys/bright eyed adventurers? Very jarring to immersion and confusing during combat)
Last edited by Ithildur on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Stormbring3r
Owlbear

Post by Stormbring3r »

I am no DM fo ALFA since NWN1 but maybe a server wide spawn system that is based on a groups level instead of only feeding off either weak spawns or ubber spawns
ALFA NWN1 Notable PC's
Jenna Steel (dead)
Marcus Agent of Mask (dead)
NWN2 PC's
Current PC.... Merin (Merry) Gwinkill
Will Menen (Dead)

DM MS
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. Feel free to keep them coming! I'll be trying to implement what I can.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Cheers Foam, you're awesome. As well as the other ALFA Back scene workers, you all know who you are, thank you so much. ALFA is picking up again. I would mention names but do not want to miss anyone. And thank you DMs. And players. Aw hellz alaahve thank you everyone. Even Heero.