question

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

question

Post by Ithildur »

Serious question, for the purposes of thinking some things through both regarding MS and across ALFA in general:

Why is no one logging in on MS lately?

I spent a pretty decent chunk of time over the past month or so here, had a stretch this past week where I explored/wandered around for hours and hours over several days (thanks to being sick at home). I ran into 2 or 3 impromptu DMed sessions (narrowly missed one scheduled session), one placed encounter, a couple of areas with a bit of static content that was interesting/unexplored (this seemed like the biggest weakness of MS currently, lack of static content/areas that feel kind of empty and unfinished), and had to skip the EU timeslot that Dusk said he'd be on for. Almost all of that was alone; I even sent out a pm to half dozen folks and poked a couple more in irc, but no one showed.

Not asking this to blame anyone or say people suck, I'm strictly asking to find out what the reasons are why people don't log in.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Re: question

Post by orangetree »

(response removed.)
Last edited by orangetree on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Question was directed at players more so than DMs; I've seen more DM activity on MS than players logging in this week, including 3 timeslots that DMs announced that no one showed up for (though for one of them the DM was 2 hours late to be fair).

Again, not looking to blame, just asking the what's and why's.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Heh. Life, man.
Wish I could have played.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

My PC is not really a social PC, and I've been hit by insomnia lately as it is. Once that's dealt with, I'll be playing in DM sessions again.

A PC who is a loner for the most part doesn't really mingle with people in taverns that much. I might make some exceptions in the future, but my lack of logging in outside DM times does not indicate a dissatisfaction with ALFA in general, just that my PC is not sociable, and I myself do not really play ALFA as a social place.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

My PCs are invariably low-level and alone, and the last time I visited the Moonshaes there just wasn't enough static content to stay busy. Or there was, but I couldn't find it.
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

Theres quite a few answers to this. Some folks have already said they are busy, others don't care for social RP. Outside of mail runs and watching high levels do fun things the server isnt that friendly to lowbies outside of specific DM'd sessions. There was a certain high level PC who tried getting lowbies involved in things and enjoyed giving out things for them to do....but.....that PC is gone now :?
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
Iarwain
Brown Bear

Post by Iarwain »

Tuesday is the only evening where I have the time (or being allowed) to play - family and all that jazz...
Forum: Iarwain
GSID: iarwain_benadar
GMT+1
Playing: Mondays and Tuesdays 8pm on MS
Current character: William "Will" Goodbarrel
NWN1 character: Moonshade
StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

Spent some time with a new player last night on MS. Another player came over from BG and we ran a little some some...

To that point, I am going to start dropping stuff on the server for toons to do.... (I will post the details elsewhere)

Let me have men about me that are fat;
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights:
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
- Julies Caesar, Act II, William Shakespeare