Dergon DM TSM

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderators: Wynna, NWN2 - 03 DM

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Dergon DM TSM

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Hi everyone. I'm going to be DMing here now. I hope it's fun for all involved.

I figured I would post and tell you a bit about me and my game.

First thing to remember ... I'm old. I'm a tabletop D&D player going back to the box set. My brain thinks in graph paper and dice and round-by-round play. My existing tabletop game is in 3.5 D&D rules.

What does that mean to playing when I'm a DM?

First, it means that I will almost certainly have a long learning curve trying to gain basic technical competency with the DM client. That means I need as much of my brain power devoted to DMing as opposed to being distracted. So while I love to do unrelated RL chat while playing a PC, when I am DMing please keep the tells and DM channel spam to a minimum so that I can focus.

Second, I like rolling dice. I like skill checks, opposed D20 rolls, people trying to do things "out of engine" based on their PC's ability. I will reward creative play that gets the game past just hacking away at hordes. So have your dice bag ready for more checks and saves than you might be used to. I will also have NPCs/monsters take "out of engine" actions like casting spells using touch attack or bullrushing etc.

Third, I will intentionally slow down combat to simulate round by round play. I may hit the pause button in order to make an NPC choose the spell I want him to use rather than the stupid thing the AI does. I also welcome any requests on the PC side to stop or slow the game. As a matter of fact, feel free to create a custom macro that says "DM Dergon, please hit pause".

Not really related to being old but ... I also like traps a lot. Bring a rogue along.

____

I am going to try to take it slow and not bite off some giant multiverse-spanning campaign. For now it's all going to be ad hoc. I can't yet commit to a regular campaign day, but I do hope to be on a fair bit. (For this initial period I plan on stopping playing my PCs until I can really get adjusted to the DM side again.)

____

I prefer working with low to mid-level PCs. It's just much easier to create effective challenges. So if you were thinking about retiring someone or rolling up that second PC, now might be the time. I will try to give love to those players that make new PCs and spend time in game keeping the "PW feel" of the server alive.

_____

If you have a PC feel free to PM me a biography including IC hopes, aspirations, etc. I will post it in the forums somewhere to remind myself of potential hooks.

_______

Lastly, a bit of a warning: I like to place spawns in order to make a more changing and dynamic environment. Sometimes I will announce said spawns, other times no. I'll try to keep the roads clear for lowbie statics (or post clear rumors if they're not), but don't be surprised if "that cave with 2 kobolds in the front and 3 gnolls in each corner" gets some new residents on occasion.

I can jump in for 45 min on a morning and put some nasties in random places.

Try not to get dead and then start PMing for "tech" rezzes because you didn't expect a troll to be in that cavern.

OK then. I think that's it for now. See you in game... bring your friends :)
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Re: Dergon DM TSM

Post by HEEGZ »

Sweet

Action

:!:
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Splendid! Thanks for stepping up!
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Thanks Dergon!
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Re: Request for PC biographies

Hi there. Playing a PC on TSM? Planning to play a PC regularly on TSM?

How about you send me your character' biography and any critical information so that I can familiarize myself with what is going on in their game and in their head.

Totally optional, but I think it would help me be more effective.

dergon

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

I should be on tomorrow Wednesday for a "Happy Hour" time frame session US east.

Should be around from 6 to 10 pm or so US eastern time

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Minor snag -
I left myself logged in on my office PC .... will need someone to boot me before I can log in from home. :(

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

I think I should be able to get on for a could/few hour this evening. Jump in if you like