DM Talon

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderators: Wynna, NWN2 - 03 DM

talonbreak
Dire Badger

DM Talon

Post by talonbreak »

Hello and welcome. I please ask you take a moment to read over my preferences. My main point is to keep any sessions flowing and the party to function as a whole. I am a realistic DM and food, rest, fear, bugs will all play into my sessions. I am not threaten by magic or skills that over come these limits. I try not to play any favorites and if anything happens in a session I am completely open to talk about things.

Basic Information
Please do not ask for a server validation for a session. If there is a technical reason, IE a server is down or what not, I am happy to comply.

You can raise dead fallen comrades. You will need a Diamond worth 5000 gold and churches normally only raise loyal followers. Unless you go to Waukeen, who would happily take coin. Be prepared to pay extra for a diamond if you do not have one and accept a geas or quest if the raised is not affiliated with the church. Please consider that being raised from the dead is a traumatic experience and once this has occurred for your PC, you might consider retirement if it happens again. This is not a rule but it is an expectation of the ALFA community.

Forgotten realms is a high magic/powered world and I am happy to portray that within ALFA's guidelines. Not all canon spells are represented by NWN2 but most are available for roleplay use. Certain spells are restricted (not banned) as they can complicate game balance: Permanency, Teleport, Wish are a few examples.

Please use the DM channel for any requests/communication.

I request when I am not Dungeon Mastering, please contact me by a PM using our Forums. This creates a record of your request and also gives me a breather when not Dming.

While in Session
I really wish to keep the flow of a session going. If a player goes link dead or some sort of technical thing happens, I will pause for 5 minutes to let them come back. Afterward we move on and I can "red line" the story to get them back or what not.

I am happy to out of game teleport and give force rests to anyone before a session. There may be times you can get a forced rest during a long session, I will announce such times.

At any time a player can request a pause. I will be giving pauses during combat, 10 seconds paused, 10 seconds live and so on.

Please set all rolls to private. Some checks I will make for your character and will pm the results. Its then up to you to share with your party.

Players can ask to make a roll at any time but please do not roll unless I confirm your request.

A roll of a 20 is a critical success and you will often get more information out of it. As a roll of a 1 is a critical failure and you will often get blatantly wrong information.

I allow "taking 10" when not in combat or a stressful situation and allow "aiding another" when not in combat for Skill and Stat rolls. To aid another you announce your intention and I will ask you to make a roll DC 10. If you succeed your friend get a +2 unnamed bonus to their check.

CvC
You are allowed to fight others players in my session, if it is a mutual decision. If the CvC is not mutual it tends to stop a session cold. Be considerate to other players time and do it after the session if it's not mutual.

Loot
You may loot anything you see in game during a session. Players can split this up or keep it as they see fit.

At the end of each session I will lay out extra things found by searching, chests, taken off NPC's, ect. To adhere to AFLA's wealth guidelines the order of choosing items will be determined by wealth values. Please roleplay this as you all rolled dice and the person going first is just lucky! This of course is an out of game thing to maintain wealth balance.

Crafting and Gear
I support players that wish to spend a feat or skill points in crafting. If you are such a player, please introduce yourself and we can setup mini sessions. I do expect you to spend the 1/2 hour a day roleplaying making your item and you will need a work area as well. You really want to spend more time and make extra effort. I will reward you according!! One thing I ask to respect the play environment of ALFA, limit items with multiple effects unless they are represented by canon or in the DMG. I do not mind players finding NPC's to make them gear but prefer you go through a player first. This is a roleplaying community and I want to see players interacting.

Special materials are rare, did I mention rare? Not everyone has access to them or the skill to make them. Expect to roleplay heavily for access to those items.

I do allow master work items that give skill bonuses. As per the PHB those bonuses are circumstantial and stack with everything like unnamed bonuses. This bonus is maxed out at +2 and your item needs to be clearly marked in it's description as a master worked item.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
Fror Ironstar~ eaten by a Dire Boar at Friendly Arms Inn
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Re: DM Talon

Post by FoamBats4All »

Hey Talon! Thanks for stepping up to DM. :D
talonbreak wrote:A roll of a 20 is a critical success and you will often get more information out of it. As a roll of a 1 is a critical failure and you will often get blatantly wrong information.
Question here: You mean for skills? You'd be unique in this approach, as in D&D you do not auto-fail or auto-succeed on a 1 or 20. Totally your choice, of course, just curious.

Also, you may want to check with Curm on crafting. I know he likes to keep a leash on it.
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

I do mean for Skills and Stat checks.

I had my wonderful HDM read this over before I posted it.

I pretty much talk to him about everything before I do it anyways. Like shooting a zombie before you approach it... Best be sure its dead!
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
Fror Ironstar~ eaten by a Dire Boar at Friendly Arms Inn
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Kudos for stepping up. Have fun!
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise