Dwarven dialect

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
aidan the archer
Skeleton's Knuckle

Dwarven dialect

Post by aidan the archer »

In Races of Faerun it says, "The primary shield dwarven dialect, Shanatan, dates back to the founding of Shanatar and is still spoken by dwarves along the Sword Coast from the Shining Sea to the Spine of the World. To the east, in northcentral Faerûn, most shield dwarves speak the Galenan dialect, strongly influenced by the Damaran human tongue."

Do you guys roleplay this stuff? I've seen dwarves traditionally portrayed as having a Scottish accent. Does that represent one of the above dialects? Are dwarves from certain regions expected to speak a certain way in ALFA's Faerûn?
roleplaying Halandar Bramblefoot of Gullykin
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Re: Dwarven dialect

Post by Riotnrrd »

I think of a dialect as being a regional speech pattern, often filled with a particular regional vocabulary or pronunciation.
Southern US English is markedly different from Canadian English. Southern English uses words like 'grits' 'taters' and 'yall' while the Canadian uses 'ey', 'a-boot', and 'leftenant'.
How Dwarves speak Common I would think would be dependent upon whom they learned it from...
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

I would have to agree with Riot on that. Though I too have seen a brogue typically given to dwarves IG, I would think the race challenging enough to play without feeling compelled to atempt an accent. It is common they are speaking anyway, so go with what is easiest for you.
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

"Dwarven dialect" to me would be the way the dwarves in question speak their own tongue, and not the way they mangle the Common speech.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

There has been some speculation as to why dwarfs are tradionally portrayed with scottish accents:
Rudyard Kipling wrote M'Andrew's Hymn, which is likely the origin of the Scottish engineer stereotype. Given the dwarves are handy with cunning machinery, the Scotch [sic] Dwarf is a likely descendant.
There's a dwarf with an incredibly thick Scottish brogue in Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions. Since that came out in 1961, and D&D used it as a major source, that may be the source. As to why Anderson chose to give the character a brogue, I don't know, and, since he died six years ago, we may never know.
In folklore, the Black Dwarf was actually a Duergar. From the Duergar Wikipedia article:
"The duergar are a race of ugly fairies or dwarfs, particularly associated with the Simonside Hills of Northumberland, in northern England." Northumbria accounts for half of the border with Scotland.

I think it is b/c both races are drunk, cantakerous, hillfolk! ;)
Last edited by dergon darkhelm on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Dwarves, however, are not fish-white flesh puckered by the Highland breeze.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

I would agree with Curm in that Dwarven dialect would in itself be speaking dwarven a bit different than other dwarves and has nothing to do with common.

For My own PC, he speaks atrotious common, and writes even poorer. A very heavy accent because of his learning, nothing to do with being a dwarf perse. His dwarven has no accent whatsoever. I would follow riots suggestion to use a different regional tone if you'r playing a far flu ng dwarf from anthother region, but it's not really necessary.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

dergon darkhelm wrote:There has been some speculation as to why dwarfs are tradionally portrayed with scottish accents:;)
It could also be the traditional Scottish clan system (though long since dismantled by Butcher Cunningham and Co. after Culloden in 1746) seems a good match for the Dwarven clan system.

dergon darkhelm wrote:I think it is b/c both races are drunk, cantakerous, hillfolk! ;)
You're talking about the Irish now, I think. :wink:
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

danielmn wrote:I would agree with Curm in that Dwarven dialect would in itself be speaking dwarven a bit different than other dwarves and has nothing to do with common.

For My own PC, he speaks atrotious common, and writes even poorer. A very heavy accent because of his learning, nothing to do with being a dwarf perse. His dwarven has no accent whatsoever. I would follow riots suggestion to use a different regional tone if you'r playing a far flu ng dwarf from anthother region, but it's not really necessary.
There'll be nae dwarrrf flinging een tha Seelvarr Marrchen whilst I be King!!
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common