Neverwinter Nights & Canon.

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
Xityar
Builder

Neverwinter Nights & Canon.

Post by Xityar »

What, if any of the game plots actually happened? And in case none of them did (I'm talking about main plots here) what wars have passed which involved Neverwinter and Luskan?

Surely there must be something to allude to in game, it's the most common ground for anyone who buys the games after all.

In my case I was playing someone who had helped out during the wars, (using the vetran background, which states they took part in the war against the lord of shadows plot in nwn2) this background could of course most likely be exchanged for any other war, within reason, so I figured there ought to be some Neverwinter war I could fall back on.
Drama Queen

Current PC Gleniel Amoles
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Re: Neverwinter Nights & Canon.

Post by hollyfant »

The official WotC stance has always been that the plot of a game is never canon, since the outcome would be different for everyone. And since we're using canon as our starting point, none of the events in the game actually happened.

It was all just a dream... :tired:

Of course, I'm by no stretch of the imagination an ALFA bigwig; what I'm saying is most definitely not to be considered as canon.
Xityar
Builder

Post by Xityar »

Alright, but then the question remains, what can I use otherwise?

What with their animosity, Neverwinter and Luskan must've duked it out at some point.. no?

Or is this a lost cause?
Drama Queen

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

You can assume Canon up until DR1376 as reference.

iirc ALFA live used a start date of 1376 .....and every RL year that passes is a year in Canon.

But after the start line of 1376 ALFA Canon diverges from FR canon.

Now the WotC stuff...the game stuff.........not canon
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

As I recall, Luskan and Neverwinter haven't had a "hot" war for quite a while now. But there must have been countless skirmishes and altercations over the years. Especially surrounding the Ruathym affair. :fencing:
Xityar
Builder

Post by Xityar »

And since I'm playing an elf, time is not so much an issue :)

I'll continue my vaugueness until I hear of a clear decision.
Drama Queen

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Hmm, not sure you are going to get a more clear response than that. Anything published for 1375 and prior we will be using as ALFA starting canon. Anything after that is dependent on in-game events. Specific details are probably found in the various sourcebooks, such as the Grand History of the Realms.
Mulu
Mental Welfare Queen

Post by Mulu »

Or if you don't want to buy a book.

Timeline
Neverwinter Connections Dungeon Master since 2002! :D
Click for the best roleplaying!

On NWVault by me:
X-INV, X-COM, War of the Worlds, Lantan University.
furtivefigure
Dungeon Master

Post by furtivefigure »

Mulu wrote:Or if you don't want to buy a book.

Timeline
Very handy reference there, thanks.
Past characters: Shallac of Swordstone, Egg

Current character: ?
dob85y
Ogre

Post by dob85y »

Can someone verify that present day timeline and stickyify that (or copy it) for our reference use.
"thats dob85y, sound it out! - d o b b s y"
"Hey man, this aint no game, this is serious"

Shiver

Previous Toon
Ward Halliams - Priest of Kelemvor
Tirus Blazingeye
Ryu Yahchamazina Shield of Helm - Everwatch Knights
Aelred
Builder

Post by Aelred »

Here is what I could find searching The Grand History of the Realms. Note that the Wailing death (1372) is indeed canon and serves as the basis for the game's official campaign, but none of the events in the game or expansions are canon.

87 DR Year of the Hoar Frost
Eigersstor (Neverwinter) is founded.
457 DR Year of the Unfurled Flag
The mages Aganazzar, Ilyykur, Presper, and Grimwald found the School of Wizardry in Neverwinter and begin taking on apprentices from around Faerûn.
1081 DR Year of the Disastrous Bauble
Another one of the Four Founders of the Covenant dies when the Red Wizards of Thay kill Aganazzar in their assault on the School of Wizardry in Neverwinter. By year’s end, the two groups are engaged in a titanic wizardwar.
1301 DR Year of the Trumpet
A mercenary army sponsored by merchant interests in Waterdeep and Neverwinter rides against orc-ridden Illusk
1302 DR Year of the Broken Helm
Illusk is retaken and rebuilt with aid from Neverwinter, then renamed Luskan.
1310 DR Year of Storms
A vast pirate fleet from the Nelanther Isles attacks and conquers Luskan. The leaders of the pirate fleet (Taerl, Baram, Kurth, Suljack, and Rethnor) declare themselves the new rulers of the city, each taking the title of High Captain.
1311 DR Year of the Fist
The mage Arklem Greeth comes to Luskan and bypasses the ancient magic wards that Laeral Silverhand placed around the Host Tower. He forms the Brotherhood of the Arcane with the aid of the Old Ones powerful liches who were once members of the legendary Grand Cabal of Illusk. Arklem names himself Archmage Arcane of the Brotherhood.
1354 DR Year of the Bow
The High Captains of Luskan come fully under the sway of the Arcane Brotherhood, cementing its secret rule over the city.
1372 DR Year of Wild Magic Tarsakh 30: Citizens of Neverwinter begin falling ill from a plague later known as the Wailing Death. Within a few tendays, most inhabitants of the city are dead or dying.

Some very interesting info...from the FR Wiki http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/
-Neverwinter is often referred to as The City of Skilled Hands or the Jewel of the North.
-Neverwinter's master-craftsmen make lamps of multi-coloured glass, precision water clocks and exquisite jewellery.
-The city of Neverwinter serves as the origin of the phrase "By the clocks of Neverwinter", used when one is solemly swearing, a reference to the precision of its timepieces.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

dob85y wrote:Can someone verify that present day timeline and stickyify that (or copy it) for our reference use.
Which part are you referring to?
dob85y
Ogre

Post by dob85y »

Just the general modern history, Not all of us are FR buffs, and this stuff is good for new character background and insperation.
"thats dob85y, sound it out! - d o b b s y"
"Hey man, this aint no game, this is serious"

Shiver

Previous Toon
Ward Halliams - Priest of Kelemvor
Tirus Blazingeye
Ryu Yahchamazina Shield of Helm - Everwatch Knights
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

dob85y wrote:Just the general modern history, Not all of us are FR buffs, and this stuff is good for new character background and insperation.
So by that, you mean you want some info for 1375 (2008) and info for 1376 (2009-present)? I don't have that info readily at hand, though I am sure someone can link it easily enough.