Permanent Warlock invocations

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
Griffen
Goblin Scout

Permanent Warlock invocations

Post by Griffen »

I had a question regarding some of the warlock's permanent invocations, like Dark One's own Luck, or Beguiling influence. In DnD lore, they're permanent effects once that invocation is selected, but in the NWN2 they must be casted every time the player logs in, rests, etc. My question is whether "casting" that invocation should be counted as a visible casting or not. In optimal cases the warlock could just try to log in, go to a closet by himself and cast it, but what if he's put on the spot and really needs it (say for RP reasons he needs that high diplomacy skill that Beguiling Influence gives him) should nearby players ignore the visual effect since it shouldn't be needed?

Also, were any of the warlock invocations altered? I can't recall if wizard/sorceror spells were altered to fit PnP spells closer or not, and I saw no mention of warlock invocations being altered.

Thanks.
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Re: Permanent Warlock invocations

Post by Rotku »

Not too sure about the Warlock part, sorry. But just on the thing in general, this really shouldn't be too big a problem. Simple politeness dictates that you should make an effort to log out somewhere that there won't be people around when you log back in - few things more immersion breaking than having a PC appear in the middle of your conversation ;)
< Signature Free Zone >
NickD
Beholder

Post by NickD »

IIRC, warlocks were allowed on the basis that Flee the Scene was going to be nerfed considerably before anyone got to a high enough level to cast the invocation. I don't know if anyone has found the time to decide how it will be nerfed and/or implement the nerftation, though. Might be better to just not take it.
Current PCs:
NWN1: Soppi Widenbottle, High Priestess of Yondalla.
NWN2: Gruuhilda, Tree Hugging Half-Orc
dob85y
Ogre

Post by dob85y »

Rotku wrote:Not too sure about the Warlock part, sorry. But just on the thing in general, this really shouldn't be too big a problem. Simple politeness dictates that you should make an effort to log out somewhere that there won't be people around when you log back in - few things more immersion breaking than having a PC appear in the middle of your conversation ;)
This problem can also occur if you have been online longer than 24 hours Game time.

Having played a closet warlock, this by far it the worst scenario, i found casting prior to transitioning after your companions have ATed before you worked, though every time you AT, you get the purple mist and soundeffects anyway.

And no, Warlocks havnt had any abilities changed that ive noticed.
"thats dob85y, sound it out! - d o b b s y"
"Hey man, this aint no game, this is serious"

Shiver

Previous Toon
Ward Halliams - Priest of Kelemvor
Tirus Blazingeye
Ryu Yahchamazina Shield of Helm - Everwatch Knights
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

dob85y wrote:
Rotku wrote:Not too sure about the Warlock part, sorry. But just on the thing in general, this really shouldn't be too big a problem. Simple politeness dictates that you should make an effort to log out somewhere that there won't be people around when you log back in - few things more immersion breaking than having a PC appear in the middle of your conversation ;)
This problem can also occur if you have been online longer than 24 hours Game time.
The I say to you, go get a life and stop playing NWN so much :eew:
Yeah, sure. I can't talk about getting away from NWN... but still.
< Signature Free Zone >