Cleric Domains for NWN2-ALFA (Full listing)

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
Amar
Ogre

Re: Cleric Domains for NWN2-ALFA (Full listing)

Post by Amar »

Tiamat -- Evil, Law, Strength*
*cough* Did anyone look at the list of PnP Domains for Tiamat?

PnP:
Domains Destruction, Dragon, Evil, Greed, Hatred, Law, Scalykind, Trickery, Tyranny

Ones that exist in NWN:

Dustruction, Evil, Law, Trickery

In addition, the non-canon bonus of the strength domain, while it was put in place to fill empty slots, makes no sense for Tiamat, as she does not look favorably on strength or put any sort of backing behind it. She is all deception, doublethink and trickery. Shadow or Death would be better additions for non-canon domains to fit with her nature. That said, dropping strength and adding Destruction and Trickery would fill out her list enough to give real choices.
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

AmarSldstill wrote:
Tiamat -- Evil, Law, Strength*
*cough* Did anyone look at the list of PnP Domains for Tiamat?
*cough cough* Did you did check the Forgotten Realms Tiamat? :chin:

Kidding aside, the list could do with some eyeballin' before being set in stone.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

hollyfant wrote:and were any of the proposed changes incorporated?
The "Death versus Undeath" question for Kelemvor is still an open one, I do think for practical purposes Undeath is more appropriate (Extra Turning vs. Summon Shadow).

I'm not opposed to adding "Trickery" with or without removing Strength from Tiamat's domains for ALFA; Faiths and Pantheons lists her domains as Evil, Law, Scalykind, and Tyranny (as opposed to Trickery, which is listed for classic tricksters Mask and Erevan, for example). I believe we used Strength elsewhere (Bane?) as a substitute for Tyranny, so that was the logic there.

I take it there are other sources being drawn from for Tiamat and trickery? I'm certainly no authority on draconic diety canon (unless you count reading the dragonlance novels way back in high school).
coach
Canon Police

Post by coach »

late to the party here but ... domains derived from FR sources below are a mixture of 2e and 3e

i have a hard time just randomly taking away and/or giving new domains to deities without a canon reference as to why their domains have changed (WotC obviously doesn't have this concern) ... so I simply make available the domains that have been listed for a deity in canon in the past unless there is a drastic change in their outlook

that being said, some of Tiamat's domains simply don't make sense so i'd lean to the 3e ones listed in the above post while keeping greed, dragons, scalykind

Tiamat morphed from a draconic deity in 1e to a human deity in 2e and 3e
TIAMAT –

Manifestations: The Chromatic Dragon, The Dragon Queen, The Dark Lady, The Nemesis of the Gods, The Undying Queen

(sources : FR Faiths and Pantheons, FR Powers and Pantheons, FR Campaign Setting, FR9 The Bloodstone Lands, FR10 The Old Empires, H4 module The Throne of Bloodstone)

Symbol: Five-headed dragon
Alignment: LE
Allies: none
Foes: Ilmater, Bane
Domains: destruction, hatred, trickery, evil, law, scalykind, tyranny, chromatic dragons, greed, necromancy, protection, animal, combat, divination, healing, time, wards, weather, guardian, charm, summoning
Worshippers: Chromatic dragons, Evil Dragons, Cult of the Dragon, fighters, sorcerers, wizards, thieves, assassins, blackguards, clerics (many clerics multiclass)
Cleric Alignments: LE, LN, NE
Favored weapon: dragon head (heavy pick)
Other weapons: all bludgeoning, longsword
Armor: any
Bonus skill: can speak draconic
Affiliated orders: Serpent Guard, Knights of the Talon, Wyrmkeepers, The Pentagon
Garrigan DeLorre - Paladin 6 - died honorably in battle
X'Anne - Witch (Druid/Ranger mix) 4 - captured and imprisoned awaiting trial (retired)
Talon Xavaliir - Cleric 11 - living

"I didn't know he only had six kids, I thought he had millions." (on the passing of Gary Gygax)
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

Affiliated orders: Serpent Guard, Knights of the Talon, Wyrmkeepers, The Pentagon

The Pentagon serves TIAMAT!!! :gape:
Vendrin

Post by Vendrin »

Is there a reason Fury was removed from Bane's domains? it was originally agreed that it would be an appropriate stand in for the hatred domain.
-Vendrin
<fluff> vendrin is like a drug
Vendrin

Post by Vendrin »

Vendrin wrote:Is there a reason Fury was removed from Bane's domains? it was originally agreed that it would be an appropriate stand in for the hatred domain.
Would still like an answer for this.
-Vendrin
AsteroidX
Brown Bear

Post by AsteroidX »

I dont know what thread it was in but I remember a short convo about it.
NickD
Beholder

Post by NickD »

Vendrin wrote:
Vendrin wrote:Is there a reason Fury was removed from Bane's domains? it was originally agreed that it would be an appropriate stand in for the hatred domain.
Would still like an answer for this.
http://www.alandfaraway.org/forums/view ... 53&start=2
Got a PM from Mr.Duncan on the same topic (Fury domain), indicating his impression that Bane in particular should have Strength rather than Fury.

His opinion is that Fury fits better for Auril, Umberlee, Malar, and Talos.

Further along this line, he suggested that the Fury domain would be better removed entirely than applied to thematically inappropriate deities.
Current PCs:
NWN1: Soppi Widenbottle, High Priestess of Yondalla.
NWN2: Gruuhilda, Tree Hugging Half-Orc
Vendrin

Post by Vendrin »

My impression was that the gods of fury got all their domains that they do in pnp, while bane is lacking quite a few, as such fury was a replacement for hatred since the abilities granted were fairly similar.
-Vendrin
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Are you requesting that we revisit the domains for Bane?

I am not sure what they are at present, nor what you might propose. If you have any suggestions I can post them in the thread.

I'm not going to make a pattern of constantly tweaking things. However if there was a recent change that we need to look into rolling back, then it is worth discussing.
Vendrin

Post by Vendrin »

Well it was discussed back when it was first decided to give Fury to Bane instead of Hatred, and was approved then.

Mr. D told me his goal in that pm wasn't to remove fury from bane but to get it added to the god of the Furies.

Just seems like the pointless change was taking it off in the first place, once it had been decided it was a suitable replacement.
-Vendrin
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I've started a discussion about possibly undoing the recent change:

http://www.alandfaraway.org/forums/view ... 23#p516823
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

Another issue: Sseth is selectable as a patron by Yuan-Ti characters. Set, Varae and Mershaulk are mentioned as aliases. But according to Serpent Kingdoms each "seperate" God has its own alignment and domains, none of which has been set in stone for ALFA.

There's no hurry in this, anyone who would look for permission to play a Yuan-Ti would already have done their homework I imagine. But if we set the rules for all other clerics, those of Sseth should not be exempted.
Copper
Kobold Footpad

Post by Copper »

Blowing a bit of dust off this topic, I'm still amazed at how many things are in NWN2 that aren't in NWN1. Including so many domains!

I was reading through the listings however and noticed that there are some available domains in-game that don't show up here.

The domains Moon and Portal stood out at first sight. Selune (human pantheon), Sehanine Moonbow (elven), Eilistraee, Sharindlar (dwarven) and maybe some orcish goddess have Moon domain. Shaundakul and Eilistraee have the Portal domain. There are perhaps a few more domains that are in NWN2 (or just ALFA... I'm sorry! Knowledge isn't on my side), but not listed here.

Are these non-mentioned domains disallowed, negotiable, or maybe just not mentioned through lack of extra time? If the latter - would it have any merit that I try to pinpoint these extra domains from in-game that do fit deities, according to Faiths&Pantheons?

~ Copper