Funeral Ceremonies

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

Glad to help. :)
beowulf
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by beowulf »

perhaps what you should do is hav a set of rituals for spific deitys for instance. if nature based they become fertiliser if elemental they become part of that element. if elven um fed to the trees. if eveil head removed and cross made from there thigh bones. and so on and so forth. if unknown deity use a defalt like basic what would your church do for one of there own. if you stick to this anyone who has a problem with your practices reashure them that when there time comes if they have a last will on them then you will fallow it. maybe take some mesurments on the spot. or at least thats how i would play it
Storm
Goblin Scout

Post by Storm »

beowulf wrote:perhaps what you should do is hav a set of rituals for spific deitys for instance. if nature based they become fertiliser if elemental they become part of that element. if elven um fed to the trees. if eveil head removed and cross made from there thigh bones. and so on and so forth. if unknown deity use a defalt like basic what would your church do for one of there own. if you stick to this anyone who has a problem with your practices reashure them that when there time comes if they have a last will on them then you will fallow it. maybe take some mesurments on the spot. or at least thats how i would play it
I disagree in part, having set rituals isnt the best way, its stifling of RP and the players creativity.

In the past 4 years ive had the misfortune to attend 12 funerals of reletives and friends, no 2 were the same, even for services of the same faith.

A basic structurs is a good idea, such as priests in RL have, however its upto the individual priest how that structure is used and enhanced. The in game situations should be the same, its upto the character how they express their faith. For example a conservative member of the faith would perform a completely different ritual format to say a zealot. They'd probably follow the smae basic theory, ie, telkling their god a new soul is coming etc, but they'd not necisserily do it the same way.

If someone takes offense to your chars perfoamnces ICly, handle as how your character really would. More RP can be generated from this, and its always fun having religous debates :)

If it's OOCly, tell them to swivel and not to tell you how to RP you char (politely of course :P) If its a DM, find out what they think your doing wrong, and talk it over, provide back up docs on where you got the ideas from. If you've adapted a RL service, provide docs on it, and why you felt it was a good idea.

While i've limited experience with the DM's on ALFA, i've found them to be very open to new ideas and concepts, and even offer good advioce on how to expand the original, they just want to understand the concept behind your actions.
Vaelahr
Owlbear

Post by Vaelahr »

For burial/funerals for non-humans, Demihuman Deities is a good source for information. Each race has a deity with "the dead" in thier portfolio.

Dwarves: Dumathoin
Elves: Sehanine Moonbow
Gnomes: Segojan Earthcaller
Halflings: Urogalan

The "Holy Days/Important Ceremonies" section details burial practices for the race.
"The God of the Qurʾan is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -- Vaelahr
Mayhem
Otyugh

Post by Mayhem »

Frankly, given the number of undead that walk around the realms, I'm surprised cremation isn't compulsory.

Hmm...

*creates new undead creature consisting of a shadowy, buring cloud of stinging funereal ashes*
*** ANON: has joined #channel
ANON: Mod you have to be one of the dumbest f**ks ive ever met
MOD: hows that ?
ANON: read what I said
ANON: You feel you can ban someone on a whim
MOD: i can, watch this
ANON: its so stupid how much power you think you have