Elven Bond - Interesting Read

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
Mick
Beholder

Re: Elven Bond - Interesting Read

Post by Mick »

NickD wrote:Half-orcs don't do this bonding thing because they sleep with like 20 chicks every night.
And that's just the chick half-orcs!
Because they're so awesome. Half-orcs could only eat once a month like elves if they wanted to, but that would be totally bogus, so they eat heaps. Because they're so awesome.

I think we can all learn something from half-orcs.
I'm pretty sure Chuck Norris is actually a half-orc.

Oh, and to get back on topic...all elves should die, preferably upon a pyre built from the dried husks that are their personalities and fueled with the nonaromatic (just ask them) shit that proceeds from their invariably pretentious asses.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

Oh, and to get back on topic...all elves should die, preferably upon a pyre built from the dried husks that are their personalities and fueled with the nonaromatic (just ask them) sh*t that proceeds from their invariably pretentious asses.
hardly on topic :P

so, I'll make the above comment on topic.

Why exactly do some people hate elves so much? and why do others love them so much? (oddly enough it really does seem that they are like marmite)
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Because even though they THINK they're the most badass at crafting.....

They're really not. The fact that the elven patron of crafting is also the elven patron of bards, poetry, warriors, magic, music, art, war just shows you how unspecialized the elven crafters really are... "hrrmm...yeah, let's go ahead and lump all this in with the elven Father...cause...ummm...yeah....." :P
Last edited by danielmn on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

hehe, no we all know that title belongs to the gnomes! :D
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Agreed.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

gribo
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gribo »

You don't need to specialize when you have time to learn everything you want.
Nuclear winter is coming
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Again, proving my point. Pointy. :P :twisted:

Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

My next PC shall be an elf.
< Signature Free Zone >
NickD
Beholder

Post by NickD »

One of my character concepts is an elven elf.
Current PCs:
NWN1: Soppi Widenbottle, High Priestess of Yondalla.
NWN2: Gruuhilda, Tree Hugging Half-Orc
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Audark wrote:Power corrupts all things, when the elves achieved their height before the crown wars they became more and more powerful with their understanding of Mythals and High Magic. They had no common enemy left to fight to unite them, humankind had not even begun to learn magic nor be worthy of notice. The dragon empires had fallen, only the occasional orc horde was a threat, and they were always beaten back.

In their quest for knowledge and power they were corrupted, Elves are arrogant creatures, even more so when they truly had no challengers in Faerun. The dealt with demons, devils and dark gods. The Seldarine was sundered with Lolth being cast down to the pit. The Vyshaan empire oppressed and murdered whole nations.

I do not think it correct to view elves as peaceful creatures, in their long lives they may spend hundreds of years at peace, but elves are capable of a violence unmatched by the shorter lived races. Elves like to believe themselves superior, above baser things, but when pressed they are creatures of beautiful violence and terrible vengeance. They may be slow to the sword, but once they take it up, you never really know how much blood it will take to sate it.

The history of the elves is a terrible one, they achieved immense power in the adolescence of their time, and they lashed out with it like spoiled children. The elves that remain today live with that haunting past and try to be better than those who came before. They are still capable of the same violence and weakness as ever, but their collected horror at what their own power wrought has them slow to action, slow to combine with others and isolated in enclaves like Evermeet and Evereska. Even reclaimed Myth Drannor is just a city state, no longer the empire of the Cormanthor. I would guess that never again would you see an Elven nation or empire, precisely because they fear what they may become.

Elves, beautiful, graceful, kind and also terrible, wretched, bigoted and violent. The elven experience is broad enough to encompass this dichotomy. The view of elves as aloof, beautiful peace loving creatures I would say is more of a human impression of elves from afar, than anything nearing a true description of what elves really are.
+1

Well put.

Elves archetypically represent an 'otherliness' (influence of Tolkien), at the same time the elves of both Tolkien's world and FR are flawed in surprisingly 'mortal' ways; they are not gods or valar or angelic. While the elves of Middle Earth didn't quite have have Crown wars they had tragedy due to arrogance of the most powerful of them all giving way to pride, which led to the domination of Melkor (Sauron's boss), etc. Feanor's kin even slew other elves, though it only happened once as I recall. This is all pre LotR in the Silmarilion; by the time LotR unfolds they are already in their twilight and passing west, recalling the heights of their history in the distant past.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Yeah.... that's why Tolkien's the master, not Ed Greenwood.

Asking why elves are hated is like asking why America is hated.

Oh, and putting up posts like this from the Complete Book of Elves (there are far worse ones actually, if you're concerned about power/balance issues) is a sure fire way to draw out the elf hate. ;)
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Vendrin
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Vendrin »

And it should probably be in Realmslore.
-Vendrin
<fluff> vendrin is like a drug
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

NickD wrote:One of my character concepts is an elven elf.
Yes, but your PCs last for ever. So that's not really saying much.

Anyway, Vendrin's right... I guess there's no harm in moving it.
< Signature Free Zone >
Happycrow
Dire Badger

Post by Happycrow »

Erevain wrote:However the point to the thread was supposed to be for people that might have an interest (there are a few) to read, not really for a I love Elves or I hate Elves debate.

Awww, can't WE play, too? :(
Happycrow
Dire Badger

Post by Happycrow »

Serious point to why the elf-hating?

a) because it's fun.
b) because there are SO many emo Mary/Marty Sue/Stue elven characters in fiction and rpg play. I mean, Drizzt the Duergar? I ain't seein' it...
Mirabai
Orc Champion

Post by Mirabai »

My opinion:

In order to maintain their "otherness", elves should not be a playable race. No offense to anyone playing one out there, I just rarely see them played they way I want to see them played. Most of the time I just think of them as snotty humans with some enhanced abilities, to spare my immersion.

Agree with Ithildur: Tolkien, not Greenwood, is the master.
---Elsewhere---