Games of skill and strategy

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
thinkpig
Orc Champion

Games of skill and strategy

Post by thinkpig »

I'm trying to flesh out my character's childhood and I want to include some games of skill and strategy... stuff like horseshoes, with FR flavor. I know the dark elves have a chess-like strategy game called Saava I think? Does anyone know if that game would exist much on the surface? Can you guys recall any other games of these types that exist in canon? Thanks in advance for your input:)
"So Mom, Dad... about that gold those guys brought me when I was a baby. You remember that GOLD, right?" - Jesus
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Re: Games of skill and strategy

Post by Curmudgeon »

In the Realms there is a chess-like game called lanceboard. It is much studied among the followers of the Red Knight.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

There was also a chess-like game on NWN1 ALFA sembia.....can't remeber the name now, but you could sit outside at the cafe-shoppe and play.

And I think Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul played a game of "knucklebones" for Jegal's portfoli too....not sure if it is a random "craps like" game or if there is skill involved
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
HATEFACE
Dr. Horrible

Post by HATEFACE »

Rotku listed the rules of Farkle on the silverymoon IC forum, you can also find the rules on wiki along with other die games.
“In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.” - Open Message to the Executive Branch.
thinkpig
Orc Champion

Post by thinkpig »

Thanks for the input guys, time to do some follow up research :)
"So Mom, Dad... about that gold those guys brought me when I was a baby. You remember that GOLD, right?" - Jesus