Myth Drannor - Dawnspire location?

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Re: Myth Drannor - Dawnspire location?

Post by hollyfant »

Whatever scraps of lore I managed to dig up, contradicted all the other. So I think you're free to plonk it down wherever you want it.
hollyfant

Post by hollyfant »

I'm not sure how my answer ended up above the question, but there you go.

I'm special like that. :spin:
hollyfant

Post by hollyfant »

Oh wait, now I know: you're editing.
Aelred
Builder

Myth Drannor - Dawnspire location?

Post by Aelred »

- In the Ruins of Myth Drannor sourcebook there is a whole chapter dedicated to Lathander and his temple the Dawnspire but there is no mention of it's location.

- On page 155 of The Grand History of the Realms it says, 1374, Mirtul 6 House Dlardrageth’s legions destroy the Morninglord’s temple in Myth Drannor, killing most of the clerics, although a few escape through
a portal.

- The Farthest Reach, Book Two of the Last Mythal series mentions the temple in passing on page 27. "The temple to Lathander had been the last bastion of explorers and adventurers remaining within the walls."

- On Midsummer of 1374 we know from the Grand History of the Realms that..."Sunlord Daelegoth Orndeir, leader of the Risen Sun heresy, calls his faithful to Elversult to witness the first sign of Amaunator’s ascension. The sunlord then casts Amaunator’s eternal sun, which brings forth a second sun that never sets over the city of Elversult. Word spreads quickly across Faerûn, and would-be converts begin showing up at the doors of the Morninglord’s temples, seeking to convert to the “church of Amaunator.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Now that I'm building Myth Drannor I'd like to have a new church of Amaunator build in the same place where the Dawnspire was previously but I can not find the exact location. (no mention at all of the temple in Cormanthyr: Empire fo the Elves or in The Fall of Myth Drannor) I also checked in Curse of the Azure Bonds and Attack on Myth Drannor(Pool of Radiance) as well as the maps I have.

True it is easy enough to just build it wherever I want - but I would hate to later realize that there is a canon source with the correct location.

Could any canon experts give me any advice as to the Dawnspire's exact location?
hollyfant

Post by hollyfant »

Anyway, most indications seem to be it's either just inside, or just outside the city proper. Since the worship of Lathander involves dawn (and the thing is called the Dawnspire), some place with a good view to the east would be logical.