New Creator Discussion

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: New Creator Discussion

Post by Zelknolf »

HEEGZ wrote:Okay, so apparently the traps spawn in just fine, however they are completely invisible to DM avatars. Going to have to go back and double check I only tried spawning them into the DM areas...

Per Adanu, had to spawn a NPC rogue, possess, click spot to detect traps, then walk around until they showed up.
Yeah, that's a big part of why I think a tool to keep track of them is important, and why I want to revise an existing one (like the chooser) to do it-- both for reduced clutter and superior visibility. And apparently superior performance, by the reports off in the release thread.

But confirming the state of placeables and placed effects-- you're currently not seeing anything default, but you're seeing everything custom (at least as far as you can see)? Exceptions, if they exist, would be helpful.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

It appears that maybe only the placeables are not working correctly. I'd like to double check the other servers before posting anything else.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Zelknolf wrote:But confirming the state of placeables and placed effects-- you're currently not seeing anything default, but you're seeing everything custom (at least as far as you can see)? Exceptions, if they exist, would be helpful.
Apparently the only issue is with placeables. Specifically ones starting with resref "plc_" and on all three servers besides MS. I was wrong on the effects starting with "fx_" as they were in a folder labelled "empty" that I had overlooked. Lights seem to be fine as well. Also, traps are spawning in game invisible to DMs, but detectable and disarmable using NPC rogues. Sorry for the confusion in my earlier posts. I was originally going to go back and edit them, as I wasn't expecting responses for a while.

[edit]
To be very specific, this is the core problem distilled from the past hour. Generic placeables starting with "plc_" are not showing up in creator menus on all servers. They are also the ones categorized in:

01 - Builder Props
02 - Manmade Props
03 - Nature Props
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Yes, trap disarming is super hackey for DMs right now-- the very fastest way to do it is to spawn an elven rogue, buff its int up to 50, and then make it run around until it uncovers traps. The act of spotting one will make it stop running, so commanding it to run around via CE will totally work.

Disarming is instant and automatic if your DM avatar uses the disarm widget.

I know it's totally a pain, but it's as far as I could get, and we were getting a huge backlog of things just sitting around waiting for release (and the DM team had said before I started that being blind placing effective traps was better than seeing placing ineffective traps, so I called that OK for release)

I can see the missing OE placeables on my test server. I'll try to figure out what it's doing.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

It is, specifically, every placeable which gets its name from a talk table reference. This happens to include every OE placeable, but doesn't necessarily exclude custom ones.

The issue can, fortunately, be resolved with a server-only hotfix that requires no compile, but can't be distributed by our old hotfix means, because the libraries we're using to build the DM Creator hold fast onto the haks of the running module (so you'd have to convince folk to place the hotfix manually if it's adequately important).

Taking it would also represent somewhat less performance cost to module startup. Actually collecting all of the placeables is much cheaper than catching exceptions on most of them.

The debugging info I found has also found some other problem with the kemo benches. I will look into that before uploading the hotfix, but it will be optional, based on the needs and preferences of the individual servers.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

DM FTP under /NWN2/HAK/v1.90_Hotfix

No recompile necessary. Drop in server's hak directory.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Zelknolf wrote:DM FTP under /NWN2/HAK/v1.90_Hotfix

No recompile necessary. Drop in server's hak directory.
SWEET! Many thanks and all that.

I have duly spammed all the HDMs with requests for the optional hotfix. :twisted: