Quick 1.83 "Darkwood" question

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Quick 1.83 "Darkwood" question

Post by Brokenbone »

Hak 1.83 seems full of goodies, great stuff.

Quick question (I think!)

I saw a bunch of new shield types for the sake of armor rules. For those unaware, this is a property way down the properties window under "Behavior", it's the first dropdown entry about "Armor type (for game rules)", where you could pick something like "Heavy Shield" or "Masterwork Heavy Shield" pre 1.83, but now there's also "Darkwood_HeavyShield" as an option.

If you select one of these new options, the next line below, a greyed out "Armor Rules Info" will at least tell you things like ACP and weight and whatnot, I can see the stuff that I'd hope to see if toggling back and forth between normal shields or their darkwood/zalantar counterparts. The net effect or desired impact is presumably to "do all of these nice things without having to add item properties", so if a shield is already on a light-weight, lowered ACP base item type, people aren't adding "negative weight" type modifiers or plusses to skills...

Query though: does it actually "work" in game, in the way that the Masterwork Shield item types never have?

And if it DOES work (which fingers crossed, it does), is there any way to maybe make the currently bugged MW shield item types either work, or have lookalikes as new like, line items, that WOULD work? Scuttlebutt is that MW shield items have never worked, that somehow those 2da lines just don't get "read" right, so again, I wonder if we've gotten the game to somehow respect this new darkwood stuff in the "rules" field, if we could make it respect some kind of "ALFA MW Lt /Hvy /Tow Shd"...?

Anyhow, it felt like a quick question at first, hah.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Zelknolf

Re: Quick 1.83 "Darkwood" question

Post by Zelknolf »

Might shoot paazin a PM about the function; darkwood shields were his project and (theoretically) his testing.
AcadiusLost

Post by AcadiusLost »

As of the last time I tested, armorruleset.2da lines for shields remain totally ignored by the NWN2 engine. Could be Paazin found a way around this somehow, but wouldn't hold your breath on it.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

I did wonder the same when I read of the update... And thought Darkwood Shields would be a new base item since like said, shield base items armor type entry is ignored. Guess not :?