Torches bug, a possible cause

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

t-ice
Dungeon Master

Torches bug, a possible cause

Post by t-ice »

Noted this:
general bugs wrote:Custom made Torches/lanterns don't seem to work in ALFA.
Maybe some observations of mine from back can help, maybe people know this already, but here goes.

Torches bought from stores don't (usually) work either. Ones I bought from BG starting merchant at least do not. The funny thing is, the torch is only bought non-working if the merchant has inventory of "inifite". If you drop, say, 20 torches to the shop individually, they all fire up when wielded. Problem is, shop might run out, especially if it re-stocks only on server reset.

This seems to apply to any item with the torchlight vfx on it.

I have no idea under what circumstance, if any, a torch is spent and no longer fires.

Also I am not sure what happens with avatar-muled-in torches. But if memory serves they do work.

One workaround is to use the visual:fire and light properties on the item, instead of the torch vfx. This does kill the rather neat flutter effect that is present in torchlight, but not on the light property. Also if applied on a torch item, it might make the whole torch be on fire, including the hand, or those properties might not be available on a torch base item. Can't recall. But this is reliable "fire", and can at least be used on weapons and weapon-like items to have them ablaze.
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Re: Torches bug, a possible cause

Post by Curmudgeon »

t-ice wrote:Torches bought from stores don't (usually) work either. Ones I bought from BG starting merchant at least do not. The funny thing is, the torch is only bought non-working if the merchant has inventory of "inifite". If you drop, say, 20 torches to the shop individually, they all fire up when wielded. Problem is, shop might run out, especially if it re-stocks only on server reset.
Properly configured ACR Shops, like NPCs, are spawned from a Waypoint whenever a PC (or DM) enters the area, and despawn shortly after the last PC leaves the area. This means that the shop "restocks" each time that it is Entered (after having been empty for a short time). Thus, stocking only a few single torches should be sufficient. This also means that if a module maintainer should discover a problem with an item, they need only to replace the item blueprint in the module, rather than having to iterate through every area to replace it.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

This is pretty bizarre. The torches don't seem to fire up but they still do give off a light radius.

This has to be a NWN2 bug.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Piling up on it, I've had people tell me that they don't see the fire on the torch when I do. So apparently it can also wary between clients.

Bottom line seems to be that the torchhand item vfx is bugged, but probably not beyond use long as you don't stock infinite amount of torches to shops. Should also note that the torchhand vfx makes the "model 1" part be on fire. On most weapons this is fine, but on many weaponlike objects holding on to such an object would make it look like the hand is engulfed in flames.
Curmudgeon wrote: if a module maintainer should discover a problem with an item, they need only to replace the item blueprint in the module, rather than having to iterate through every area to replace it.
From a builder point of view, this is very nice :)
Basilica
Orc Champion

Post by Basilica »

Can you always repro the different behavior between clients?

Did somebody enter the area after the torch was equipped? If the torch works based on a custom animation, then these aren't saved and replayed to new players entering the area which might yield the observed result.
- Basilica
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Basilica wrote:If the torch works based on a custom animation, then these aren't saved and replayed to new players entering the area which might yield the observed result.
It's nwn2 basic vfx_torchhand item visual effect that is quite bugged. Fire vfx works (at least for weapons that have a separate "model part 1" which is ignited), as does light, and the combination of them creates almost a torch/lantern. What you lack is the neat flicker of torchlight.