Resting in light armor induces fatigue?

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Resting in light armor induces fatigue?

Post by Ithildur »

I realize the fatigue for resting in armor system we have is not exactly like 3.5 RAW for whatever reason, but having people wearing light armor get fatigued is puzzling; per 3.5 raw someone wearing light armor should get absolutely no penalty/fatigue for resting in armor.

I saw this happen with a new player whose PC was wearing leather armor while resting and rolled low enough on the fort save and end up fatigued. I was surprised and a bit dismayed, even though his response (ooc) along the lines of 'that's interesting, closer to pnp' was quite gracious if not totally accurate.

It's another disadvantage light armor folks have here that does not exist in pnp.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Audark
Owlbear

Re: Resting in light armor induces fatigue?

Post by Audark »

I believe generally you have to roll really low to get fatigued in light armour, by level 3 or 4 berendil couldn't be fatigued unless he rolled a 1. Heavy armour makes the save DC really high in comparison, so while heavy fighters MUST remove that plate to rest, rangers and light armour wearers may not have to, but should to remove any chance of fatigue.

Also since resting is most frequently done in safe or safe-ish areas I don't see how removing your armour matters, your ac is like 5 when resting anyways so if something did come up to gank you, they'll be doing so with or without the armour.

I don't really see many situations where resting in armour is any kind of advantage, therefore I don't really see it as much of a disadvantage to those in light armour.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

For a low lvl bard or rogue, there is a significant chance of getting fatigued in chain shirt. Even at higher lvls, anyone that's played with something like a 'no crit failures on saves' ruleset knows what a huge difference there is between chance of xyz on 1 and no chance of xyz.

The question is, regardless of how low or high the save is why is there a penalty at all? There's no penalty in 3.5 RAW or nwn2.

What about getting interrupted during rest? Or resting and having no time to don armor before the monster attacks? One advantage of light armor is you're supposed to be able to sleep in it and get up and be ready to go right away in an ambush or random encounter, etc with no ill effects.

All this light armor stuff doesn't really effect my PC; he wears medium armor and probably will for a while. I simply can't understand why we keep penalizing light armor types/taking away benefits they're supposed to have.

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Audark
Owlbear

Post by Audark »

Fair enough,

I've got no arguments beyond playing a light armour user and it never really being an issue to me personally. I understand the desire to move more towards PnP, I guess it's just not a big deal to me.

Sound points, carry on
Lucifer
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Lucifer »

Just to add two cents and agree that if possible the light armor fatigue issue would be worth fixing. I have had a rest at fourthpeak interupted by undead coming up the stairs..and immediately attacking PC's..In this instance if a PC is armored they automatically defend..If Not..they dress or fight unarmored.
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

As an interesting note, a 3rd level ranger in pnp can sleep in light AND medium armor without having fatigue. Just a thought, since armor resting is being examined.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

And speaking of interesting notes: PCs with the Steadfast Determination feat do not auto-fail a fortitude save, and can therefor safely sleep in armour - provided their base fortitude save is high enough.

It might be better to dump the current system for something more true to PnP: no penalties for light armour, and always fatigued when sleeping in medium or heavy armour.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

AFAIK this was never really addressed; did some digging around of various threads too - maybe I'm not looking in the right place? I'm still curious what the reason was for introducing a penalty that exists neither in NWN1, NWN2 vanilla, nor pnp RAW.

As mentioned above, I was somewhat embarrassed at seeing a new player with a PC in light armor get hit with rest fatigue after explaining to them and their friends that ALFA has many rule changes implemented to be closer to PnP RAW... clearly this doesn't match either the spirit or the mechanics of the rules in either NWN or PnP which specifically allow resting without danger of fatigue as a feature and benefit of light armor.

Seems an odd curiosity to me; was it just easier to code this way?

Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

as an addition to this... if you're wearing clothes that are enchanted in some way... they cause fatigue too! :oops:
Standards Member

Current PC: Elenaril Avae'Kerym of the Lynx Lodge
<Heero>: yeah for every pc ronan has killed dming, paazin has killed 2 with his spawns