Base Mod Help

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Daeftan
Skeleton's Knuckle

Base Mod Help

Post by Daeftan »

hey guys, I was the dev from the Moonsea team saying that we really needed a complete base mod to assure a smooth beta build. Therefore, I am looking to put my time where my mouth is and offer a hand to help get it finished.

Please let me know if my help is welcome and if so, what you would like me to work on. I am a competent builder (can use pretty much any of the toolset resources... I'm a little shaky with 3D modeling but somewhat competent with the particle system), a decent scripter, and have some experience in database interface and management with NWN1.
"Your young and got your health, what you want with a job?"

---- ALFA2 06-Moonsea Developer/Builder
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Hi Daeftan. Let me say that I did read your post in the other thread so I'm glad to see you volunteering. As far as the technical guidelines are concerned (you were asking about them), you'll find the important articles in our Wiki:

http://www.alandfaraway.org/docs/Technical/Technical

Keep in mind that these are not etched in stone. As the game and our needs evolve, so too will these guidelines. It's one of the things I would like to discuss with guys like you in the meeting this Friday, now that we actually have a few people building blueprints to those specifications.

As for what we need, at this juncture, primarily items. Weapons. Armor. Helmets. Shields. All manner of magical things that are defined in various sourcebooks, some of which have been documented in the NWN2 basemod content forum. If you'd like to help on the scripting front, we also have systems we yet need to develop. 1984 logging comes to mind as a fairly important one we need early on, and picking up where Hialmar left off could be a good place to start. If you'd like to help with the technical underpinnings (2DAs, TLKs, etc), there's much work to do there as well. It's all itemized below: I'm also looking for someone to actually assume the responsibility of overseeing and coordinating the content creation effort (ABR) between server teams so that I can return some of my focus to other things, particularly scripting. I've approached White Warlock but we'll see if he really wants the responsibility once he gets back, though I don't think he'll mind if someone else takes the job before then.
Daeftan
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by Daeftan »

Thanks for this information, Ciph. This really helps me see the entire project as a whole (for the first time). Honestly, things look far better than I was assuming; it looks like you and your crew are running a real profession show here.

As far as the logging thing - I assume the term '1984 logging' is a reference to Big Brother? I've never heard it used before.

It seems like something I might be able to do (I am remaining a little indecisive until I think about the project spec's more and see what has been done so far). Do I understand that Hialmar has quit working on the project?

I have been looking at the 1984 Logging thread for some ideas about what the community is looking for. Sounds like Hialmar was working in mySql, something I used before when worked on the Greyhawke Lords PW. Where can I get a look at the stuff he had already done?
"Your young and got your health, what you want with a job?"

---- ALFA2 06-Moonsea Developer/Builder
White Warlock
Otyugh

Post by White Warlock »

Aye, someone else take that spot if possible. I'll do it under duress, but i would prefer someone motivated and more 'knowledgeable' of scripting and dependencies. Not to mention i'm as controversial as a shitpan in the Ritz Hotel, which may hamper the success factor of these necessities.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Getting things written down, organized, and prioritized is the easy part. Getting the work done is the real challenge. Nobody is employed here so people come and go as they please and muster up whatever effort they choose to.

What that translates into is a very bumpy, messy, chaotic development process, and one that you cannot get your arms around or your reins on no matter how hard you try. So we progress in spurts. A little here and a little there. Not enough for our ambitions of course but it's all we've got.

If you would like to work on the logging scripts, that would be terrific. Hialmar never committed any code to our repository but I can ask him about it. This was the thread he was discussing the system in:

http://www.alandfaraway.org/phpbbforum/ ... hp?t=30723

Feel free to pick up the old thread and weave another stitch or two into ALFA. I'll do what I can to help you along.

p.s. Hialmar has not quit ALFA. He's presently running for IA (Infrastructure Admin).